Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
following the instructions here XD-HS2000.com but can't get the pin out. It'll move out some, i can tell cause i can push it back in a little after i pry on it a little, but beyond that nothing it won't budge. Am i being too gentle? I don't want to bend that pin. Any tips? I really wanna clean under that extractor. xdsc 9mm if it makes a difference but i was gonna do the xdm today too. thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Maybe these will give you a slightly different view to help: FREE videos of the XD and XDM by Springer Precision

Only thing I can think of is that the pin is jammed on debris. Squirt/spray the area with brake cleaner or some other solvent and keep wiggling the pin to maybe free it up.

Edit: when you said 'firing pin safety' in the title, I was thinking of the striker safety - Part 33 of the manual. And removing the pin - Part 26 - for that. The extractor you mention in the text is a different part held by same pin.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
following the instructions here XD-HS2000.com but can't get the pin out. It'll move out some, i can tell cause i can push it back in a little after i pry on it a little, but beyond that nothing it won't budge. Am i being too gentle? I don't want to bend that pin. Any tips? I really wanna clean under that extractor. xdsc 9mm if it makes a difference but i was gonna do the xdm today too. thanks in advance
Hold it (sights down) in the palm of your hand and smack the bottom of the slide (what would be closest to the frame when assembled) real good a few times with a soft faced hammer(hard plastic) ... Kinetic energy will make that extractor jump (up) out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice. No matter what i did I could not get the firing pin safety retaining pin out of the slide. I gave up after a while, reassembled the slide and finished cleaning it. I tried the xdm next and had no problem getting the pin out. The extractor was easy too, I used some break free and a L shaped hook to pry it out. after about 700 or so rounds thru the M it was dirty enough under the extractor (and in the firing pin safety well for that matter) to warrant cleaning. I'm gonna try again on the SC soon. I'll post back after my next attempt but it may be some days...thanks again..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Success! i was able to get the pin out. I sprayed some break free on it and let it sit for a while, and after prying on it at different angles it finally came loose. When i proceeded to reinstall the pin, it hung up at the same spot. So i took it back out, smoothed it out with one of those green scrub pads, and put some lube on it and it went right in. Maybe had a burr on it. Also learned that the firing pin will not go back in unless the extractor is fully seated. All in all very satisfied to have completed my first detail strip of the slide. Considering doing the frames next but i may wanna put some parts in, i'm thinking trigger kit :) thanks all for the help.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
thanks for the advice. No matter what i did I could not get the firing pin safety retaining pin out of the slide. I gave up after a while, reassembled the slide and finished cleaning it. I tried the xdm next and had no problem getting the pin out. The extractor was easy too, I used some break free and a L shaped hook to pry it out. after about 700 or so rounds thru the M it was dirty enough under the extractor (and in the firing pin safety well for that matter) to warrant cleaning. I'm gonna try again on the SC soon. I'll post back after my next attempt but it may be some days...thanks again..
Glad you got it apart, and ... I only know that technique, and passed that advice from the AGI gunsmith video for the XD.

At +13,000 rounds, and having never removed the extractor, I beg to differ about it needing to be cleaned via removal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts