Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've gotten my girlfriend to say that she wants to go to the range with me, but I still have a few things holding me back. I only have one pistol and it is my XD40. I don't want to start her off with it for fear that it will scare her and she won't ever want to shoot anything again. Also think she would have more fun if she could shoot something accurately enough to have fun.

I don't have a whole lot of money to spend right now, but I've come up with a couple ideas that I think I could do with my budget. Both ideas are things that I'd like to eventually do anyway, just deciding which I'd like to do first and getting her shooting will decide which one I do first.

1) Try to find a used .22 pistol that we could plink away with.
2) Get a 9mm conversion barrel for my XD40.

At this point I need to stick with semi-automatics because she doesn't like revolvers (long story). I think at this point I'm leaning towards the conversion barrel, but open to any ideas that you guys might have.

I think that about sums up the situation. The only other thing that I can think of that might be pertinent to the situation is that she has hands that are pretty small.

Thanks for the help.
jonas

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You are lucky.. my GF told me that if I didn't buy a gun, she would tell everyone how long my penis really is... (I tend to exagerate a bit...) Mine grew up around guns and hunting, so for her a man without a gun is not really a man.. (I really like her!!!)

In your situation.. I would suggest the Baretta NEO. They are pretty inexpensive, and look like a joy to shoot. I have never actually shot one so I can't give you first hand experience on this... but that is the way I would go.

Raymond

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Captain Ray said:
In your situation.. I would suggest the Baretta NEO. They are pretty inexpensive, and look like a joy to shoot. I have never actually shot one so I can't give you first hand experience on this... but that is the way I would go.

Raymond
Looks like a good option. I'll have to show it to her and see what she says. She's very picky about the way the gun looks, but she didn't like the pictures I showed her of XDs before I got mine then she liked the way it looked in person. I'll show her some pics of that Beretta and see what she says.

Thanks, jonas.

·
Registered
595 Posts
A 9mm conversion barrel will give you the option of ammo variety for when you want to shoot her with your XD. :wink:.....oops.....I meant shoot your XD with her. :lol:

·
Premium Member
24,260 Posts
wentthru this about a year ago back , and i opted for a mkII ruger put a red dot on top of it , and she went wild totally loved it , she can cut cloverleafs with it at 10 feet and shes happy , cheap entertainment for her while i shoot , low recoil and easy sighting only way t go for ladies starting out in the handgun sport, i let her use my XD;s in a 9mm and my 1911 45 acp and she says , god i hate those give me my ruger back!!!! and at less then 10 bucks for 500 rounds she can shoot till shes had enough shes got her own shooting bag now and keeps all her ear protection ammo and gun in it shesa happy camper which in turn???? well yu know the rest of the story hahahahha

·
Registered
196 Posts
See if you can get an used Ruger .22s or Browning Buckmarks. Should be less than $250. And when you start off, a good safety class would be highly recommended. If possible start out at 15 feet or so. Start with blank paper to get her used to shooting, then add some target. My suggestion for the target is Shoot-N-Sees. They give instant feed back.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Get her a decent inexpensive .22 Browing or Ruger are great options. Dont spoil a future shooting partner with lots of recoil. Hell, even rent a .22 for her shoot and then maybe have her pop off a few in the XD.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
After I got my first XD-40 4", I took my girlfriend to the indoor range. She was very apprehensive at first, but after the first magazine, she was hooked. I just leave a couple of magazines with her and she would do the rest. It doesn't hurt that she's a sniper's daughter. There is nothing wrong with sharing one pistol. It allows you to get closer to her and show her the proper stance and technic. :lol:

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I took my sister out to teh range with my friend's .40 glock service pistol and his .40 sub-compact, she was scared at first, but can't wait to get back here to visit and get some range time. Oh yeah, she must weigh like, 20lbs too. But she loved it!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I recently took my lil sister shootin. She was really shy about it, but wanted to try just for fun.
I let her let loose with the AR first....it took her a whole 10 minutes to get the nerve to pull the trigger. Thinking it'd be a hard recoil....after the first shot she looks stunned, and emptied the mag.
She wasn't too shy the 9mm let me tell ya after that :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ditto on the Walther P22. The new ones are very reliable and it is a good teaching gun to work up to the bigger caliber weapons. Heck, it even has a DA/SA trigger system.

-stunks

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
poortrader said:
After I got my first XD-40 4", I took my girlfriend to the indoor range. She was very apprehensive at first, but after the first magazine, she was hooked. I just leave a couple of magazines with her and she would do the rest. It doesn't hurt that she's a sniper's daughter. There is nothing wrong with sharing one pistol. It allows you to get closer to her and show her the proper stance and technic. :lol:
:wink:

Hmmmmmmmm!

:lol:

Great idea about the 9MM conversion Barrel and the .22!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Steps to get the ladies out shooting:
1. Send her into the shop to pick out anything she likes, provided whe puts a few rounds through it to make sure that she likes it. Pay for it, and never look at the price, because no matter how much it was, it was worth it.

2. Accessorize. Show her the options of refinishing in color. To many ladies, what color it is/ how it looks will outweigh almost anything else. Keep in mind all of the incredibly uncomfortable things they wear (not that I know through experience) jsut because of how they look.

3. Tie a trip the range with something that you know she likes to do. By association, the outing becomes a more positive experience, even if the shooting isn't her favorite part. A great example of this is you sitting through a chick-flick with her each time after you go to the range (you may clean the guns together while you watch). Not fun, but keeps things fairly balanced. Dry firing at the chick flick characters using a gun built for it during the chick flick (always unloaded, safety first) can make it a bit better for both involved.

4. Many ladies like to compete. After the get familiar period with shooting, finding a suitable handicap (assuming that you are better, which you may not be :shock: ) and competing against each other works for many ladies.

Gave the wife my Ruger Mark II when we got married (in case I ever get out of line, she has full permission to use it). IMHO, getting ladies into guns is the best thing you can do in your house.

1. The lady is safer at home when you aren't there because she can safely and confidantly handle her gun (some will even carry). Mine just finished telling me her plan if someone breaks in and I'm not there. Quite a proud moment for any guy.
2. The attitude about guns that your kids pick up (especially daughters) will be closely tied to their mothers opinion. Heck, my mom taught me to shoot.
3.With both of you into it, more of the family budget can go towards it. Even sharing some equiptment can reduce expense, freeing up funds for more toys. :D

Good luck,
Aaron Stevens

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went through this exactly three weeks ago. I have the tactical 40 and my girlfriend had never shot a gun before. So i took her to the range to shoot and started off by renting a 22 then when she understood the basics and felt comfortable with the gun we moved up. I wanted to move her to the 9mm but she wanted to go straight to the .40. So i let her shoot mine. She could handel it and hit the target fairly well but she didnt like how snappy it was. After that i rented the 9mm and she felt very comfortable with the 9mm and started shooting better than me unfortunatley. Now im in the dilema of buying her a 9mm or a 22. The 9mm is nice and controlable with somestopping power. The 22 is very inexpensive to shoot at the range all day and she could easily get sevral shots off on taget rapidly. I dont know its a tough choice. Good luck with your situation.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
About her being scared of it, odds are she won't be.

I "trained" a girlfriend with my AK-47. After her first shot, she cried (which by the way, was a YUGE turn-off :lol:). I quickly said "Holy god, let's get out of here." It turned out that she was just thinking entirely too much about the recoil, but only because she wasn't aiming at anything.

Just get the girl to actually aim at something and be thinking about something completely different rather than how much it's going to recoil. It would probably help if you refrained from even talking about how it "kicks."

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but hopefully I will sort something out soon. I feel a little better about letting her shoot my gun after hearing some success stories with higher caliber guns. The main advantage that I see to a .22 pistol now would be that we could both shoot at the same time (once I became comfortable with her shooting without supervision, of course).

In the end, the biggest problem might end up being trying to find a time where we can both go to the range. :?

I will be sure to let everyone know how things work out eventually.

Thanks again for the help.
jonas

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I hope it works out for you another option is if you have a buddy that reloads you could have him make some bunny farts.I have a really nice load I just made and is lighter than a 9mm in my 40 sc.Find it in the ammo can.
If a 22 seems like #1 option walther p22 is a great gun accrate in both barrel lengths and can buy them with 3.5 and 5" in one kit :shock:

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I really don't think the .40 will be that bad for her to shoot. Like someone else mentioned: You could always rent a 9mm or whatever at the range and have her work up to a .40, but I think you should just let her try it right up front, and if it's too much, go down a little. She will probably be able to handle it just fine. My girlfriend had no problems w/ my 9mm at all, and she has small hands. I'm not sure, since I've never fired a .40, but I don't think it's much "rougher" of a shot, is it?

My girlfriend and I shared my XD-9 subbie for a while at the range (until she got her own about 2 weeks ago). We just took turns: 4 targets on the cardboard backer, 4 sets of 10 rnd mags, 10 shots into each target, then post new targets. I'd reload her mags while she was shooting (we only had 2 mags at the time). Then the next person shot. It wasn't a big deal, because we were BOTH shooting together, even though we only had one gun. Then we'd go out to lunch/dinner afterwards. Having a "tradition" like that helps it be more fun and special.

Let her at the .40 right away. You will probably be surprised how well she can handle it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts