Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I already have a 45 tactical and I LOVE it. But now the XD bug has smitten me (damn you SA!:mad::D) and I'm looking for a carry gun. I already have a .380 which I usually carry in waistband, but I'm looking for more stopping power, ie. the mighty 45 ACP.

So----can owners of the 45 compact post their experiences with it? My local shooting range doesn't have one for me to shoot, so I have no idea how it would feel and perform when compared to the 45 tactical. All comments and advice welcome!!!
questions i have so far:

1. will my tac mags fit in the 45c?

2. the SA website has an earth/silver slide color and a earth/black slide; what's the difference besides cosmetic?

3. is $500 pretty much the average going price for the 45c? (what did you guys/gals pay for yours?)

If i get one it'll probably be through Springer Precision, cus i'll get some work done on it.

thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw i was also considering a 40sc so that is still a possibility. 40sc=more concealable. BUT! more snappy recoil and "less" stopping power than 45 ACP. hmm....tough call. *scratch head and bangs on table*

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Get the .45 Tactical Comapct and you dont have to worry. Yes your tactical mags will work in the compact you just wont have the rubber ring around the base of the mag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 45 compact and love it, not that hard to conceal either. But my brother has the 40 sub compact and is very easy to conceal but it still shoots very nice. If you want to conceal get the sub compact, but either way you go your going to be very happy:razz:

·
Registered
787 Posts

Yes. They'll hang out and look funny, but you can buy plastic grip xtender sleeves for them if you so desire. I believe pistolgear sells them (a site sponsor).

2. the SA website has an earth/silver slide color and a earth/black slide; what's the difference besides cosmetic?

Well, one's stainless steel, one's coated. There's that difference.

3. is $500 pretty much the average going price for the 45c? (what did you guys/gals pay for yours?)

I paid $500 (out the door) for mine.

You won't be sorry. I love mine. Carrying it really isn't that big a deal over the subcompact. It's a bit heavier, but I don't notice the longer length or longer grip length being a problem.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yes. They'll hang out and look funny, but you can buy plastic grip xtender sleeves for them if you so desire. I believe pistolgear sells them (a site sponsor).
Are you talking about the 10 round mags sticking out or the 13 rnd mags? (I'm assuming 13).
Also I think body type is a factor. Are you a big guy? I'm 5'9 and medium build, 34" waist.

Thanks for the responses, everybody. OH! also, is there a large selection of belt holsters (non-paddle) for the 45 compact?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
XD45C w/10 rd mag is virtually the same size as the G19 only slightly heavier.
10 rd for CC, 13 rd for HD. Nice reliable gun.
Gun shoots great and I'm getting much better at 7yds w/XS Big Dots for my aging eyes. Recoil is pretty mild IMHO.
$500 is what I paid and thought it was a good deal.
Holsters are all over the place but you'll have to wait a few months for a good custom holster.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Are you talking about the 10 round mags sticking out or the 13 rnd mags? (I'm assuming 13).
Also I think body type is a factor. Are you a big guy? I'm 5'9 and medium build, 34" waist.

Thanks for the responses, everybody. OH! also, is there a large selection of belt holsters (non-paddle) for the 45 compact?
Sorry, I was talking about the 13rd mags--I just assumed that's what you were talking about. The 10rd ones fit flush. All the XD 45ACP models have interchangeable mags.

I'm 6'2" and 175. 33-34" waist. Conceals nicely under an XL polo or t-shirt untucked (in my Crossbreed Supertuck). Conceals even better with a shirt tucked in, but I find that to be a pain in the neck most of the time.

There are lots of holsters in different styles. IWB, I recommend the Crossbreed Supertuck (site sponsor). I want to get a Don Hume Open Top pancake holster as well, but haven't sprung for it. For Open Carry, a lot of people love the BlackHawk Serpa.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The first time I took my XD Compact .45 to the range a couple of months ago also happened to be the first time I shot a Walther PPK .380 I had traded for. The XD was MUCH easier to shoot, balanced very well, less recoil than my 4" 1911 I got rid of. The little PPK beat the crap out of me, cut up my hand nicely, really snappy recoil- it really made me think that if you're going to shoot a .380 that punishes you that much, you might as well shoot a .45!

(I will be trading the PPK in for a little revolver!)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Don't forget if you get the 45 compact you can mix and match slides!!!! You could end up with many different configs since you already have a 45 Tactical!!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first time I took my XD Compact .45 to the range a couple of months ago also happened to be the first time I shot a Walther PPK .380 I had traded for. The XD was MUCH easier to shoot, balanced very well, less recoil than my 4" 1911 I got rid of. The little PPK beat the crap out of me, cut up my hand nicely, really snappy recoil- it really made me think that if you're going to shoot a .380 that punishes you that much, you might as well shoot a .45!

(I will be trading the PPK in for a little revolver!)
yes my Sig P232 in .380 is definitely a firecracker in my hand, but it's so slim, concealable and reliable I'm gonna keep it----it's the ultimate "pocket rocket for a run to the grocery store for a loaf of bread pistol" :) . I guess the XD45c will be more like "the drive to the inner city peace keeper".

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes my Sig P232 in .380 is definitely a firecracker in my hand, but it's so slim, concealable and reliable I'm gonna keep it----it's the ultimate "pocket rocket for a run to the grocery store for a loaf of bread pistol

Exactly! That's what I use the PPK for, a quick run to the store 1/2 mile up the street. But other than that...wow, she's tough!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts