Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done lots of internet research and decided to join the XD family for my first semi-auto pistol. I own a ruger single six 22/22mag in stainless today with 5 1/2" barrel.

I definitely want the XD40, and will likely add a 9mm barsto barrel later on, who knows, maybe even the .357 sig too.

The gun will mainly be for fun at the range and home defense. I live in PA and do have a ccl ... so I may wish to carry from time to time.

I'm stuck between the XD40 Service and Tactical models, can't seem to make up my mind. I've read many posts, while I think the 5" barrel may be quicker to learn to shoot, It will be harder to carry comfortably. Other posts indicate little to no difference in accuracy between the two models. What is the experience of those that own or shoot both?

Also, is stainless a choice you would make if you had the chance to buy the gun again due to the finish problems? I'm not leaning either way, but could be swayed to go stainless through your experience.

I know some will say, heck, buy one of each, but right now only have the budget for one. I'll never rule out catching XD fever though down the road a ways.

So, assuming you had one to buy, whould you go with the Service, or Tactical? In addition, which finish would you choose; standard, or stainless?

Thanks in advance for the input. Looking forward to the "B-A-N-G"

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just purchased the Tactical .40 S&W. Mostly for Range and home defense.
For a concealed carry I used to have a .40 S&W PT140 by Taurus. The service model XD would still be to large for me to carry concealed comfortable, so I am looking to buy the Sub Compact XD .40 S&W as well, but thats just my .02

·
Registered
1 Posts
I myself am facing the same problem. I'm trying to make a decision on Service or Tactical version. I want the 5" barrel however, I haven't seen where it comes in the bi-tone style, that's what first caught my eye on the XD. So I feel your problem, this post might just help me make my decision.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
after a while, i figured out how to carry my sevice model .40 comfortably. You just have to find a holster that works for you.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yep. it is going to depend on the right holster and your body. I found that the service was too big for me to conceal comfortably. I love the sub, but it still seems a bit heavy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
well that definitly is a hard choice... I bought my service first.. and have never 3700 rounds thtough it. However, I just bought a tactical , that I am going to set up for a nice range gun. My local indoor range has a fun exciting practical pistol shoot, and well the increasedlegnth and will help with recoil and sighting... so you may end up buying one but no doubt if you like it like i like mine you will end up buying both .... it just may take a few months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts