Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Well, im getting rid of my SA 1911 and looking to get a 5" XD. I've got a XD 4" 9mm and love it, and the fact is, i just shoot a lot better with my XD than the 1911. Im going to GunSite in December, and want something comparable to my 1911 to go with. I know the .45 GAP is relatively new, but i was hoping some people out there have some hands on experience. Also, just the fact that it is so new makes me wonder if i should maybe wait for 2nd generation models to come out ?
Please any and all comments and opinions would be great.
Im looking to train with this for tactical and self defense purposes.

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think in the class and in real life you would be better servered by a higher capacity weapon. Not to mention the ammo cost of .45GAP :shock:

Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 45 GAP ammo is hard to find and is super expensive!!!

Ok, now that, thats out of the way I have a .40 and a .45 GAP. I am just in love shooting the GAP for some reason. I find it very accurate and I order my ammo off cheaper than dirt.com. If you can afford 12 to 13 bucks a box then go for it. I had second thoughts about the GAP after I bought it. Although, that went away the first time I shot it. I love shooting my .40 also and the ammo is a little cheaper. So it basically boils down to, Does any of your local shops carry the GAP ammo? Or do you mind ordering ammo off the internet? Its no big deal to me.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I have both calibers and models. The recoil difference is negligible between calibers when using PD type loads. The ammo price difference between the calbers is not significant enough to effect a purchase decision.
If you reload your ACP ammo you can use the same equipment for the GAP only having to make some adjustment for the length difference in the cartridge and use small pistol primers. Several companies offer the brass and the price is comparable to the ACP brass.
The capacity difference shouldn't be a factor in most any personal defense situation. Ten rounds is enough to bless five bad guys with two each. So unless you're a gang banger or subscribe to the "spray and pray" method of shooting, ten rounds should get you to safety.
So, IMO, the difference comes down to personal choice for a personal defense caliber. I carry a 8+1 capacity .45 caliber pistol because I subscribe in the "more wind blows through a bigger hole" train of thought. Most important is shot placement.
Happy shooting! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
Well, um where i live, .45 GAP isnt abundant on the shelves, however one of my local gun shops does have it to order and for a Federal 1000 round case it is only $250; which is the same price as comparable .45 ACP Federal 1000 round case. So i was kinda under the impression that ammo wasnt much more expensive, just a little harder to find. And i dont mind ordering in bulk, i actually prefer it cause i save a bit in the long run.
I am a firm believer that the Heavier the bullet, the more penetration, and when put in the right place, the better the chance to stop your target.

R Dub said that the recoil of .45 GAP was about the same as .40, does anyone else agree ? I have not shot a .40 myself, but it would be much easier to find and rent than the GAP. Also, might the capasity of the gap increase to say 11 in the future? Is there even room for that ?

Im not a very big guy, so i want to make sure i can really control what i have. Though the ACP never seemed too much for me, it just never felt right in my hands.

Also, are their different version of the GAP Tactical. Ive seen some reviews where they mention a Tactical LE while others just mention Tactical. Is there a difference ?

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If you have deep pockets get the GAP otherwise I would go with the .40S&W. Alot cheaper to shoot wider ammo selection and a well placed 40 round will kill just as fast as a well placed .45!

i shoot the GAP round and love it but i wish the rounds where cheaper! compare 20$ for 50 rounds of Remington 45GAP to 20$ for 100 rounds of .40S&W at wal mart! you can find some cheap GAP ammo on the net but unless you buy in bulk its not really worth it

·
Registered
83 Posts
As for the recoil, My 4 inch GAP and the 4 inch .40 are pretty close. My personal opinion, the GAP has a tad more but I'm sure if you shot the ACP round you can control the GAP round easily. IIRC, people have said the GAP round recoil is close to the +p ACP round. Can anyone confirm that? If you buy ammo in bulk or over the net I wouldnt hesitate to get it. I'm very happy with it.

Cheaper than dirt has Winchester White Box ammo for 13.50 a box (50) There may not be as many kinds of ammo out for the GAP like there is for the 9mm or .40, but I bet every kind of GAP round out will put someone down.

Edit to add: Tactical and Tactical LE are the same.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Dustin it depends on how heavy a bullet you shoot, the 230g GAP rounds are slower and have less energy because the bullet takes up more space in the case. but the lighter grain bullets are around the same as a .45+P there was a discussion about it on here or the ammo can i beleve

·
Registered
256 Posts
blefferd said:
i shoot the GAP round and love it but i wish the rounds where cheaper! compare 20$ for 50 rounds of Remington 45GAP to 20$ for 100 rounds of .40S&W at wal mart!
I wouldn't pay $20 a box for my GAP rounds! Even at Gander Mountan they were under $15

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
:evil: lol i dont care paying 20 bones for a box of rounds either but its that or wait 2 weeks for my ammo to come in :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AHHH i just want to buy them both! GRRR! I really dont know what im gogin to do.... why cant i be rich?

Anyone out there willing to give me some real decesive arguments for or against either one? I need someone to convice me to go one way or the other.

·
Registered
166 Posts
:lol: I was in the same boat as you when I bought my XD. I was torn between capacity vs. caliber, ammo price, tactical vs. service....I just wanted to get both, myself.

First, let me say, the only question you will NEVER get a definite answer to in this forum is "Which should I buy?" Some people will tell you they bought a weapon for some particular feature and others will tell you they DIDN'T buy it because of that same feature. Both weapons have their pluses and minuses. This is YOUR gun, though, and ultimately the only person who can really convince you is yourself.

I ultimately went with the XD 45LE Tactical model, and I love it! The only reason I don't recommend it to you is because I found it's what was right for ME, and since I don't know you or what you are really looking for, you have to make that decision yourself. Ammo is not THAT expensive, and I love the feel of it (not to mention my awesome shot groups). I know you had some questions about length and such, but just go down to your gun store and heft it, get the feel of it and judge for yourself. Sorry if that's not the answer you're looking for.....

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Is a "plus one" magazine base available for the GAP?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Aero the other option in the 40 that you don't get with the gap is the conversion barrel to 9mm or 357. I'm sure you know the 9 is alot cheaper than the gap, 40, and 357. I considered that in my decesion and went with the 40. Should have my 9mm barrel on thur. as long as no blizzards stop the truck traffic!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah yes, well the conversion barrell crossed my mind for a minute, but i already have a XD9 Service. So my only thought was that maybe in the future they would have conversion from 45GAP to .40S&W?

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Frenchy said:
Is a "plus one" magazine base available for the GAP?
The Pearce Plus 2 (9mm) extensions I have will not work with the new style mag springs without cutting the extension legs off the insert. This allows you to get 10 rds in the mag, but it will not lock in with the slide closed. You can use the old style mag spring and not have to modify the insert, but have the same result. So essentially you end up the same as just chargong the gun then topping off the 9rd mag.
Dawson's extension does not add capacity and don't know if they are working on one that will.

·
Registered
409 Posts
if you already have a 9, I'd go for the 45 gap, even though I'm a 40 fan..

the case head for the 40 woln't work with the 45 gap slide. (pardon if anyone said this allready)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh ok, well i wasnt sure if maybe in the future they will maybe find a way around that but... oh well.

Does anyone know what the 45 barrel is so thin? i mean isnt it? .... this couldnt have any negative effects right, i mean or else Springfield would have never released it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
GAP is going to die a slow death. i would without a doubt go with the .40. around here no one will take in a GAP on trade unless they give it to them for 20% of the purchase price as they cant move them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts