Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a HWS, partial to EOTech, but not set on any specific brand as long as it is tough as nails. Here are my uses:

1. Close Quarters Battle (CQB) and ranges under 200 yards - mainly used to kill zombies and other undead.
  2. Used on a carbine with interrupted rail (a AA battery EO may not fit).
  3. Would like the best quality and options for the $$$, but I don't intend to use magnification or NV (night vision) with the carbine.
So, any help would be appreciated. If you know of good places to buy, that would be great as well. Thanks for the help in advance!

:-D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm looking for a HWS, partial to EOTech, but not set on any specific brand as long as it is tough as nails. Here are my uses:

1. Close Quarters Battle (CQB) and ranges under 200 yards - mainly used to kill zombies and other undead.
  2. Used on a carbine with interrupted rail (a AA battery EO may not fit).
  3. Would like the best quality and options for the $$$, but I don't intend to use magnification or NV (night vision) with the carbine.
So, any help would be appreciated. If you know of good places to buy, that would be great as well. Thanks for the help in advance!

Use AR15.com Equipment exchange and search for EoTech you will find tones of them

·
Registered
127 Posts
Used on a carbine with interrupted rail (a AA battery EO may not fit)

A full length EO and a BUIS will "just fit" on a flat top carbine with a standard handguard. That's the setup I am using for now while I'm waiting for my quad rail to deliver. The ease of AA batteries are still an option for you...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I was actually trying to determine which company and model to get - what you all like and why. I know there are tons of places to get them, but I wasn't sure which features are worth the extra bucks and why some people like Aimpoint better than EOTech and vice versa.

Tell me why you chose the HWS you did and which you think I should buy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I always go with the Eotech, because my own personal experience hasnt been good with aimpoints (DISCLAIMER: I know that aimpoint has a well deserved reputation for durability and reliability, Im just stating MY experience).

I have a 557 and its ok. I dont really like the bullet drop reticle on it, and i dont really like how its mount is higher than others. That being said, I like the controls being on the side, it makes it easy with gloved fingers and you dont have to squeeze your fingers between the sight and the BUIS. I also like how the front of the mount is raised so you can mount it far foward on the interrupted rail.

If I were to buy another one, I would probably go with the 556 or the 553. I am a big fan of the surefire 123A batteries. They last a lot longer, take up less space, and my lights use the same so I just have to carry one type of battery. I like 556 because the controls are on the side, but I like the 553 for the ARMS quick throw levers.

Of course, If you dont have Night vision and dont intend to, there is no reason to spend the extra cash on the NV models (55- is night vision, 51- is no night vision).

Just my $.02, hope it helps.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have an Eotech 512. Plain jane no night vision AA batteries. It works great out to 200 yrds for me and they are starting to drop the price on them due to new models coming out.:D

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

EOTech 511

Pros:
  • Tiny! My SBR is small, so I wanted to keep it light. The AA model would have seemed out of scale.
  • Awesome reticle. For a CQB-type gun, the 65 MOA circle reticle is by far my favorite. I've looked at them all and I haven't found a quicker reticle for target acquisition than some sort of dot-in-a-donut like the EOTech.
  • Rugged and easily adjustable too, with the push-button adjustments.
  • Cheaper than most. For around $300, you can find them brand new. Aimpoints are significantly more.
Cons:
  • Only 200 hour life on N-batteries. No huge deal, I just always keep a few extra sets on hand. Aimpoints definitely have the upper hand here.
  • Low mount - I'd prefer it to be about 1/2" higher for lowe-third cowitness. Not a huge deal because my sights are flip-up. I have true co-witness right now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Tru-Glo makes a holographic sight you can pick up for about $150.00. I like the set up because it was inexpensive and seems to work well on my rifle. The unit requires one cr-22 battery however if you leave the unit on it will run the battery down quickly. The unit also has a choice of four recticles in red or green with five different light intensities. The first one I bought was defective and they sent me another one fairly quickly. For the money I have found it to be a good buy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys! :D

I am partial to the EOTech in a 123 setup I think. Man, wish I could afford a 553 in dark earth :cry:

Please feel free to continue giving me suggestions regarding which HWS I should choose.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts

not a holographic sight ;)

But this one would be better than that model, new model, bigger field of view, better fiber optic.
I have one like you posted but on a carry handle mount.
I've been thinking about this new one, I like the idea of no batteries.
If I do some horse trading, I think I'll pick one up.

Trijicon RX30-23 42mm Reflex Scope - 6.5 MOA Amber Dot Sight with A.R.M.S. #15 Throw Lever Flattop Mount w/ FREE UPS

·
Registered
127 Posts
Make sure you look at both the Eotech and Aimpoint mounted on a rifle before you buy.

I "really" prefer the reticle and open view through the Eotech, but the Aimpoint is a bit more rugged and the new ones have an incredible battery life. Even as an Eotech owner I would say pick the Aimpoint if you have no visual preference after trying both. They are like Coke and Pepsi. You really can't go wrong either way...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Scott. Yeah, I really need to get down to my LGS and have a look. I have looked through an EOTech, but not an AimPoint, and especially not side by side to see differences. That's a great idea. :)

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
not a holographic sight ;)

I know, but although they cost an arm and a leg, Trijicon sights are usually worth the money. Whether or not you can justify spending that much though is another question altogether.

I don't keep up-to-date on these things... can you get that newer version with the amber triangle reticule too?

ETA: I'm trijicon biased... they seem pretty indestructible to me and don't rely on electronics of any kind. All good things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts