Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bushmaster, factory build gun. Until today, I have only fired .22LR through it with a CMMG conversion kit. It has cycled the 22LR flawlessly with a 50rd. Black Dog mag attached pulling the trigger as fast as I can.
I was able to take it to an outdoor range today, so I brought some .223 ammo. I put 50 rds. downrange, and had to manually cyle it every time. It never ejected a spent casing. When I pulled back the charging handle it was smooth and would eject the casing and load a new cartridge. But it would not do it on its own. I dropped in the 22 kit afterwards, and it worked flawlessly 150 rds.
The gas key is tight and lines up with the gas tube, the ejector pin moves freely back and forth and spring feels tight, nothing gummed up in there. The gas rings were not aligned at polar opposite, but far enough that the openings weren't all in a line. The gas tube and block are factory, and have never been replaced. I clean the gun thoroughly after shooting every time, and even though I have not used the .223 until today, I disassembled, and lubed the bolt assembly, and keep it stored in a ziploc with some CLP sprayed in it.
There is obviously enough gas getting through to cycle the 22LR conversion, but that spring is pretty weak. Could I have a misaligned gas block, or partially blocked tube? I am an AR newbie, so I might be way off. Has anybody else had this same experience, or the know how to diagnose my problem. Please, No Bushmaster bashing. I know its not a Colt. I would just like to hear from somebody who has had this problem, or can diagnose it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks to all for your time.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Your gas tube or gas port is probably fouled/plugged from shooting
the 22 kit.
+1 happened to a friend. Another reason for a dedicated, 22LR upper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 happened to a friend. Another reason for a dedicated, 22LR upper.
Thanks all for the replies. I guess from my research into the 22 kit I only heard that it was bad if you didn't use copper plated ammo. Which I did.

How did your friend fix his problem?

·
Registered
725 Posts
More likely fouled from the powder; as I understand it .22LR is a lot dirtier than .223/5.56. Very likely have to have the front sight block off to get to the hole in the barrel, and have the gas tube free anyway to clean it. I think they had trouble like that back when the M16 was first adopted and they issued ammo loaded with powder recovered from surplus WWII ammo. Confident taking off your front sight block? Gunsmith is probably your best option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If someone else can do it so can I. I have the gas block off the pins are completely undamaged and I can even reuse them. The gas port on the barrel was completely plugged, carbon seemed to be the culprit. I cleared that, and went on to the gas block. Put some compressed air on the tube thinking that would clear it, 100 psi. Nothing. Sprayed some powder blast let it soak tried again..... nothing. took some no. 12 copper ground wire ran it down, took it out measured, it went in all the way. ??????? took a 1/16th drill bit and poked around through the gas block opening into the tube, and it wouldn't go through anywhere. I can't imagine that the carbon is that hard because what was in the gas port was easy to clean. What are the odds that there was never a hole drilled in the tube? How big is it typically? the opening in the block is about 1/8 th inch. The port in the barrel is about 1/16th inch. This seems small. I am not an engineer though. I removed the roll pin to try to inspect, and the tube seems stuck tight. I am afraid if I do try to wrench it out, it will bend the tube, or be a nightmare to get back in. Would it hurt to drill through the opening in the block and into the tube? If so would it hurt to make it the same size or just a little smaller than the hole in the block? 1/8th inch. I would appreciate the advice. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
How does your .22 rf kit work? I'm assuming (dangerous word) that the conversion kit is recoil operated..BUT the stock gas tube remains in place while shooting .22 rf?

If sossss.....then, yeah, best answers already given by others before me. Your .22 rf ammo is leading then fouling up the bore, then the gas tube which gets stops up.

Solution...pull your gas tube and front site base and ream out the gas port and gas tube with a automotive engine block oil passage cleaning brush using lead remover and stuff.

FWIW we had the same problem years ago when using the M231 military conversion kit in our M16 rifles. The solution then is the solution now...no big deal. HB of CJ (old coot) (hundreds of builds and thousands of rebuilds, but years ago and nobody cares now anyway including me because it's ancient history and stuff sosss there!) :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does your .22 rf kit work? I'm assuming (dangerous word) that the conversion kit is recoil operated..BUT the stock gas tube remains in place while shooting .22 rf?

If sossss.....then, yeah, best answers already given by others before me. Your .22 rf ammo is leading then fouling up the bore, then the gas tube which gets stops up.

Solution...pull your gas tube and front site base and ream out the gas port and gas tube with a automotive engine block oil passage cleaning brush using lead remover and stuff.

FWIW we had the same problem years ago when using the M231 military conversion kit in our M16 rifles. The solution then is the solution now...no big deal. HB of CJ (old coot) (hundreds of builds and thousands of rebuilds, but years ago and nobody cares now anyway including me because it's ancient history and stuff sosss there!) :)
HB of CJ. Thanks for your reply. I think our posts crossed in transit. I was able to get the tube out of the block, and what I found was not encouraging. What is blocking the port in the tube is in fact lead. It has filled the entire 1/8th inch wide opening. That is why I thought there was no hole. I will post some pics later. This is a little unsettling, and makes me want to reconsider using the conversion kit at all. I love it though. Maybe I will only use it when I can run some 223 though it every 100 rds of 22LR. In any case she should be working fine after I get her back together. Is it O.K. to use the original taper pins to reinstall the block? They are in perfect shape.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
My replies in red

If someone else can do it so can I. I have the gas block off the pins are completely undamaged and I can even reuse them. The gas port on the barrel was completely plugged, carbon seemed to be the culprit. I cleared that, and went on to the gas block.

That would've cleaned the barrel gas port

Put some compressed air on the tube thinking that would clear it, 100 psi. Nothing.

Sprayed some powder blast let it soak tried again..... nothing. took some no. 12 copper ground wire ran it down, took it out measured, it went in all the way. ??????? took a 1/16th drill bit and poked around through the gas block opening into the tube, and it wouldn't go through anywhere. I can't imagine that the carbon is that hard because what was in the gas port was easy to clean. What are the odds that there was never a hole drilled in the tube? How big is it typically? the opening in the block is about 1/8 th inch. The port in the barrel is about 1/16th inch. This seems small. I am not an engineer though.

It's not small. The gas port hole will typically be less than .095" at most from a SBR Colt, and likely smaller than .085" on a 16" barrel.

I will only imagine that there is a hole drilled in the gas tube, and there is no way to put it together upside down because the other end would've never went into the upper receiver.

I removed the roll pin to try to inspect, and the tube seems stuck tight. I am afraid if I do try to wrench it out, it will bend the tube, or be a nightmare to get back in. Would it hurt to drill through the opening in the block and into the tube? If so would it hurt to make it the same size or just a little smaller than the hole in the block? 1/8th inch. I would appreciate the advice. Thanks

When you ran the copper electric wire down the tube all you did was essentially pack all that crap at the gas port hole.

Save yourself a lot of grief and just buy you a new gas tube.

You may also want to clean the barrel VERY well with copper and lead cleaner before firing .223/5.56.

Also, someone mentioned a dedicated upper, and that's what I did. For a dedicated upper, you have no need of having a gas port or a gas tube.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The pins can be reused. If you have the gas tube free, you can clean it, and as long as you can get the sight block clear you'll be ok. I'm really surprised that you would have lead, using jacketed .22s. The carbon doesn't surprise me though. If, indeed, someone had forgotten to put the hole in the sight block, you would have caught that immediately with 5.56. Glad to hear you're the kind that's willing to plow in and do it yourself; there aren't enough of us :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
You most certainly can install the gas tube upside down. Had a gunsmith (former Marine) do it to mine...rendering it a single-shot.

IHS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This was definitely not upside down, just packed with lead from the 22lr kit. Has anybody been using one of these kits for awhile without issue? Is your maintenance routine as described by others, just running some 5.56 through every so many rds.????? If you have used one of these kits for a while, and have had no issue, please post what your individual maintenance routine is. Thanks to all for replies so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New gas block and tube coming soon. I got the other clean, but don't want any small deposits to make there way through to the carrier, so just to be safe I am getting new. Anybody have issue with clampstyle, or screw set blocks. There just has to be a better way than beating the crap out of your barrel.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
You most certainly can install the gas tube upside down. Had a gunsmith (former Marine) do it to mine...rendering it a single-shot.

IHS
Can you explain how they got the other (wrong) end of the gas tube through the delta ring and into the reciever and the top handguard back on it?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't really fit upside down, but Cletus could probably force it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm curios ... how many rounds of .22 did you run thru it before trying .223?
OHHHHHHHH............7 or 800ish...... I know... Thats bad. I go to an indoor range to shoot my XD 9mm alot, and they will only allow handgun caliber carbines, so I would shoot the kit there. I did not get a chance to go to the outdoor range until last week to try the .223. This is a pic of how bad the tube was.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts