Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the IT industry for over a decade now and want to start learning a trade that I can carry into old age while expressing myself artistically.

So I'm looking for a knife maker/metal smith in north texas that I can apprentice under for core skills, learn how to build my own forge, etc.

anyone here fit the bill or know of someone who might? i'm moving, about to have my first kid, etc, so it's not urgent but definitely something I'd like to start pursuing in the next year. let me know here, or at my email below.

michael ray
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
What can you offer the knife maker? That is the first thing to get a good answer on. A good friend of mine is an award winning knife maker and it only took him 25 years to get to that point. His list of people who want to learn from him is long and he gave up on apprentices because they didn't have much to offer and he needs to make money. If you aren't prepared to work for free (your education as pay), do hot dirty work, and show up on time you most likely won't last long for someone worth learning from.

If you are having your first kid soon, I wouldn't be committing to too much ;) I have a 1 and 3 year old.

Knife making is very cool and making your own stock is a whole other level of cool.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good stuff to think about, thanks. It's not something I plan to be proficient at inside of 5 years - more like 12-15 years I hope to to able to go out on my own. By that time my house/land will be paid off and I'll have enough saved up to support the endeavour. So in the meantime I'd like to spend some evenings and weekends receiving instruction and support.

what can i offer? I have a good amount of experience working in the wood shop and some automotive, so I'm not a bumbling idiot when it comes to machinery or building trades. so i can offer free labor in exchange for knowledge and practical experience.

I guess i'm looking more for a tutor than what you would consider to be a master/apprentice relationship since i'm not travelling around from town to town trying to find someone to teach me for years on end with nothing more than room, board, and knowledge as my compensation.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I talked to my buddy and he said to look for trade shows and professionals that offer classes and work shops and that he doubts any one who is highly skilled and in demand would want to work weekends and nights. He said that more people are making videos also that can be helpful when you are getting started out.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
What can you offer the knife maker? That is the first thing to get a good answer on. A good friend of mine is an award winning knife maker and it only took him 25 years to get to that point. His list of people who want to learn from him is long and he gave up on apprentices because they didn't have much to offer and he needs to make money. If you aren't prepared to work for free (your education as pay), do hot dirty work, and show up on time you most likely won't last long for someone worth learning from.

If you are having your first kid soon, I wouldn't be committing to too much ;) I have a 1 and 3 year old.

Knife making is very cool and making your own stock is a whole other level of cool.

Best of luck.
Thats how I got a foot in, worked for free with two artist blacksmiths. Already been welding, fabricating my whole life. Father taught metallurgy and metal trades, math, science, welding etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts