Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a .22 for competition shooting also something I can afford to shoot all day. My friend has a Mark II and I love it. Love the feel of it and how it shoots. I am wanting maybe a new Mark III but I wanted to see what else is out there that is just as good. I am not about to spend $600 but you know, under $400 would be fine. Also I love the fact there are so many different things you can do to a Mark II and III. I actually don't know of any other .22 out there. Help me out boys and girls. What do you all use? Do you like it? If you could do it over again would you get the same gun? Is it easy to break down and clean? (the Mark II is a paint in the ass to get back together)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Mark III Hunter, and it serves me quite well. MSRP on it is right around $600, though.

Field stripping and cleaning is a bit of a PITA, but the more you do it the easier it gets.

I recently had the opportunity to shoot a friend's new Browning Buckmark Bullseye Target.

This all-black URX model runs right around $500. The stainless model is closer to $700.

When comparing both guns IN STOCK FORM, I'd definitely go with the Browning. The trigger on the Buck Mark is light and crisp right out of the box.

With some VQ internals, the Ruger will come out on top, and it sounds like you're familiar with the vast aftermarket for it.

However, with your price point, you're not looking at either of those guns.
You'd be looking at the MKIII target model or bull barrel model in the Ruger, or the Buck Mark Contour 5.5 URX or Buck Mark Contour Lite 7.25 URX in a Browning.

If you're not crazy about swapping out triggers and sears, I'd go with a Browning... IMO, it's a better gun out of the box.

If you're not afraid to take a MKIII apart, and you're willing to spend more money on upgrades down the road, I'd pick the Ruger. If this is the road you choose, I'd also save up my pennies and get the Hunter or Competition models.

If budget is a MAJOR concern, I'd be tempted to go with a Beretta Neos.

Made in the US, EASILY interchangable barrels, quite accurate, and reasonably priced. The Neos INOX comes with two barrels (4.5" & 6") for $375.

Hope all that helps rather than confuse.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beretta Neos? WOW, looks like a space gun, LOL. Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Get the 22/45. It has a much better grip angle, especially if you shoots XDs.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
dont forget to check out the p22 or sig mosquito

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Ruger MKIII 22/45 with the 5-1/2" Bull Barrel will be your best bet. Extremely accurate, solid platform for mounting optics and a price tag under $300 in most shops.

What more could you ask for. Couple that with the fact that you can throw in a Volquartsen trigger kit and turn it into a full blown competition gun and I see these as one of the best deals in the .22lr pistol market.

The Walther P22 is a decent gun but the material that the slide is made of is junk. It will give you problems. It isn't very accurate if you are looking for something to satisfy your target needs.

The Sig Misquito is just too expensive for what you are getting.

The Buckmark's are very, very nice pistols but their price point is slightly high for what you are getting.

The Ruger MKII's and MKIII's are also very very nice but I don't personally like the grip angle. Some people do (The angle is closer to a Glock angle while the 22/45 grip angle is closer to the 1911/XD angle).

If you decide on the 22/45, it will serve you well. It is a slight pain to disassemble and reassemble but after doing it a couple of times you won't need the manual anymore.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
oh i have a ruger charger and that thing is TONS of fun! its big but having 25 round mags is sweet. tons of parts. many companies have barrels now. i put a 5.5" on mine to go with my tac-65 suppressor

·
Registered
178 Posts
Beretta Neos? WOW, looks like a space gun, LOL. Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it?
I have one and my dad liked it enough he bought one. I have the 4", he has the 6" (isn't dad's always supposed to be bigger :rolleyes:). We love 'em. Great shooters, accurate as I could ask for. Dad also has a Mark II, it's a little heavier which can be better for accuracy but my wife and my brother's wife like the lighter feel of the neos.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Get the 22/45. It has a much better grip angle, especially if you shoots XDs.

Is that your MKIII? Did you change the grips and sights? I really like yours but cant find anything similar on gunbroker. I love those 1911 style grips!

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Have you seen that new Walther SP22 target pistol? Wild looking:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got a Beretta Neos last week. I love it for practice. I am right on with it.
At first it did not like low power rounds, but now it is shooting anything and everything I put in it. It is fun to shoot. And very affordable, I picked it up at the gun show for $149.
My husband however has shot a Ruger when he was younger and says he likes it better.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Is that your MKIII? Did you change the grips and sights? I really like yours but cant find anything similar on gunbroker. I love those 1911 style grips!
Yep, that is mine. The sights are Hi-Viz. They are great for the range, and come with 6 different "pipes" that you can change out so you can shoot with different sizes/colors. Super easy to install, and they work great with the adjustable stock rear sight. I did the 1911 grips myself. You just sand down the side of the stock "grips" that are built into the frame, so that the frame is flush across. Layout the 1911 panel and mark the holes. Drill the holes and install 1911 grip bushings. Screw the grips on securing them to the bushings and you are done. It massively improves the feel and look of the gun. The grip width is a lot more similar to an XD now.

Here is a "in progress" pic from bscman, who is a member here on XDTalk.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Idk if it has been said but check out the Walther P22. I love mine. It will eat anything, and is very accurate. I believe you can get one in my area for about $299, and it is a great gun.

I've never seen the SP22 but that is wild looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts