Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the xdsc, but all i can find locally is the 9mm. I have it in my head that i need the 40s&w for self defense, but is a 9mm ok? The more i read the more confused i get. I know it all comes down to good ammo, but do you guys think the difference between the 40 an 9 is substantial?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I really like the xdsc, but all i can find locally is the 9mm. I have it in my head that i need the 40s&w for self defense, but is a 9mm ok? The more i read the more confused i get. I know it all comes down to good ammo, but do you guys think the difference between the 40 an 9 is substantial?
If you have doudts ,you will never feel ok with the 9mm. I fully trust it at all times as my CCW and for home defense. 9mm loaded with good ammo ( HST, Gold Dot...) will get the job done.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I wouldn't want to be shot with EITHER! Go with the 9 dude.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I put my trust in a .380 ACP and .38 spc...certainly a 9mm is going to do alright.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter, anyways. If you think the .40 is going to be significantly better in stopping a threat then the 9mm, you are kidding yourself. They'll both perform roughly the same. Obviously some advantage to using the more powerful cartridge, but not enough to fret over.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
First question you will be asked...Which can you shoot more accurately and get back on target quicker?

I have an XD9...carry with 124 grain +P JHP Gold Dots...

9mm is "cheaper" for now = more practice unless you reload.

Also I don't think any BG will want to take a hit with a 9. Even if you have a 45 a wacked out crack head would probably keep coming unless hit multiple times. I think that would be better left to our LEO members to answer though.

Don't know if this will help...Good luck with the choice

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
My carry guns are (3) 9mm, 2 XDs and a SIG 239, 1 .38 +P Suubbie and 1 .380.

Put the shots where they count and you'll have no worries with any of them. I shoot all of them well except the snubbie revolver. 9mm is cheaper to shoot and is more comfortable...for me.

Go rent a few in different calibers and try them out. I've found that a .45 is easier to shoot well for me than a .40. The 9mm and .45 recoil back directly into my hand. The .40s tend to muzzle flip much more than other calibers so I chose not to go with it.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
the way i look at it, go with what you can shoot, i saw this guy at the range the other day blabbering about how a 45 is the only way to go. too bad when he was shooting it he couldnt shoot for ****. im not too good with a 45 , so ill stick with my 9mm i can shoot comfortably and under control

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I personaly carry a .40. Shot placement is more important then anything. I personaly prefer the bullet weight of the .40 over the 9mm. Alot of LEA, etc. adopted the 9mm due to capacity, and lighter weight. It really comes down to what best suites you. If a 9mm is more comfortable in your hands, then that's what you need to buy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 9 mm parabellum has been around for at least a 100 years and is the caliber of choice all over Europe. It is also the current caliber of the U.S. armed forces service handgun. It will definitely do the job with the proper SD ammo.

Another thought, ammo is readily available and more economical than just about anything other than .22.

I love my XD 9 SC and my Browning Hi Power. Incidentally, Mrs. Oldgringo shoots these two better than her carry .38 snubby or the .45's we own.

'Nuff said - Burma Shave

·
Registered
53 Posts
For the record, I think the 9mm will serve you just fine. but...

Reading your post, it looks like the only thing that's stopping you from getting the .40 is patience and location.

There's no way you can find a .40sc? There's a shop near me that will find and order anything at $100 over their cost. Maybe find a range that will do something like that? Can't find one online? Gunbroker.com, etc?

Like I said, the 9mm is a great weapon for all aspects. I just don't want you to end up with something you're unhappy with (even in the back of your mind) because of the current run on weapons that's making things hard to find.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I shoot better and quicker with my XD9SC than I do with my XD45 Tac. I have no worries going to the 9 first.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would put it this way; the real secret to stopping a badguy is shot placement, not caliber. The best way to ensure good shot placement is profeciency with your weapon. The only way to become more profecient with your weapon is practice, the more you practice the better you'll be. Because 9mm is significantly cheaper than either .40 or .45 you can practice more for the same amount of money.

So to summarize: stopping power=shot placement=profeciency=practice

My personal favorite round is the .40s&w. But I just plain can't afford to shoot as much as I like. I am confident enough in my 9mm that I have no problem using it, and I can afford to shoot it lots. Thats why I choose the 9mm.

But if you aren't confident enough that a 9mm is going to do the job, then don't waste your money on it, because all your gonna do is mess around with it and end up trading it for a bigger caliber and lose money in the process.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Modern 9mm hollowpoints are absolutely fine ballistically for self defense. I have never shot a SC .40 but I would bet it's snappy - my XD40 is easily the 'jumpiest' of my guns. I can shoot it very accurately due to a lot of practice, but I recently purchased a 9mm Beretta subcompact and I'm already shooting the Beretta on par with my XD accuracy wise.

I can unload the entire 14 round contents (13+1) of the Beretta as fast as I can pull the trigger into a silhouette at 25' without a shot outside of center of mass. I'm hard pressed to do that with the 40, even though I have 4 times the rounds through the XD40.

BUT ~ that's me. I've seen some people who shoot .45s like champs and spray 9mm all over their targets. With the XDsc it's a tough choice because the capacity is so close between the 9 and 40. I personally like the 9mm on recoil and cost reasons, but if you don't mind the cons, the .40 is a more powerful round. But if you shoot the guy in the arm, neither a 9mm or a 40 will blow it off and stop him :) What you shoot most accurately is the winner.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
After accuarcy with the caliber, penetration and expansion are what count. If you'll notice the graphic below the 9mm does just as well as the .40 and .45 in penetration.
Yes the larger calibers will expand to a bit larger diameter but considering .62 expansion for a 9mm and .68 expansion for a .40 in the example below, it's not that big of a difference. Don't get caught up with the foot pounds, energy dump thing, in pistol calibers energy dump on a target means nothing.

One thing to look for in the picture is the depth of penetration, the large wound channel depicted in the lighter red coloring is not significant because it depicts the temporary cavity in the ballistics gel which is not what would happen to real tissue. Real tissue is elastic so the temporary cavity would not be real damage but just the area that would be pushed a side as the bullet traverses the tissue. The tissue would rebound back into those areas. The smaller dark channel would be the actual wound channel.

Granted the heavier calibers do tend to do better through barriers.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts