Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Magpul CTR arrives later this week, my lower will be complete. I started with a CMMG stripped lower. I used a RRA LPK with 2 stage trigger. I added the RRA Star Safety Selector. I used a Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard and a Magpul MIAD grip with the AA battery core. Now, it's time to buy an upper. Whichever upper I buy it will be without the bolt carrier group. I plan to buy a LMT Standard M16 BCG. I want this to be my version of an M4gery so I'm looking for something with a 14.5" barrel and a pinned flash suppressor. I'd really like a 1/9 barrel twist since that is what I already have on my other AR and it would be convenient to be able to use all the same bullet weights. I have it narrowed down to two and need your opinion.

CMMG 14.7" M4A1 SOCOM

Pros

The 14.7" barrel allows a normal A2 flash hider and still make the 16" legal length
The finish would nicely match my lower
M4 feed ramps

Cons

Expensive
Barrel is 1/7 twist

Bushmaster 14.5" M4 w/ Izzy

Pros

Less expensive
I've used Bushmasters before with no issues
Izzy flash suppressor is supposed to be very good.
Barrel is 1/9 twist

Cons

No M4 feed ramp
Reports that Bushmaster's quality has been slipping
Finish will not match the lower

So... all that being said, what would you think would be the best option? Oh... for now I plan to order either one with a removable carry handle. Down the road, I'll add optics and a BUIS... probably an EOTech mounted on a Dominator 2 since that is what I have on my current AR.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
not sure how a 1/7 twist is a con you can shoot lighter bullets in it as well as most of the heavier rounds. my LMT will shoot 55gr fairly accurate out of a 10.5" barrel and will handle the 90gr bullets just fine. around the 50gr and lowered it did not like, that said i can also shoot pretty much so up to 69gr out of my stag with a 1/9 twist

bad raps are just that people almost always give unrequested feedback about negative experiences but rarely give positive feedback without being asked. ive had bad experiences with colts but that was years ago and im sure that they are just fine now but ive never had a bad experience with OLY then again ive never shot one either.

to me an m4 feed ramp is neither a pro nor a con as my AR is not full auto and while it doesn't hurt to have them it really doesn't help much either i've had no feeding problems with or without them.

also a con on the socom or the BM for that matteris that if its a 14.7" barrel you either have to register it as SBR or have the FH pinned on so that its permanent id opt for a full 16" barrel

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure how a 1/7 twist is a con you can shoot lighter bullets in it as well as most of the heavier rounds. my LMT will shoot 55gr fairly accurate out of a 10.5" barrel and will handle the 90gr bullets just fine. around the 50gr and lowered it did not like, that said i can also shoot pretty much so up to 69gr out of my stag with a 1/9 twist

bad raps are just that people almost always give unrequested feedback about negative experiences but rarely give positive feedback without being asked. ive had bad experiences with colts but that was years ago and im sure that they are just fine now but ive never had a bad experience with OLY then again ive never shot one either.

to me an m4 feed ramp is neither a pro nor a con as my AR is not full auto and while it doesn't hurt to have them it really doesn't help much either i've had no feeding problems with or without them.

also a con on the socom or the BM for that matteris that if its a 14.7" barrel you either have to register it as SBR or have the FH pinned on so that its permanent id opt for a full 16" barrel
Both uppers come with perm. attached hiders already so no SBR registration will be needed. The 1/7 is a con simply because my existing AR is 1/9 and I want them to match so that they can use the same range of bullet weights. If I was starting from scratch, I wouldn't care one way or the other about 1/7 v. 1/9 but since this will be the backup to my existing AR, I want them to have matching twist rates.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I still don't think the 1/7 twist is con, even after you stated that it will be a back up. What grain bullets are you shooting? If you are able to shoot it through your 1/9 and it's not lower than 50-47 grain then you'll be fine.

My vote gets the CMMG. I've got 3 of them and 1 soon to be SBR (just waiting for the tax stamp). None of them have given me problems... Take that back, they all give me problems, the problem is I just don't know which one I want to shoot! :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts