Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a new BCM BCG and was taking it apart to clean. After I was done, I was using a brass punch to push the extractor pin back into place when I slipped and it scratched the bolt. The scratch is not deep enough to have damaged the metal, but it did remove all the finish down to the bare metal along the scratch. Will the bolt rust there now? Should I get one of those Birchwood Casey Black pens or is it no big deal and I should not worry at all?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I just got a new BCM BCG and was taking it apart to clean. After I was done, I was using a brass punch to push the extractor pin back into place when I slipped and it scratched the bolt. The scratch is not deep enough to have damaged the metal, but it did remove all the finish down to the bare metal along the scratch. Will the bolt rust there now? Should I get one of those Birchwood Casey Black pens or is it no big deal and I should not worry at all?
Brass will not scratch steel, use some 000 steel wool or a green scrubby pad and some copper solvent to remove it. Its nothing more than brass over the finish on your bolt.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Brass will not scratch steel, use some 000 steel wool or a green scrubby pad and some copper solvent to remove it. Its nothing more than brass over the finish on your bolt.
+1

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just a FYI, in the future just push the back of the extractor and the pin should fall right out. The little spring keeps enough pressure on the extractor pin to keep it from falling out so all you need to so is compress that spring a little.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
You detail strip your bolt every cleaning? I just clean under the extractor claw and make sure I still have plenty of tension. Do you detail strip your pistols at every cleaning?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
You detail strip your bolt every cleaning? I just clean under the extractor claw and make sure I still have plenty of tension. Do you detail strip your pistols at every cleaning?
There's a bit of a difference between an XD's recoil system and a DI gas system that blows all the crud right back into your bolt carrier...

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Oh I'm well aware of how an AR operates, still is a bit excessive unless your running a thousand rounds through the gun in a carbine class etc.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I'm well aware of how an AR operates, still is a bit excessive unless your running a thousand rounds through the gun in a carbine class etc.
Did you even read the original post? It wasn't just a routine cleaning after a trip to the range. It was a brand new bolt that I was cleaning all the crap off of that they put on in the factory. THAT requires a more detailed cleaning than just a trip to the range.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
oh I have a bravo bolt. The oil they ship them in is pretty much just that. I never clean that off I just pop them right in. Your bolt should be wet with lube anyway. As should the cam pin hole in the carrier, and of course the rails on the carrier. I wasn't really flaming you, just thought it was strange to detail strip your bolt. But you're right, I did mis-read the post. I was under the impression you stripped the bolt after a range trip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts