Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the range, where I found out I forgot to load powder into a round and ended up with a bullet stuck 1/2" down the barrel. That wasn't a big deal, it was out a couple minutes later. Unfortunately, I decided to put the slide on the gun without the barrel or guide rod and now I can't it it back apart to put them back in. It seems like the slide is catching on something. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
oh dang.
have fun beating the crap out of your slide

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Luckly I have never had this happen. Check the forums, I think someone stickied the process.

I hear it is rough and requires a bit of brute strength or a trip to SA.

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fixed it. It ended up not being a big deal. All I had to do was get it back to "normal" position with the takedown lever up, make sure I had the grip safety pressed and pull the trigger as usual. Without the GR the slide moved around freely so that was the trick, getting it into the right position so everything worked as intended

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Miss your coffee dosage that morning? Lucky you weren't practicing double-taps, that coulda been....bad.

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Miss your coffee dosage that morning? Lucky you weren't practicing double-taps, that coulda been....bad.
I almost just popped out the case that I thought was an FTE, was about to load up another round and it occurred to me that maybe I should take it apart and have a look. Sure enough there was one stuck in there. I am very glad I didnt fire that 2nd round.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I almost just popped out the case that I thought was an FTE, was about to load up another round and it occurred to me that maybe I should take it apart and have a look. Sure enough there was one stuck in there. I am very glad I didnt fire that 2nd round.
Awareness is a wonderful thing.:p

·
Registered
4 Posts
This might be a stupid question... but what would have happened had he shot a second round? Gun explodes? Hand goes with it? :(

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
If you were very, very, very, very, very lucky, you might get away with FUBARing your barrel. If you were fortunate, you'd get away with FUBARing your XD and walking away without bodily injury. It's one of those things where you don't want to find out the hard way.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Just got back from the range, where I found out I forgot to load powder into a round and ended up with a bullet stuck 1/2" down the barrel. That wasn't a big deal, it was out a couple minutes later. Unfortunately, I decided to put the slide on the gun without the barrel or guide rod and now I can't it it back apart to put them back in. It seems like the slide is catching on something. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks
The striker is catching on the sear, as designed. But, you have no problem. With the take down lever in the up position. Push the slide forward. Pull the trigger. Remove slide. Reassemble correctly.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Good lesson for the newbies out there. If you have any sort of failure, or something just didn't seem right, check the gun out before pulling the trigger again. In this case, the failure didn't have enough recoil to cycle the action. Nice warning sign (if you pay attention). If he had manually cycled the action to eject the round and chamber another, he would have shot another bullet into the one stuck in the barrel. Boom. People with revolvers have to be especially careful about rapid fire.

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good lesson for the newbies out there. If you have any sort of failure, or something just didn't seem right, check the gun out before pulling the trigger again. In this case, the failure didn't have enough recoil to cycle the action. Nice warning sign (if you pay attention). If he had manually cycled the action to eject the round and chamber another, he would have shot another bullet into the one stuck in the barrel. Boom. People with revolvers have to be especially careful about rapid fire.
Yeah really I'm not sure what made me decide to check the barrel but you can be damn sure from now on whenever the slightest malfunction occurs I will be checking everything out before continuing. Luckily my instincts were good in this case but it was a lesson learned. The guy at the counter said if I had fired another round all that would have happened would be the stuck bullet would have been blown out but I would have bulged out the barrel destroying it. He said he did it himself with a 1911.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome to HS-Arms

go to "Tests"..

then scroll down for "2 Bullets Test".. and read..
The orignal poster did exactly the right thing. While its true that HS has tested the XD to demonstrate that it should not fail completely. I for one am not going to hold a firearm in my hand to test it out myself too. Noticed that HS had the pistol in test jig so no one could have gotten injured as well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The orignal poster did exactly the right thing. While its true that HS has tested the XD to demonstrate that it should not fail completely. I for one am not going to hold a firearm in my hand to test it out myself too. Noticed that HS had the pistol in test jig so no one could have gotten injured as well.
Their test bullet was stuck at the end of the muzzle as well. If the bullet was closer to the breach, like in the middle, It would have created much more pressure in the barrel than the test that was performed by HS.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Wow, that test is awesome! Certainly what I wasn't expecting. I have seen similar failures that resulted in catastrophic damage, so seeing an XD survive without any damage is amazing! Not that I would expect to see damage on a well-used XD, but with a failure like that I would have thought damage to be a certain result.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts