Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Wondering if all you guys could put together your minds to help round out a collection of pistols. I really don't have a purpose for the new gun, but I have one permit left, and I would like to use it before it expires (Jan 15th). I will have approximately $400 to spend (possibly a bit more, if the Xmas overtime comes through in enough time).

Just so you know, here are the specifics:

-I'm in NJ, a concealable or a Backup Gun would be for range use only, CCW isn't a legal option.
-No real restrictions as to caliber, if something looked good in .40SW, I would probably be drawn to it as my father has a .40 and we can share ammo.
-Surplus or Modern Pistols are OK as long as they are in the price range.
-Unique guns with history or weird ones would be OK too.
-I compete in USPSA style "practice?" matches at the range every few weeks. (Beginner - Production Class).

Here is the list of friends it would be joining:
-Walther P22
-Rock Island 1911 GI
-XD9 Service
-XD45 Compact Bi-Tone
-Taurus 608 .357 Revolver
-Russian Nagant

I have considered another Base Model 1911 for customizing, a used XD40, a used S+W police trade in, and a few others, but none seemed to really jump out at me as "Buy ME!" like the others have.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Call me old fashionm but I didn't see a 12 gauge in your collection. My suggestion would be a 12 gauge pump by Mossberg, Remington, or Wnchster.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, for the long winded question. I was specifically talking about pistols :eek: Don't get me started on the long arms. LOL :razz:

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
well since you cant carry it you are in total different situation from me. I am at a point i would mostly only want guns i can carry, i am interested in a sub compact 9mm like a kahr pm9 or a Rohrbaugh.

Since your gun would be purely for fun why not a 44 mag, or s &w 500 mag.

I know you cant get either for $400 but you said you have overtime comming, is it like $100 bucks or like $300.

Hopefully its like $300 and then you can get a used one, or save up a bit more.

Since its a fun gun range gun, i wouldnt get same ole, same ole if it was me.

Get radical.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
in that context SA=Single Action (think cowboy gun)
Exactly. I was thinking that a Ruger Single Six might be a good idea.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
How about a CZ?

Maybe a 75 or a RAMI...

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
How about a CZ?

Maybe a 75 or a RAMI...

Even better, get one of the Romanian TT-33 or Tokarovs that are showing up now... very similiar to the 1911 and the cost is about 250 or so shipped leaving a bit for ammo to shoot

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
If you like your Walther P22, consider the P99 in .40S&W... sweet shooting weapon. Is my daughter's favorite.

You are also missing a .44mag wheel gun... S&W Model 29 Classic (in 6.5" blued, known as the "Dirty Harry" gun).

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sweet. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I just found out today that the overtime will be at least $300 (maybe more depending on which paycheck it gets put into).. so that's good news for me! :D

I have nothing against Glocks, I know they are good reliable guns, but they just don't feel right to me, and I'm not too sure about a single action revolver, or if theres a cowboy competition around here. I forgot to add that Kel-Tec is out of the question due to a prior bad experiance.

I do like the tokarev, but the plan is that this will be the "last" handgun before I start saving for a house, so I think I'd like to go a bit on the larger scale.

The sig CPO in .40, or maybe the S+W .500 or .44 mag revolvers seem like viable options now :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Sweet. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I just found out today that the overtime will be at least $300 (maybe more depending on which paycheck it gets put into).. so that's good news for me! :D

I have nothing against Glocks, I know they are good reliable guns, but they just don't feel right to me, and I'm not too sure about a single action revolver, or if theres a cowboy competition around here. I forgot to add that Kel-Tec is out of the question due to a prior bad experiance.

I do like the tokarev, but the plan is that this will be the "last" handgun before I start saving for a house, so I think I'd like to go a bit on the larger scale.

The sig CPO in .40, or maybe the S+W .500 or .44 mag revolvers seem like viable options now :eek:

Since I was the first to suggest a Sig CPO, do I get a finders fee? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts