Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While practicing field stripping my XD9 last night I did something stupid.

After locking back the slide and rotating the slide release lever up, I accidentally pushed the slide lock release, instead of gently guiding the slide forward. Would the impact of the slide going forward with the slide release lever up cause damage? Anything I should look for to check?

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
I dont think you hurt it... it is not advisable to do all the time, but it seems that you sped up the natural process... I would just check for obvious scrapes on the rails or wherever your slide landed on the floor... lol! :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think you hurt it... it is not advisable to do all the time, but it seems that you sped up the natural process... I would just check for obvious scrapes on the rails or wherever your slide landed on the floor... lol! :)

LOL ... no the slide didn't go flying since it can't be released until dry fired. So the slide just flung to its forward position.

It jammed on me while function testing with some snap caps, but I think that was b/c I wasn't pulling the slide back hard enough to eject the caps consistently. One I pulled harder everything seemed fine. I see no visible damage either

·
Registered
855 Posts
Like the others said, I think your gun is fine but I definitely wouldn't make a habit out of that!

A bit off-topic, but I find while racking and releasing the slide at home (unloaded or with snap caps) it is pretty tough to release the slide just using the lever. So instead I pull back on the slide like I'm going to slingshot it, while pulling the release lever down and then gently let the slide move forward - similar to the way we release and guide the slide to field strip the gun.

I don't know why it is, but with live rounds in the magazine (at the range for example) it's much easier to just pull down the slide release lever, or of course you can slingshot it. Which way to do it is a subject of great debate here once in awhile!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
i did the exact same thing to my XD-9 when i first bought it.....

apx. 1000 rounds later......no problems.....

welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like the others said, I think your gun is fine but I definitely wouldn't make a habit out of that!

A bit off-topic, but I find while racking and releasing the slide at home (unloaded or with snap caps) it is pretty tough to release the slide just using the lever. So instead I pull back on the slide like I'm going to slingshot it, while pulling the release lever down and then gently let the slide move forward - similar to the way we release and guide the slide to field strip the gun.

I don't know why it is, but with live rounds in the magazine (at the range for example) it's much easier to just pull down the slide release lever, or of course you can slingshot it. Which way to do it is a subject of great debate here once in awhile!
I think I know what you are saying. I if I load the gun (with snap caps) using the method in the owners manual (using a empty magazine to lock the slide back, remove the magazine insert a loaded one), it really is harder to release the the slide with the button. I don't know why it would matter if there are caps versus live rounds in the magazine. With caps, it seems easier to insert the magazine with slide forward and then just slingshot it. Is that what you were saying as well?

But man, practicing with caps and repeatedly pulling back and releasing the slide to cycle through them makes my hands pretty sore! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I think I know what you are saying. I if I load the gun (with snap caps) using the method in the owners manual (using a empty magazine to lock the slide back, remove the magazine insert a loaded one), it really is harder to release the the slide with the button. I don't know why it would matter if there are caps versus live rounds in the magazine. With caps, it seems easier to insert the magazine with slide forward and then just slingshot it. Is that what you were saying as well?

But man, practicing with caps and repeatedly pulling back and releasing the slide to cycle through them makes my hands pretty sore! :mrgreen:
I don't know what you are practicing but you can recock the sear by just pulling the slide back about 1/2". The is no need to eject the snapcap after each trigger pull. Simple load 1 snapcap practice you trigger pull and pull the slide back 1/2" and repeat. You don't need to fill the magazine with snapcaps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what you are practicing but you can recock the sear by just pulling the slide back about 1/2". The is no need to eject the snapcap after each trigger pull. Simple load 1 snapcap practice you trigger pull and pull the slide back 1/2" and repeat. You don't need to fill the magazine with snapcaps.

Yes I did know this and for simple trigger practice this is what I have been doing. I was really just trying to get more familiar with how everything works and checking that the gun was cycling ok.

But yeah, do to the stress on your hands from pulling back all the way repeatedly, I might just go with one snap cap and a 1/2 pull on the slide to recock it;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts