Springfield XD Forum banner

Help Needed...Winchester 190 restoration.

973 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  M1A4ME 
#1 ·
I have a 190 that I got from a friend that inherited it. It had sat in storage for God knows how long and rusted up the bore. He tried to clean it but only made it worse..It is rusted very badly and he got a bore cleaning brush stuck in the barrel while trying to clean it for the first time. He sent it to a local smith that said he could not get the brush out with a dowel and hammer, and that due to the rust, he gave up...

Now, I am taking on the project myself. Where can I get a tool to remove the barrel nut? I need to try to remove the rust from the barrel and get the brush out. Any help would be appreciated. I might add that I own the exact same rifle which has a broken front sight. Worse case scenario I will cannibalize the front sight and put it on my gun, but I want to give this rusted one a fair shot (pardon the pun). Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
What kind of bore brush is it? If it is copper/bronze then get the most aggressive copper removal gun cleaning solvent you can find. Ammonia based solvent like Sweets 7.62 or similar. Plug one end of the bore and fill it full. Wait a while, maybe a full day, and try tapping it out with a dowel. The solvent may eat enough of the bristles away to loosen the brush so it will come out. Hopefully the steel core isn't wadded up jamming it in place. If the bore is as rusted as it sounds like it is, then any pitting from the solvent soaking in there probably isn't going to matter anyway.

#3 ·
Pitted barrels can still shoot well. But they will be more difficult to clean if you're the cleaning type.

My buddy was recommending Bore Tech Eliminator copper remover for barrel cleaning. He said to buy some nylon brushes because the BTE would eat up the old fashioned brass brushes just like it eats up the copper left in the barrel by bullets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.