Harvey or Murphy?

• Harvey

• Murphy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my girlfriend pulled one out of left field and surprised me with a gift I NEVER saw coming. When I was little (I'm now 23) we had a number of pets, but I always wanted a rabbit and never got one. A couple years ago my brother had a floppy eared rabbit for about 2 days before he gave it to his girlfriend, and it was awesome. Hilarious little animal that acted like a dog. I'd make mention of this every once in a while to my girlfriend (maybe once every 4-6 months... very little). Sure enough, she got me a floppy eared rabbit. I received this little guy almost a week ago (Saturday night), and still haven't decided on a name. We've narrowed it down to Murphy and Harvey. I've spent about two days on each name to see which I like better, but It's a hard decision. Here are some pictures of him hangin out around the Christmas tree and presents. Help me decide!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
rabbits are cool. some are tasty! but i've had pet rabbits before. i forget what kind the domesticated were, but they were huge. it was neat to hold them and feed them carrots. they would let you pet them all day long. we also had a cottontail for a pet. my dad's friend pulled it out of his dog's mouth, nobody thought it would live. my mom took care of it and it lived for years. it got mean though, instinct i guess. wouldn't let us hold it or pet it, but had we let it go it would have died quickly either from a predator or starvation, being in captivitiy all of its life so we just kept feeding it and watering it until it grew old...

·
Registered
100 Posts
How about:

Dinner? :p

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have had rabbit for dinner before, and it was excellent. I think I'll still with him as a pet.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
had some rabbit for christmas eve dinner! yummy!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not naming my new pet sandwich meat! Though I do like the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I always wanted to name a rabbit sonny, after the bird that's coocoo for cocoa puffs. Murphy would be good though.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I vote for Harvey!

Did a search on the meaning of names on the internet and this is what I came up with.

HARVEY
Usage: English
Pronounced: HAHR-vee [key]
From the Breton given name Haerviu, which meant "battle worthy", from haer "battle" and viu "worthy". This was the name of a 6th-century Breton hermit who is the patron saint of the blind. It was introduced to England by settlers from Brittany after the Norman conquest. During the later Middle Ages it became rare, but it was revived in the 19th century.

MURPHY
Usage: Irish, English
Pronounced: MUR-fee [key]
From an Irish surname which was derived from Ó Murchadha meaning "descendent of MURCHADH".

Murphy doesn't make much sense. But Harvey...........BATTLE WORTHY!!!!

Damn. Now I might have to name one or my rifles Harvey! :lol:

Cute rabbit by the way. My wife had a rabbit years ago. If you keep them in the house you can train them to use a litter box like a cat!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Murphy! I had a rabbit when I was young and it taught me all about MURPHYS LAW. In this case anything that could be eaten was eaten (and some things that couldn't) sure was a fun pet though, enjoy
TOJAZ

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I vote for Harvey!

Did a search on the meaning of names on the internet and this is what I came up with.

HARVEY
Usage: English
Pronounced: HAHR-vee [key]
From the Breton given name Haerviu, which meant "battle worthy", from haer "battle" and viu "worthy". This was the name of a 6th-century Breton hermit who is the patron saint of the blind. It was introduced to England by settlers from Brittany after the Norman conquest. During the later Middle Ages it became rare, but it was revived in the 19th century.

MURPHY
Usage: Irish, English
Pronounced: MUR-fee [key]
From an Irish surname which was derived from Ó Murchadha meaning "descendent of MURCHADH".

Murphy doesn't make much sense. But Harvey...........BATTLE WORTHY!!!!

Damn. Now I might have to name one or my rifles Harvey! :lol:

Cute rabbit by the way. My wife had a rabbit years ago. If you keep them in the house you can train them to use a litter box like a cat!
Thanks for the input! Harvey... battle worthy... that's solid. I'm part Irish, so that part of Murphy is a little appealing as well (Not to mention, Murphy is one of the brothers in Boondock Saints... if that's not bad ass, I don't know what is). Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A good friend in LA has a lop named Schuyler... Not sure why, but it works for him...

I'd go with Stew...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Harvey! He looks like a Harvey to Me!
Believe Me, I know about Holland Lops! My Wife has 14 Holland Lops! I bought em all for Her. She Loves them! I just got her 14th one last week for Christmas. His Name is Furby. Holland Lops can be House Trained too!
He's 7 weeks old!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts