Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of internet research on handguns and decided on the XD Service 9 for my first pistol. I now realize my bad luck has caught up with me because from what appears to be a bad pistol.

Well I originally had issues with ammo loading all the way into the chamber. I tried "polishing" the feed ramp as someone instructed. Now I have had a couple FTE malfunctions. I was thinking about sending it back to Springfield so they could look at it.

Now my problem is rust. I shot it exactly 9 days ago, I took it home cleaned it and yes oiled and put it back in the case like I always do. I took it out today and the slide and sights have rust on them. Some of it is very light and I can rub it off with my finger, some is deeper.

My question is if I call Springfield will they fix these problems? Also what can I do to get the rust off? I was wanting to buy a 1911 from them next but now I dunno I've had nothing but problems for this pistol.

Thanks,
Rzeig

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definitely give them a call. From what I've read on this forum they will take care of you.

Sorry about your bad luck but I have faith they will get you squared away. Keep us up to date on how this pans out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Call Springfield and they will take care of your problems. I haven't personally dealt with the yet but I have not heard a single bad thing about their customer service.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Springfield has been very good about dealing with rust problems. Give them a call and see what they will do for you.

A few thoughts however...

If you had oiled it and put it away and it then rusted, then you were not very careful in oiling it. You had clearly missed missed those areas as oil does not readily just go away.

Problems with the 9mm seem to be rare and if you are having feeding problems then it is most often with reloads. What ammo are you using?

If the FTE is a stovepipe type failure then a firm grip may fix that. Often that is a problem with a relaxed or loose wrist which scrubs off slide velocity. In a semi-auto pistol the slide velocity is the all important factor.

If the FTE is an extraction problem, then it is most likely an extractor tensioning issue, and Springfield will fix it or else a local smith familiar with 1911s may fix it as well.

As far as the 1911 decision, the finish on the XD line is from the factory in Croatia. It is not clear what this finish really is. One member some time ago mentioned that the finish appeared to be a fine grain Parkerizing, while another mentioned that the chemicals that strip the standard Parkerizing did not affect the XD finish. The finish on the 1911 is most likely the standard Parkerizing which is less problematic (meaning no common problems reported).

Once you work thru the problems on your pistol, you should be very happy, hang in there and we'll work you thru it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will admit to the oil thing. I usually have enough that these lil spots of oil come up on the slide. This time I only got spots of rust.

I just got done scrubbing the crap out of it with a nylon brush and some bore cleaner. I have a rust colored brush now but besides that it looks a lot better. I definatley have pits in the finish though. I am gonna call Springfield Monday I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all the replys they calmed me down. Man this is like a support group :)

Rzeig

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I've been taught for years that too much oil attracts moisture drops.....maybe used too much??

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use marvel mystery oil on the outside of my pistols .I have a rag ive had for 4 years its saturated with marvel mystery oil.When i get out a pistol i grab it with the rag put it in my shooters bag.When i carry it get moisture all over the outside .When i put it back i wipe it down with the oil rag.Maybe some of you need to try marvel mystery oil on your weapons.I dont baby none of my guns when i carry and havent had any problems.But i would send the gun back if your haveing feeding issues. Good luck BigA

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Dont keep the pistol in the plastic case the humidity builds up in there use some type of antirust bag like the one your pistol came with or some antirust tabs.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I've saved up a handful of them silica gel dessicant packs from old jackets, and have em stashed in my ammo cans, and in my gun cabinets.
Good idea?

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Fatmatt1981 thats a great idea....heck you can walk in to walmart and pick them up off the floor in the shoe department. Have you ever seen the white pellets that you put in a cup and it absorbs the mosture in the Air and turns to mush. It works becuase there is moisture and closing the xd in its plastic case just creates a mini humid environment. Aslo why in safes you should also put some type of rust protectant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts