Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have decided that I want to buy a 9mm 1911 to use in IDPA's ESP Division. I'm looking for the following features.

1. Reliable. Failures during a match hose your score.
2. Durable. Since it will be a monthly match gun plus practice in between for years to come, it needs to be able to handle high round counts.
3. Affordable. I can't afford a Nighthawk, Wilson, etc... I need to keep it to $1k at the max.
4. IDPA Legal.
5. I'd like a mag well
6. I'd like some checkering on the front strap. Prefer 25 or 30 lpi. I have a 1911 now with 20 lpi and it is a bit too abrasive for the amount of rounds I plan to fire through this gun.
7. I'd like fixed night sights.
8. I'd like a durable finish since IDPA matches are usually rain or shine. This means stainless steel... good. Blued carbon steel... bad.
9. Good trigger.
10. Available. Many of the models I like the best seem to be hard to find like the Dan Wesson PM-9 and the Springfield Loaded 9mm.
11. I'd like a Series 70 trigger system since I hate the Schwarz crap and 70 triggers seem easier to tune.

That's about all I can think of right now.

If they still made the STI Trojan 5.0 in Stainless Steel, I would have no question. I'd just change the sights, add a mag well and call it a day. If I don't find a better option, I guess I will get a Trojan anyway and just look into an aftermarket finish down the road. I LOVE the looks of the Kimber Tactical Pro II in 9mm, but it fails on #11. Plus, it is a lightweight Commander and I'd think a steel framed 5" would be better for IDPA. I am willing to go with a Commander if it has everything else. In fact, most of the 1911's I've owned over the years have been Commander length.

I heard a rumor that Dan Wesson was going to crank up production of the PM-9 for 2009. If so, that would be a good choice, although I'd need to change the sights, add a mag well and get the front strap checkered. I have a Dan Wesson CBOB now and love it so I'd be willing to go through a little added expense if these actually do become available.

Anyway, what would you guys suggest for my needs?

·
Registered
267 Posts
FYI,I just converted a Colt 38 super to 9mm and am very happy with the results. I used a Kart EZ 9mm barrel and except for having to have the final throat done by a gunsmith I did it all myself. Since it is a Colt I got the quality I wanted and add on features are easy to come by. Oh by the way it is SS so very durable and the trigger is very good. The only thing I would like to replace is the sights with something more visible. The three dots are great but could be better.

I got this for IDPA and a plus is I can use the same Serpa holster, Safariland belt and mag carrier I use for my other Government models. Also, the 38 super mags feed 9mm without fail.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Springfield EMP is my suggestion and i am pretty partial to it too. :grin:

i know it does not fit all of your requirements, but i had the picture and thought i'd share it with ya.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had once Kimber full size 1911 stainless in 9mm and extra barrel from Bar Sto,
supper shooter in both calibers and did not need to adjust the sights for either. I used separate mags for 9mm and 38 super. I had to sell it in hard times.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just picked up the Springfield Loaded Stainless in 9mm. I don't know much about Competition shooting, but I can tell you that it's accurate and reliable. No front strap checkering, but I'm sure you can order it that way or have it done.

At just over $800 you would have room in your budget to do an upgrade or two.

·
Registered
63 Posts
are you stuck on a 1911 ? shop around and you can pickup a really nice older SIG 226 (alloy frame, blackened stainless slide) for around $400, sometimes less ... the wide magazines and magazine well mean you don't need a big added on magwell, the gun is as reliable as a brick and lasts longer than most buildings do these days ... the axis of the bore is closer to your hand so the recoil produces less muzzle rise and there are all kinds of sights available for it ... I put LPA fiber optics on mine and Hogue fingergroove rubber grips and it's good to go for both IPSC and IDPA

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are you stuck on a 1911 ? shop around and you can pickup a really nice older SIG 226 (alloy frame, blackened stainless slide) for around $400, sometimes less ... the wide magazines and magazine well mean you don't need a big added on magwell, the gun is as reliable as a brick and lasts longer than most buildings do these days ... the axis of the bore is closer to your hand so the recoil produces less muzzle rise and there are all kinds of sights available for it ... I put LPA fiber optics on mine and Hogue fingergroove rubber grips and it's good to go for both IPSC and IDPA
I'm thinking you are not familiar with IDPA. ESP is a division that is owned and ruled by fast, single action, light recoiling guns like a 9mm 1911 or the CZ75SA. If you show up at a match with a DA gun in ESP you are going to get your clock cleaned. Also, compared to most, the bore axis on a Sig P series is quite high.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the bore axis on the SIG is lower than the 1911, and at the last IDPA match where I shot the 226 I finished 10th out of 72 shooters with it, most of them younger than my nearly 60 tender years

1 - 10 of 10 Posts