Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i've been lurking here for quite some time and now i have about a day to decide what length of xd-45 to get.

This gun is going to be mostly a range gun as i dont normally carry, but during those times that i go to the range, i go out to eat or do something else after (slight printing is okay, but ccw is a must). Is the extra 1 inch really that bothersome? What about parts, i read before that something is different with the guide rod assembly? Also, if the tactical can use 1911 springs, can the service use 1911 commander springs?

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
hi, i've been lurking here for quite some time and now i have about a day to decide what length of xd-45 to get.

This gun is going to be mostly a range gun as i dont normally carry, but during those times that i go to the range, i go out to eat or do something else after (slight printing is okay, but ccw is a must). Is the extra 1 inch really that bothersome? What about parts, i read before that something is different with the guide rod assembly? Also, if the tactical can use 1911 springs, can the service use 1911 commander springs?

What would you recommend?
Longer slides cause problems with concealment when sitting and you will generally have to use a cant on the holster. You will also find that the longer slide will restrict the location of your holster. The Tactical has a 1 piece guide rod which can be replaced with an aftermarket rod and springs. The Service model has a 2 piece guide rod and there is no after market rod available. My personal recommendation would be a 4" XD45 Compact which is the most versatile of all.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Go service! (from an owner of .45 and 9mm service models)

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The only negative I have about the compact or subcompact XDs is the extended magazines with the plastic ring around it that makes the grip longer.

Doing a slide-lock mag change where you let gravity drop the mag clear while you reach for a fresh mag is harder because your hand is gripping part of the magazine. You have to learn to open your hand some to let the mag fall clear.

I couldn't do it, my reload muscle memory is too imprinted.
So, I got a Service size and now it's my favorite handgun.

This only applies really if you compete with it or train a lot for CCW.
You can still take your weak hand and PULL the mag clear and some people don't have this problem, it drops cleanly for them because their hands are smaller.

Otherwise really you can't go wrong with ANY of the XDs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm i still cant decide lol.

Can anyone here compare how a tactical would compare to a 1911 government in terms of ease of concealment?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Go with the compact ,it will pattern less and is just as accurate at defensive range and beyond.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
In response to an earlier post... there ARE replacement guide rods for the service. They are one-piece rods, but they work just as well (or better, depending on your needs). There just is not a replacement two-piece rod.

Carry on....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have 2 service and 1 tactical model. I carry nothing but the service models. An inch longer does not seem like a lot but it is noticeable when your carrying it. I'm 6' 4" and 260lb and I still can tell the difference. I actually shoot the service models better than the tactical,which make no sence but its a fact. I notice more muzzle flip with the 5" also.

I suggest the service model,but their both excellent pistols.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The Service model has a 2 piece guide rod and there is no after market rod available.
Not quite true, I have a LaserMax guide rod in mine, so there is at least one aftermarket option!

Secondly, I am not a fan of the compacts. Too unbalanced in my opinion, and the Tactical is the same. For me, the Service is a perfectly balanced weapon, and I have no problem concealing mine. I also shoot it very well...

So obviously I would recommend a Service, as you never know when you may need to conceal carry it! For my range-only guns, I buy M1911s...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
hmm i still cant decide lol.

Can anyone here compare how a tactical would compare to a 1911 government in terms of ease of concealment?
Based on the two post I read from you, get the compact. It's the best of all worlds IMO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks like i'll take the service.

one last question though, since i haven't shot an xd and dont have the opportunity to shoot one as no one has it near me, how does it compare size wise to a glock 23 as ive tried shooting the glock. Their barrel lengths are the same, but how about slide length and handle? The handle of the glock 23 barely fit my hand and i would have liked it to be an inch or two longer.

P.s. i found that efk firedragon is offering a guide rod replacement for the service and its on sale right now.

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=1463

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
In response to an earlier post... there ARE replacement guide rods for the service. They are one-piece rods, but they work just as well (or better, depending on your needs). There just is not a replacement two-piece rod.

Carry on....
Where?? EFK Fire Dragon has a dual action return spring and guide rod, but it does not allow the swapping springs for different load requirements. To my knowledge there is no 1 piece XD45 Service guide rod which allows the changing of spring weights. If there were I would have one on my carry gun by now. And so we wait.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Where?? EFK Fire Dragon has a dual action return spring and guide rod, but it does not allow the swapping springs for different load requirements. To my knowledge there is no 1 piece XD45 Service guide rod which allows the changing of spring weights. If there were I would have one on my carry gun by now. And so we wait.
Hmm, guess you're right---sorry, didn't realize that the .45 Service didn't have good replacements. As one poster said, you could use the LaserMax and swap out the spring with the Wolff of your choice...

LaserMax: LMS-4XD45-ACP Guide Rod Laser

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hmm, guess you're right---sorry, didn't realize that the .45 Service didn't have good replacements. As one poster said, you could use the LaserMax and swap out the spring with the Wolff of your choice...

LaserMax: LMS-4XD45-ACP Guide Rod Laser
I don't believe there are optional springs for the LaserMax but they do have a 4" system available. I have never owned a LaserMax so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Carry on....
I was wondering where such a replacement can be found. I was thinking about looking into this. Thoughts? Thanks......

·
Registered
416 Posts
get the 5" Tactical model -especially if it's mostly for the range

makes a nice "top drawer" home-defense handgun as well ;)
What he said.... most of the CC issues are with the grip rather than the lenght of the barrel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts