Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing a PRP trigger set, I tried to test it by putting the slide back onto the frame before putting all the frame parts back together.

Long story short, my slide is now caught on the frame, and I have no way to get it off!

Any tips/advice on how to remove it?

It looks like the sear is catching on something which prevents me from taking the slide off.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
What did you forget to put back on? Need to know that before we can help. What's the gun doing right now? In detail please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm.... I seem to have done it again, where the slide won't come off the frame.

This time, the only parts I odnt have installed on there is the frame lock and the slide release.
Even after I push the sear down, and the gun is no longer cocked, the slide won't come free. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm. Got everything put together again, but notice one thing wrong--- i can fire independently of the grip safety; the grip safety doesn't seem neccesary for striker release. any hints?

I'm using the powder river precision kit

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Picture of the sear and grip safety area?

·
Registered
116 Posts
most likely you need to take a small amount of material off the back of the sear look at the instructions for the area it tell you to remove it it will allow your grip safety to come out more and will then be functional. The grip safety is depressed too much allowing the it to fire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the grip safety to work.

I reassembled the XD, and it passed all safety and function tests. I think I finally got the trigger installed! And man, is it a big improvement over the stock...

After futzing with this XD for the past 3 hours, and going through at least 3 oh-**** moments, I have a newfound respect for pistol-smiths. I'm used to a 5 min drop in kit for my AR's trigger... While frustrating, I still enjoyed doing it just to learn more about how the XD works. (And maybe some pride in my worksmanship after polishing everything w/ 600grit sandpaper)

thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got the grip safety to work.

I reassembled the XD, and it passed all safety and function tests. I think I finally got the trigger installed! And man, is it a big improvement over the stock...
snip

thanks for all the help guys
ANYBODY that doesn't RTFI (me for instance) and watch the Power River Videos deserves to spend hours upon hours working on a really easy install...again me for instance.

My suggestion is to use a fine stone, 600 grit carbide paper (180 on the over travel), a good mic or a delicate touch on a dial caliper. Ok I've got all of this, having been in the machining trades for 35 years.

I had to take .003" off the width of the sear, .005" off the grip safety and .003 off the trigger reset. I can't tell you how much off the overtravel, I just used the sand and squeeze method until it released and tested ok. On the push down test, that's where you push down on the slide and try to 'fire'. I had to take off a bit more off the over travel for that.

I also installed an extended mag release from Springer. I don't know where they get them from but I'd suggest that their supplier spend a minute removing the razor sharp edges before they oxide the steel. The oversize slide stop from Springer is pretty good, again I'd like to have seen a few minutes in a tumbler or a fast hit with a wire wheel, it wasn't bad but I've got delicate fingers. :p

I also spend a few minutes making sure that all points of contact were nice and smooth with my oil stone then cleaned & lubed.

All in all once I pulled my head out of my arse everything worked well and the gun didn't blow up so I guess that's good. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts