Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an AR my price range is under 700 wandering what help i could get seeing as i have never owned an AR and only shot one a couple of times. Academy has a Bushmaster Carbon 15 with Bushnell red dot and 2 mags for 699 and my local gun shop has a Smith&Wesson M&P sport 15 for 599 does anyone have any experience with either of these guns and does that sound like a fair price.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stay away from anything Armalite....I bought one about 4 months ago, the gas system continually causing the gun to jam. I sent back to them twice for the same thing finally sold it to gun shop down the road. never could get it fixed. waste of money. definately M&P is the way to go

·
Registered
892 Posts
I know this is more than what you want to spend, but I just bought a Bushmaster XM15 E2S and I am extremely happy with it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Stay away from anything Armalite....I bought one about 4 months ago, the gas system continually causing the gun to jam. I sent back to them twice for the same thing finally sold it to gun shop down the road. never could get it fixed. waste of money. definately M&P is the way to go
I have the same Armalite as the Il state police. Its the M15LEC. It has a few thousand rounds through it and has never once jammed. Its not a gas piston either. Just D.I. That really sucks that you've had problems with yours. I've always heard nothing but good about Armalites.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I know this is more than what you want to spend, but I just bought a Bushmaster XM15 E2S and I am extremely happy with it.

I would buy the S&W before I would get a Bushy. I certainly would not spend more for a Bushy.

The M&P Sport is the same concept as the DPMS sportical, a budget rifle with some features, such as the dust cover and forward assist, left off to save money.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just bought the dpms oracle which is one step above the sportical. Paid 730 for it. Also got a new sig illuminated 3x scope for 130. Works great for tactical and a third of the price of the aimpoint and e o techs. Shop around you can find some good deals on ARs.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
*SNIP*
The M&P Sport is the same concept as the DPMS sportical, a budget rifle with some features, such as the dust cover and forward assist, left off to save money.
I understand there would be a bit more milling for a dust cover but come on, it can't be that much. It looks odd without it.

I personally would not purchase any non-standard rifle.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 23 Posts