Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get an XD Service model gun but am undecided on what calibre to get. I want it in 357 Sig. but in miami they do not sell the bullets they are very hard to find. Neither walmart or sports authority sell them an I am sure that at the gun shop they are supper expensive. Where do you guys buy you 357Sig bullets. I think the high price of the ammo plus the the fact that I dont know where to buy them around town i am going to go with the 40 cal. What do you guys think i should do and also where do you guys get your 357Sig ammo and is there really a big price difference between the 357Sig and 40Cal.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i turned down the .357sig because of ammo price. went with a .40, but there is absolutly nothing wrong with a 9mm... ammo is cheep and common.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I am stuck on 9mm and will never change! (I hope) :eek:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
umm... yes and no.

.40 is definatley snapier
9mm is a lot faster with target aquisition

one doesnt necessarily kick harder than the other, but you can tell the difference between them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have both 9mm and .40 cal. in the Service Model but I find myself shooting the 9 more than twice as much as the .40. The main reason, of course, is the price of the ammo. I like the little extra "bang" from the .40 but not enough to spend that much extra feeding it. You hear lots of discssion about the relative merits of these two rounds for self-defense but I figure if you can double-tap the bad guy in the right place, it doesn't make a lot of difference.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Punisher said:
I am going to get an XD Service model gun but am undecided on what calibre to get. I want it in 357 Sig. but in miami they do not sell the bullets they are very hard to find. Neither walmart or sports authority sell them an I am sure that at the gun shop they are supper expensive. Where do you guys buy you 357Sig bullets. I think the high price of the ammo plus the the fact that I dont know where to buy them around town i am going to go with the 40 cal. What do you guys think i should do and also where do you guys get your 357Sig ammo and is there really a big price difference between the 357Sig and 40Cal.
www.georgia-arms.com

Runs about the 25 cents more per 100 rounds than WWB 40 at walmart

357 sig ammo is harder to find and it does cost more typcially than 40, GA reloads solve that problem

.357 sig is 10x more fun to shoot than the 40, which is already fun to shoot and the 40 is 5x time more fun than the 9mm.

If you are worried about it, you can always get a connversions barrel

·
Registered
452 Posts
NExd said:
www.georgia-arms.com

Runs about the 25 cents more per 100 rounds than WWB 40 at walmart

357 sig ammo is harder to find and it does cost more typcially than 40, GA reloads solve that problem

.357 sig is 10x more fun to shoot than the 40, which is already fun to shoot and the 40 is 5x time more fun than the 9mm.

If you are worried about it, you can always get a connversions barrel
What's the shipping usually run?? Could see anything on thier web site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
9mm is definately the cheapest ($5 a box). Usually I shoot wolf for max savings in service grade pistols, but right now www.natchezss.com has S&B 9mm for a hair shy of $5 per 50.

They say the best defensive gun is the one you can shoot the best and this is usually the one you shoot the most. The difference between a 9mm and the .40 or .357 Sig won't make a difference in a self defense situation unless you are making up for poor shot placement. Bottom line is... If you are worried about the cost difference between .40 and .357, then the 9mm is the right caliber for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No disrespect for the 9 mm, that's what I carry everyday. But I am a firm believer that the .40 is a better round for protection. I say that only because of the FBI shooting that occurred in Miami, and the resulting ballistics investigation.

http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/shooting.htm and also

http://www.thegunzone.com/11april86b.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/miami-ammo.html

I would suggest that if you are going to rely on the 9 mm, go with a +P load, JHP. (that's what I do, anyway). The price of WWB .40 and 9 mm at Wal-Mart is nearly the same price, for range purposes.

All in all, a well placed shot with either will do the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts