Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im lookinging to buying my first gun and i made the xd 45 my choice untill the xdm .40 came out...it seems great. the cost isnt going to be a factor in my choice and id like some advice on what would be best for me...also i dont know much about the .40 how much diffrent is it from a .45...i will be useing it for home/personal protection and shooing range...

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk.

The XD and the XDM have a different feel, so I think you would be best off going to a shop and getting your hands on them to see which one feels better to you. There is a lot of information on the differences between .40 and .45, do some searches on Google and you can be reading for hours. I prefer felt recoil of the .45 over the .40, but that is a personal opinion. Both rounds perform well. If you are going to be doing a lot of shooting and want to stay on a budget, don't rule out the 9MM. With modern hollow points the 9MM is plenty proficient of putting BGs down.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I don`t own either one, but have shot my son`s .45 . Very Nice.
I have the 9mm XD Tact. that I got for plates. (I`m more of a revolver guy.)
From what I`ve read, the .40 has more "Snap" than the .45.
Regards, Pete

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
im lookinging to buying my first gun and i made the xd 45 my choice untill the xdm .40 came out...it seems great. the cost isnt going to be a factor in my choice and id like some advice on what would be best for me...also i dont know much about the .40 how much diffrent is it from a .45...i will be useing it for home/personal protection and shooing range...
Personally I consider the .45 best suited for a Duty Pistol or House Gun. They are powerful but often heavy and too large for some purposes. The .40 is a popular service and defense round but not what I would choose for a new shooter. If this is your first gun and you are interested in the XD I do not see how you can go wrong with the XD9 Service or XDM 9 mm. They are small and light enough for carry and still powerful enough for defense. In addition you will probably shoot it much better in the beginning than the other calibers and this will lead to more satisfying practice sessions and improved skills.

In the end the decision is yours and there is no shame in admitting a mistake and trading in your first choice for something else.

·
Registered
855 Posts
In the end the decision is yours and there is no shame in admitting a mistake and trading in your first choice for something else.
+1. My first centerfire pistol was a S&W .40 and it was too much too soon for me. I traded it in for my XD-9 Service and have never regretted it.

IMO, you can't go wrong with an XD or XDm. They are terrific guns. If you're just starting out, please get some instruction by either working with an experienced shooter or by taking an NRA intro pistol course.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For all that I'd pick the XD45 compact, it's a excellent gun. Was the one I got for my GF, she loves it. Easier to shoot than the .40, and also excellent for Home/Personal Protection.

Had a XD40 traded it for the 9mm basically to shoot cheaper. Me I like the service size guns, have the XD9 and .45 now.

All will make excellent guns for Home/Personal Protection. No matter which caliber you choose. If you can find a rental range that has all three to try it would be the best thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a lot of people have told me a revolver would be a better first choice for me maybe thats not a bad idea since i kind of wouldnt mind waiting on the xdm.45 and i planed on getting a revolver second anyway and it would hold me over untill it came out

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think revolvers are great for developing your shooting technique, however they can be heavy and have limited capacity. That makes a semi-auto a good/better option for a defense gun. Whatever suits you is the best choice though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts