Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those of you familiar with the PRP Drop-In Trigger Kit for the Mod.2 Sub-Compact 9mm.

I put 500 rounds through my new Mod.2 then took it and the PRP Drop-In to my local gun store (great guys, great store). The gun smith said it would take a couple hours to drop it in. It took him a couple days. When I picked up the gun there was no wall before the break. I'd take out the slack until it met some resistance (not the wall, just more resistance than in the take-up), then there was a spongy feel all the way back to the break. This is a completely different feel than my XDm 3.8 .40 with the PRP. It has the take-up, wall, then a nice crisp break.

The guys at the store said this isn't an XDm so it won't have the same feel. They said it's a rolling break and doesn't have a wall to hit before the break.

So... it took it to the range yesterday and not having a wall and having such a long pre-travel I found myself discharging the gun at times I didn't want to. There wasn't a reference point to get ready for the break ( I know some would say the surprise break is an advantage, in this case it's not).

Is this what's supposed to happen with the PRP Drop-In kit? Any feedback will be appreciated.

For reference, I have over 15k rounds with my XDm 3.8 .40 and about 7k rounds with my XDm 4.5 .40 so I'm not a novice shooter. Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm sure someone with a Mod.2 w/PRP will chime in, but it doesn't sound right. My XDM w/PRP is as you say your XDM is...definite wall with a break...no rolling about it.

The other thing I'll say, is call PRP. They are super helpful and if you describe that to them, I'm sure they'll tell you what was done wrong (if something is indeed wrong). They have great technical customer service!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yuck, sounds fishy the way you describe it. Not anything I would want. Almost sounds like you got a worse trigger than better.Probably better before,right?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Almost sounds like they missed a spring somewhere.

Have you tried disassembling it and starting from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a question for those of you familiar with the PRP Drop-In Trigger Kit for the Mod.2 Sub-Compact 9mm.

I put 500 rounds through my new Mod.2 then took it and the PRP Drop-In to my local gun store (great guys, great store). The gun smith said it would take a couple hours to drop it in. It took him a couple days. When I picked up the gun there was no wall before the break. I'd take out the slack until it met some resistance (not the wall, just more resistance than in the take-up), then there was a spongy feel all the way back to the break. This is a completely different feel than my XDm 3.8 .40 with the PRP. It has the take-up, wall, then a nice crisp break.

The guys at the store said this isn't an XDm so it won't have the same feel. They said it's a rolling break and doesn't have a wall to hit before the break.

So... it took it to the range yesterday and not having a wall and having such a long pre-travel I found myself discharging the gun at times I didn't want to. There wasn't a reference point to get ready for the break ( I know some would say the surprise break is an advantage, in this case it's not).

Is this what's supposed to happen with the PRP Drop-In kit? Any feedback will be appreciated.

For reference, I have over 15k rounds with my XDm 3.8 .40 and about 7k rounds with my XDm 4.5 .40 so I'm not a novice shooter. Thanks.

They are feeding you a line. I have both... and you would be hard pressed to feel a difference between the two.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yuck, sounds fishy the way you describe it. Not anything I would want. Almost sounds like you got a worse trigger than better.Probably better before,right?
The only concession I could get out of them was to put the original trigger back in... so yes, better before. They were even going to charge me for putting the original back in until I got the owner involved.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I leave that to the professionals. It's already a bit of a liability to put a custom trigger in, I'd just make it worse.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hopefully they didn’t “modify” any of your original parts so it can go back to stock. And as far as that goes no mods to your prp kit either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only concession I could get out of them was to put the original trigger back in... so yes, better before. They were even going to charge me for putting the original back in until I got the owner involved.
Glad to hear your going back to factory trigger. Give it some time with more rounds through the gun. I have the xd9 defender series and my trigger is perfect so I can't understand why a Mos.2 is different. I called the factory right after purchase to ask the difference between the two and was told the trigger guard, sights, grip texture, one more I forget. But all cosmetic so your trigger should be same as mine.Don't get sucked into mods just to make a change. As you can see this one was a night mare. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way, been there done that, I'm 72.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Although I cannot comment on your configuration your description of your XDm version is what my XD 9mm service feels like with the PRP ultimate trigger kit installed.
"This is a completely different feel than my XDm 3.8 .40 with the PRP. It has the take-up, wall, then a nice crisp break."

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Don't have a mod2. Mine is an older XD .45 Tactical. The PRP trigger kit I installed in mine is night/day better than the factory trigger.

Did you call PRP and talk to them? They seem to be very quick to help if you contact them. They were the one time I had an issue (trying to install that trigger kit in my XD .45 with thumb safeties when the trigger kit was not meant for that somewhat rare model that does have thumb safeties.)

I managed to use most of the parts and I'm quite happy with the trigger as it ended up. They even refunded my money even though I did not return the kit. So I bought some of the springs/trigger parts (not a kit) to install in the other X .45 with thumb safeties. I figured as nice as they'd been to me I needed to give them the money back (sort of).

Go to the PRP website and contact them. They'll get back to you pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I have PRP in a XD9 Service, XD40 Sub Compact, and XD45 Sub Compact. All Mod 2. I have more XD and XDM's The PRP's have more comfortable trigger shoe, slightly lighter pull, and noticeably shorter reset. Break seems very similar to stock. I am happy to have them. I installed them all by myself and I am a klutz, mine work.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I leave that to the professionals. It's already a bit of a liability to put a custom trigger in, I'd just make it worse.
They did not sound all that professional to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts