Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm on the verge of selling my XDM-45 4.5" and going over to the dark side...yes, Glock. My favorite IWB holster, the Comp-Tac Infidel with standard double-wide kydex belt clip, is still not available for my gun. Even worse, Comp-Tac has said to me that it is unlikely that they will ever make it for my gun, even though they make it for the XDM-9 and 40.

I have the infidel for 4" and 5" 1911's, and frankly it has spoiled me for other designs. I've had leather, and leather/kydex like the Crossbreed. Nothing is suited to the way I carry a gun like a kydex IWB with a quick on, quick off clip. The Secret Strike, from Tucker, has a single long skinny kydex clip which is a bit of a pain to remove and, being a single kydex clip, it's fragile--I'm on my third now, after two broke. A single clip needs to be steel. A wide clip is easy to grasp to take off the gun, or put it on.

I've searched the www galaxy and come up scruffy. Does anyone here, Obi-Wan, Luke, Han, Leia or even Lando, know of an all-kydex IWB (no leather or hybrids, please) with a wide kydex clip or a metal clip THAT IS MADE FOR THE XDM-45 4.5"? Your helpful suggestions will be appreciated. May the Force be with you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I guess my first question would be.. are you sure the one for the 9/40 wouldnt fit it? XDm's are that different externally. Just a thought. I have a XDm 4.5 45, but I have not tried it with holster I use for my 9 and 40.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cooks Holster lists the XDm 45 in 4.5 with and w/o a laser, as two of the available molds. I have one for the XDS and LOVE it. Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. His first version had a fixed clip like PJs. The newer one (like mine) has an adjustable cant heavy duty clip that looks similar to the Infidel. Link is to the IWB holster. Many color options. I chose regular black.

Cook's Holsters

Get on the phone and call Bob.

Here is a grainy picture of my XDS in my Cooks. I'm a lefty BTW.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess my first question would be.. are you sure the one for the 9/40 wouldnt fit it? XDm's are that different externally. Just a thought. I have a XDm 4.5 45, but I have not tried it with holster I use for my 9 and 40.
No, I cannot say I'm sure of that. I have an old Don Hume #715 that I bought for an XD-9SC. I can shoehorn the XDM45 into it, but it pulls the holster off my belt if I try and draw. SA doesn't seem to feel the need to publish full specs of their guns. I assume that if a mfr (Comp-Tac, for this example) offers a holster for the XDM 4.5" in 9mm and .40 cal, they must have some familiarity with the line. I live only 40 miles or so from the Comp-Tac facility, and I've offered the loan of my gun for measuring and/or molding. I was turned down.

After a while, one can get the feeling that there may not be many guns like mine around. It's a shame.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cooks Holster lists the XDm 45 in 4.5 with and w/o a laser, as two of the available molds. I have one for the XDS and LOVE it. Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. His first version had a fixed clip like PJs. The newer one (like mine) has an adjustable cant heavy duty clip that looks similar to the Infidel. Link is to the IWB holster. Many color options. I chose regular black.
Cook's Holsters
Get on the phone and call Bob.
Thanks, JawjuhXD. Yes the wide clip looks good. Closed bottom facilitates putting the gun/holster on. Worth a shot, so to speak. Just placed an order for one. Price is reasonable at $60 plus $7 shipping.
Incidentally, Blade Tech makes the UCH for the XDM45 4.5", and it works well, too, but you have to thread your belt through the kydex loop, so on/off is not quick. I'll report back on the Cooks holster after I've tried it for a couple weeks. Thanks again for the help.

Incidentally, if others have suggestions, I'd like to hear, as would some others I think.

·
Registered
804 Posts
:cool:

Hope it works out for you. The owner is very good to deal with. He understands customer service.

I also agree with you about the XDm line. Holsters and other add-ons are not as easy to come by as many other brands.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have a kydex holster that was made using the pattern for the 9/40. It works just fine. I talked to them beforehand so they knew it was going to be used for a 45 so they said they'd make it a little looser. It works just fine, but I prefer more retention than usual so it worked out good for me. The guns are the same shape, just the 45 is a little thicker. Kydex usually has enough give that you can shove it in. The XD is a different shape than the XDm so that's why it didn't work well that way.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a kydex holster that was made using the pattern for the 9/40. It works just fine. I talked to them beforehand so they knew it was going to be used for a 45 so they said they'd make it a little looser. It works just fine, but I prefer more retention than usual so it worked out good for me. The guns are the same shape, just the 45 is a little thicker. Kydex usually has enough give that you can shove it in. The XD is a different shape than the XDm so that's why it didn't work well that way.
Sounds like your holster mfr was a little more accommodating than Comp-Tac. They could have told me something like that, instead of just "No, not ever!" BTW, who is the mfr of your holster?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sounds like your holster mfr was a little more accommodating than Comp-Tac. They could have told me something like that, instead of just "No, not ever!" BTW, who is the mfr of your holster?
I guess I should have mentioned that haha
I went with Crown Holsters. Small company, but great customer service. I sent an email after hours, and a half hour later got a phone call.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Cook's Holsters
Thanks again for the suggestion, Jawjuh. Ordered and just arrived. First observations. I notice the model listed on the invoice is XDm 4.5 9/40/45, suggesting that a 9/40 might well work with the 45. The holster covers more of the gun than the Tucker Secret Strike it is replacing, including--potentially important--the mag release, which is exposed on the Tucker.

When I first put it on, I noticed the belt clip was really tight. In fact, it almost wouldn't go over my Galco Gunleather belt (a fairly thick, heavy gun belt). On close examination, I discovered small O-rings under the molded outside washers. Since the O-rings were actually smaller than the washers wrapped around them, I took them out and put them between the clip and the holster body. That accomplished two things. One, it moved the bottom of the clip about 1/16th of an inch away from the holster body. It also allowed for a little flex that wasn't there previously. The shape of the bottom of the clip is such that it won't slip off the belt on draw, but it is much easier to fit over the big Galco belt.

Conclusion. I now have three XDM45 4.5" holsters:

Blade Tech UCH: Works well, but it uses a kydex LOOP rather than a clip, so you must thread the belt through it, and since the loop is behind the holster, it is a slightly awkward procedure. Plus, it makes quick on / quick off impossible.

Tucker Secret Strike. Long, skinny kydex belt clip is easily broken (I broke two in a year; sold in a package of two for $20, could add up). Single screw constantly works loose as it rocks back and forth. Only advantage is it can be used as a tuckable, although when I know I'm going to have to wear a tucked shirt, I prefer the belly band holster, anyway.

Cook's. Looks like this will work. Only time will tell about durability, but my O-ring mod will reduce flexing of the kydex, and that should help. The tapered and almost closed bottom makes putting it on easier--less snagging of t-shirt and shorts.

Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cook's. Looks like this will work. Only time will tell about durability, but my O-ring mod will reduce flexing of the kydex, and that should help. The tapered and almost closed bottom makes putting it on easier--less snagging of t-shirt and shorts.
I'm glad that you may have found a solution. The owner of Cooks is all about customer service. A lifetime warranty is good, but we don't want to have to use them. Hopefully it will prove durable for you. My Cooks holster is still going strong, but it is for the much smaller XDS.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My hidden hybrid holster shipped today for my XDm 9mm 4.5, with X5L. Got the ECR magnet version just for fun.

Glad the OP has found his product.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My hidden hybrid holster shipped today for my XDm 9mm 4.5, with X5L. Got the ECR magnet version just for fun.

Glad the OP has found his product.
I have the XDm40 with X5L... Who makes the holster you ordered? I'm desperate.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have the XDm40 with X5L... Who makes the holster you ordered? I'm desperate.
Here ya' go. 1st link is website, 2nd link is where you plug-in your options (cost more money, obviously), and there is a 4-6 week wait. I believe in the holster link, that is a c5l inside the Kydex, so the x5l kydex would extend closer to the end of the barrel. You may want to tick the ECR function for the Viridian after you tick the X5L as your mounted accessory; it automatically turns-off the X5L in the last state it was in, when you holster the sidearm. It automatically turns-on the X5L in the last state it was in, when you draw the sidearm. I believe a neodymium magnet is used to control the magnetic switch in the Viridian X5L, if memory serves.

The holster has a suede backing, which wicks moisture and gives a grippy surface against a t-shirt or skin to keep the holster secure.

My Nate Squared Pro holster for my XD-S .45 has a suede backing, and I'll never go back to a slick leather backed IWB holster, unless a pocket holster or some other OWB holster is needed. Suede makes a huge difference in comfort and holster position retention, IWB.

The holsters have received good reviews, and they are on facebook, twitter, youtube and instagram if you tolerate social media networks. I don't because I'm a farty, old curmudgeon. Got social network fever out of my system 20 years ago; what a waste of time, and dangerous on the road. I do slum on youtube a bit, so guilty as charged there.

It may be unimportant to you, but I thought it (neodymium ECR operation) was a novelty I could use on occasion. Sorry for the tome, but I wanted to cover all the bases. ;-]

Hidden Hybrid Holsters

http://shop.hiddenhybridholsters.com/HHH-S1A-HHH-S1A.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
Awesome, awesome, awesome! I'm pumped, this is literally exactly what I've been looking for and the ECR option definitely sounds like a good option. Did you stick with the metal clips or did you upgrade to the composite?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Awesome, awesome, awesome! I'm pumped, this is literally exactly what I've been looking for and the ECR option definitely sounds like a good option. Did you stick with the metal clips or did you upgrade to the composite?
I stuck with the metal clips, but did think about the polymer clips. Will see if the metal clips screw anything up, then get the polymers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I stuck with the metal clips, but did think about the polymer clips. Will see if the metal clips screw anything up, then get the polymers.
Good deal, I appreciate it.. Cheers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Got the holster today, fits the sidearm perfectly, and the only complaint I have is the suede backing is a bit too thin for my taste. I suppose some is better than none, but the suede was thinned at the edges of the holster to blend-in better with the leather, or done for stitching, or some other thing, and left uneven patches around the backing edges.

Possibly a minor detail, along with the dye or coloring on the suede wiping-off when I stroked my thumb across it. YMMV.

HHH should take a lesson on how suede backing is done right by Nate Squared Holsters. A full suede backing would have added thickness and weight to the holster, as the leather is already thick, which is a very good trait, really. This may be the reason for not going thicker suede, as they would probably have to sew an edge roll around the perimeter of the holster. In the HHH's defense, Nate's uses a thinner leather sandwich; very thin face leather, and what appears to be a very thin neoprene center, giving it a somewhat "padded" feel, and full suede backing. It also has an edge roll around the perimeter, to keep everything together. They could get by with that because of the thin materials they used.

Anyway, I like the holster. Thick, quality leather. Thick, quality kydex, and most important, it fits my X5L equipped sidearm like a glove, and the ECR magnet is mounted very cleverly within the holster with a screw. The observation about the suede is just a personal nit, and in no way affects my pleased purchase of this holster. I would buy another, tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

My Comp-Tac paddle holster is interchangeable with my XDm 4.5 .40 and .45. Also, I have a MULTI-HOLSTER for my XDm 5.25 40 that also fits my XDm 5.25.
45. The frame size appears to be almost the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bravoconcealment.com I can't believe I forgot about them, they make good ****. cheers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts