Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my XD 45 tonight and when I went to put the slide back on the frame--something went terribly wrong and my slide is now stuck in the fully racked position--I cannot release the slide at all.

Can anyone help me? I have no idea what I did--but something went horribly wrong.

I have a feeling I will have to take it to a pistol smith.

thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was cleaning my XD 45 tonight and when I went to put the slide back on the frame--something went terribly wrong and my slide is now stuck in the fully racked position--I cannot release the slide at all.

Can anyone help me? I have no idea what I did--but something went horribly wrong.

I have a feeling I will have to take it to a pistol smith.

thanks

If you search around you will see that you are not the first one to do it. It sounds like your guide rod was off center and now the action is jammed up. I suggest getting a thin adjustable wrench and slide it under the end of the guide rod (the wrench will be 90 degrees to the guide rod) and gently leverage it forward. This will release the slide. Then disassemble and fix the guide rod placement. More detailed directions can be found here with a search.

·
Premium Member
127,761 Posts
It is more likely that your recoil spring is in backwards. Remove the magazine and keeping your finger out of the trigger guard place the front end of the slide on the edge of a table. Keep the barrel clear of the table and push down forcefully. The slide should move to the rear. Disassemble, turn the recoil spring so that the "open" end is facing forward. Reassemble and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is more likely that your recoil spring is in backwards. Remove the magazine and keeping your finger out of the trigger guard place the front end of the slide on the edge of a table. Keep the barrel clear of the table and push down forcefully. The slide should move to the rear. Disassemble, turn the recoil spring so that the "open" end is facing forward. Reassemble and you should be good to go.

I tried this, and applied an unusual amount of pressure--I could feel the table giving under the force I was applying, but the slide acts like it is frozen--and somehow or another the disassembly lever has managed to get pushed down also....

the Law of Murphy has made an appearance...

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Another method is to grip the frame with the base of the magwell on a firm, flat surface. With the take-down lever up, take a rubber mallet give a few good whacks on the slide and it should come free.

If all else fails, take it to your local gunsmith.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another method is to grip the frame with the base of the magwell on a firm, flat surface. With the take-down lever up, take a rubber mallet give a few good whacks on the slide and it should come free.

If all else fails, take it to your local gunsmith.

I'm going to have to take it to a gun smith...

it would be a crying shame if I managed to destroy a nearly indestructible gun only two weeks after I bought it....

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
I'm going to have to take it to a gun smith...

it would be a crying shame if I managed to destroy a nearly indestructible gun only two weeks after I bought it....
Put up a pic please!

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
This problem is one that's come up in some other threads. The problem every time is how the spring and the guide rod are inserted into the slide. I guess it's one of those live and learn lessons of life. Fortunately I had read about this problem the first time before stripping and cleaning my XD .45 Tactical after purchasing, so I have been very conscious every time of making sure the base of my guide rod is dead-center of the barrel.

Before you take it to your gun smith, take another look at it. Just like any difficult problem, it sometimes comes easier after taking a break from it. I still recommend smacking it with a mallet a few times. It won't hurt anything, and hopefully it will knock your guide rod into alignment so the slide will return forward.

And remember, if you screw up, thank goodness for a lifetime warranty!

·
Registered
129 Posts
This problem is one that's come up in some other threads. The problem every time is how the spring and the guide rod are inserted into the slide. I guess it's one of those live and learn lessons of life. Fortunately I had read about this problem the first time before stripping and cleaning my XD .45 Tactical after purchasing, so I have been very conscious every time of making sure the base of my guide rod is dead-center of the barrel.

Before you take it to your gun smith, take another look at it. Just like any difficult problem, it sometimes comes easier after taking a break from it. I still recommend smacking it with a mallet a few times. It won't hurt anything, and hopefully it will knock your guide rod into alignment so the slide will return forward.

And remember, if you screw up, thank goodness for a lifetime warranty!

I can see someone doing it with a service model, I just haven't yet fathomed how on earth you could mess up putting the guide rod back into a tatical.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have tried all of the fixes I have seen and have been suggested--except for hammering it into something solid, as was suggested on a youtube video....

had a gun smith look at it today--I have decided to ship it to Springfield to have them unjam my foulup.

hopefully they will be able to fix it.

have to admit--dropping it with the shipping agent and leaving my gun with a perfect stranger makes me nervous.

Live and learn.

I guess this is what is termed a "self correcting error"--I have been kicking myself, SO that the NEXT time I actually pay a lot closer attention to what I am doing....

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Tough break my friend. If you bought this new two weeks ago, and its not too late to grab it from the shipping company, check with your dealer on their returns policy. Many reputable dealers will offer a returns/exchange policy for new firearms that become defective shortly after purchase. I'm sorry I didn't think of recommending this sooner, as SA is in the same boat as most manufacturers and being overworked due to high order numbers and it might take a month or more before your XD is back in your hands.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Yes, but at least one of my local firearms dealers does offer a 1-year return policy on new firearms for any warranty-related problems.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
^
Check with that dealer next time you are there and see if they will exchange something you screwed up as a warranty issue. I do not think they will.

I also highly doubt SA will consider this warranty work.

Of course I have been wrong before.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
After rereading these posts I think we may be on two seperate pages here. If he assembled the gun wrong this is in no way a warranty issue, but a user error issue.

If the gun is in fact broke than lutheranpriest has a valid point and a good dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Have tried all of the fixes I have seen and have been suggested--except for hammering it into something solid, as was suggested on a youtube video....

had a gun smith look at it today--I have decided to ship it to Springfield to have them unjam my foulup.

hopefully they will be able to fix it.

have to admit--dropping it with the shipping agent and leaving my gun with a perfect stranger makes me nervous.

Live and learn.

I guess this is what is termed a "self correcting error"--I have been kicking myself, SO that the NEXT time I actually pay a lot closer attention to what I am doing....
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After rereading these posts I think we may be on two seperate pages here. If he assembled the gun wrong this is in no way a warranty issue, but a user error issue.

If the gun is in fact broke than lutheranpriest has a valid point and a good dealer.
Yes, it was a user issue--but I did call SA and they said send it in, they would fix it for me--unjam it, reseat the barrel properly and send it back to me in working condition--I can't wait to put some magazines through it when I get it back.

SA is great. I gave it to United Parcel yesterday to ship out--it went out today.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Yes, it was a user issue--but I did call SA and they said send it in, they would fix it for me--unjam it, reseat the barrel properly and send it back to me in working condition--I can't wait to put some magazines through it when I get it back.

SA is great. I gave it to United Parcel yesterday to ship out--it went out today.

I would bet money that Springfield still takes care of it free of charge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts