Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an XD .45 ACP for range use, home defense, and SHTF backup weapon duty.

- Not really concerned with concealability.

- I'm a big guy with decent sized hands so I want a large grip to hang onto.

- I want to minimize felt recoil to make it easier to regain sight picture and more fun to shoot.

- I'm not a competition shooter, so lots of options oriented towards that aren't really helpful to me.

- Reliability is key.

Versions I'm considering:

XD .45 5"
XD .45 Service Model
XD .45 Service Model with porting

Which of these (or some other one) would be best for me?

Other questions I have:

What's the difference between the M, the S, and the Tactical models?

What options would you recommend?

·
Banned
0 Posts
I recommend you go rent some springers, M&P's and glocks, and find out which one you shoot best. I would also avoid any ported barrels if you are going to use it anywhere else but the range.

·
Registered
216 Posts
An XDM45 4.5" sounds like exactly what you're looking for, but definitely go out and rent/shoot as many guns as possible and find out what works for you.

And don't leave Glock off your list either. There's plenty of models available to try out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You might end up liking a Glock 21 Gen4.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
If its never to be carried concealed, then the 5" TAC is the way to go IMO. More wt, longer sight radius, higher vel with a loads, a no brainer. I agree, try other striker fired guns, but if you hate the Glock as I do, then why bother. The M&P is a good feeling gun as well, but the XD fit me best.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Obviously I agree with the others about test shooting pistols if you can but, AT LEAST, go to your LGS and handle/fondle as many pistols as you can. You can like a pistol but it feels terrible in your hand and you'll never be comfortable shooting it. Feeling good in your hand is the first hurdle, IMO.

J Wett

·
Registered
25 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm 5'8" and CCW my xd 45 tac most all the time. I bought it because I liked the the feel of it.

I agree with all of the above comments, though -- fondle as many as you can before you buy.

That said, if you do get the xd tac, I've heard that getting a heavier guide rod helps with getting your sights back on target faster. I have even read that some folks filled the stock guide rod with lead shot. I haven't done either of those, but have been thinking about getting a heavier guide rod. Not sure it helps enough to matter, though.

As for Glock... think a G20. XD comes in all the regular calibers, so the only reason to go Glock is to get something in 10mm. :lol:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Obviously I agree with the others about test shooting pistols if you can but, AT LEAST, go to your LGS and handle/fondle as many pistols as you can. You can like a pistol but it feels terrible in your hand and you'll never be comfortable shooting it. Feeling good in your hand is the first hurdle, IMO.

J Wett
This is bad advice, I know tons if people who fondle a glock and say I don't like the way it feels, then they shoot it and tear the the center out of the target. It is not how they feel it's how you shoot it.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
This is bad advice, I know tons if people who fondle a glock and say I do to like the way it feels, then they shoot it and tear the the center out if the target. It is not how they feel it's how you shoot it.
My Glock is the worst one that fits my small girly hands and the one I shoot the least. But it is my EDC because it is the one I am most accurate with. My groups are much tighter with the Glock than any other gun I own.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
They're weird like that. Comfort is a big thing though.

I really like mine with a grip force adapter.

That said though, I shot my XD45 just as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really like how the 45 Tactical balances. It's like an improved 1911.
Low recoil, very accurate, and mine has been completely reliable.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I really like how the 45 Tactical balances. It's like an improved 1911.
Low recoil, very accurate, and mine has been completely reliable.
^^^THIS^^ Just stay away from LSWC, it's 100%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts