Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the backstory,
I had a Stag lefty AR for about a year, and then some crappy handloads that I was dumb enough to put through it totally kb!'d the upper. The lower seems ok, but I never really got around to replacing it. I could never afford to replace it until recently, but I've been considering getting an AK instead, because I never really shot my AR at a distance past 50 yards anyway.

I hate to admit it, but I have been thinking about committing one of the greatest heresies imaginable: an AR in 7.62x39. I realize that it would probably start Eugene Stoner spinning in his grave, but it is somehow making sense to me. I know very little about their reliability, and it does seem somewhat @$$-backwards to get those calibers mixed up, but the logic is working for now.

here are the questions I have for the board in general:

First, is this a bad idea? If so, please tell me, and stop the wheels from turning in directions that they shouldn't go.

Second, has anybody ever bought anything from Blackthorne Products?

They have a really good deal on a 7.62x39 upper, and if I don't go that route, they have a really, really good deal on a .223 upper.

Any advice on this quandary of mine would be most appreciated, and please try to not to flame me too much for being a heretic.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would either get the AK or get the upper in the AR for .223 or another caliber say a .50:shock:. For 7.62 X 39 get the AK. My AK eats up that cheap Wolf ammo by the handfuls whereas my AR will only eat a couple of magazines before it starts having issues.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
you would need a new lower receiver as well
Are you smoking something??? The 7.62x39 will work with a standard lower. Its just an upper and magazine swap.

I say get the 7.62x39 upper if you can find a good deal on mags. If not, get the 5.56 upper and use the mags you already have. The 7.62x39 mags are expensive.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
buy a new 5.56 upper, and then when you have money again buy a $199 yugo sks from classic arms, if you want a 7.62

or just buy the yugo now, and shoot at 50 yards and have that extra $400 in ammo.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
With price of ammo it makes more economic sense to buy an AK that will let you shoot cheap metal casings without any remorse than to buy an AR15 and have to put expensive ammo down it to not tear it up.

I say SKS/AK, save the receiver though it may be really valuable pretty soon.:cry:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I have Blackthorne 20" rifle kit and I've had no problems with it. I've been using it as a service rifle and it's just as accurate as the Delton I shot before. Everything looks just as it should be.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Buy an AR upper in .223/5.56 as there is a good chance it will be worth double the money this time next year. If you must have a 7.62x39, get a cheap AK or SKS too.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Are you smoking something??? The 7.62x39 will work with a standard lower. Its just an upper and magazine swap.

I say get the 7.62x39 upper if you can find a good deal on mags. If not, get the 5.56 upper and use the mags you already have. The 7.62x39 mags are expensive.
no, but that would be a good excuse huh?

thought it was 7.62 nato... brain flatulence.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I think I'll stay away from the 7.62 upper, just because I want to be able to use steel cased ammo and treat it like crap (sounds like the primary functions of an AK to me.) I'm still up in the air about getting that first or rebuilding my AR, but this did help me to make up my mind. Thanks again guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts