Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to get my own XD. I bought one for my wife a while back... a standard 4" .45, black, she adores it! Now, I've decided I'm ready to move on and get one for myself.

I want a bi-tone. It will be in .45 ACP. But... do I get a Standard, or should I get an XDm? Why do you think I should get either? Which would you get? I know it's MY decision ultimately... but I'd like to foster opinion. Assume I can afford either pistol, why should I get one or the other? I will be using the gun for concealed carry (not worried about size, I'm a big guy carrying a double-stack Para Ordnance P13 right now, I can conceal either one), I will also shoot it every time I go to the range, likely with a big evil grin on my face.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I ever got over my desire/need for a thumb safety, it might be a difficult decision for me. :D

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
even though you are not worried about size, I'd suggest the XD45 Compact. I have around 3k rounds through mine and it has worked amazingly. so, naturally I'm biased toward that. However, both the XD and DXm 45 are great guns

if you are set on a full size, find a place and try the 2 out. either way you won't be disappointed. I've shot the XDm45 and really liked it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am considering the compact too... but was kinda more interested in the differences between the XD and XDm. I like that I can get the mag extensions for the compact and shoot it full-sized at the range. Kinda like 2 guns in one. :cool:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Definitely XDm45 over the XD45 because of feeding issues with the latter that are addressed with the former. Do a search for "mag problems" or "nose dive jams" for details.

CX

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Definitely XDm45 over the XD45 because of feeding issues with the latter that are addressed with the former. Do a search for "mag problems" or "nose dive jams" for details.

CX
as a side note to that, I haven't had ANY feeding issues with my XD45

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, me either, but I also haven't tried shooting LSWC's out of it. Wife's gun seems to shoot 230gr. RN all day long. I've pretty much committed to just sticking with RN bullets when I reload .45 any more, but... I still like that they have apparently addressed some issues with the XDm.

Accuracy differences? I'm assuming the grip can be made to feel identical? (I LOVE the grip on the XD!) I know the XDm has a "match grade" barrel, but honestly, the wife's XD is pretty stinkin' accurate as it is.

Great information folks! Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

CX
Have to agree with CX.

You are a fortunate one. For whatever reason, I had feed issues with the last bullet the last time I went out shooting. Just the last bullet, though. :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
i was having trouble hand cycling a bunch of SWC loads my father in law gave me and they were nose diving nearly every time (though factory winchester FMJs were no problem at all). I thought it was just his loads, but it turns out that the SWC loads simply aren't XD45 friendly. Go figure, forum search for the win!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the 45 XDm and I love it, no issues with any ammo I have used, the grip feels perfect not like the big Lego brick on a Glock 21, and for me it seems to have little recoil my brother's M9 seems to have more than my XDm.
But I have not fired an XD so I don't know if it is the same or not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an XDm .40 with the 3.8" barrel. I know that might make a difference, but one thing I was surprised about was the sights on the XDm are combat sights, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the XD has regular 6 o'clock sights, right?

I've never shot a regular XD, but I do love my XDm, just not totally crazy about the sights. Not necessarily a bad thing, I just wasn't expecting it. I plan to swap mine out with Dawson Adjustables pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I'm a big advocate of shooting them before you buy, any gun. I was going to buy an XDM 45 as IMO, it is a fantastic gun. I had also fired the XD 45, fantastic as well. I went with the XDc 45 only because I wanted that dark earth. I know some have had issues shooting SWC loads but I'm never going to use them so no worries. As long as it shoots the ball and the self defense ammo I put through it, it's all good. It has done exactly that but I've only put 250 rounds through it so far. If I were choosing between the two on looks alone, the XDM would have it as I think it's probably one of the best looking guns out there.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
The XDm will feed SWCs. You can change the backstraps to fit the pistol to your hand. And, is sight radius an issue? Whether or not the Match Grade barrel is an advertising gimmick is a non issue for me. I have a match grade trigger (PRP) so the barrel definitely seems to be Match Grade. I have the XDm for these reasons and I highly recommend it! ;)

·
Registered
667 Posts
have both, the xd and xdm in 45acp. both are great for accuracy, comfort, the xdm does have the changable backstrape, if that makes a difference with you, the "match" grade barrel is a "non-issue" with me, one xdm advantage is not having to pull the trigger to remove the slide when cleaning, to be honest, I shoot my xd all the time, only because I have put so much into the gun and it is "broken in", If it ever goes down, I will switch to the xdm, Both are great guns!! Maybe this little bit of info helps:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See... I'm thinking XDm too... wife has XD, if I get the XDm, then technically I have both. :cool:

They both use the same 13rd mags, correct?

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
They both use the same 13rd mags, correct?
correct, with the 45, the XD and XDm have the same mags, get what you like.

If they come out with an XDm45c, I'll get my XD45c a friend, I could just never replace it, it was my first carry gun, and for me, it's awesome. For full size, after thinking about it, I'd say go with the XDm. While I personally have never had problems with the XD feeding, others have, and the accuracy from the XDm45 is great, I've had the chance to shoot my friends XDm45, and it was sweet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I prefer the XD for concealed carry as opposed to the XDM because the sides of the grip of the XD are smooth and more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts