Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say thank you to all who frequent this forum. Your posts have been very helpful to me. Though I've never posted, I've been reading here for the past couple months while trying to decide on my first pistol purchase. I'm an avid shooter of long guns and have been waiting on my tax returns so I can finally get my first pistol. I had a year long range membership in which I got to try out many different pistols before deciding. I shot many glocks, sigs, taurus, s&w's, springfields, witness', cz's, rugers. My criteria for deciding on my purchase was based on several criteria:
1) reliability/warranty/cust service- I want it to go bang year after year with reasonable maintainence and I want the company to back their product
2) fiancee- she loves to shoot long guns and will be sharing whatever I choose with me.
3) price- always a consideration on a teacher's salary
4) looks- don't want a pig, but don't need a Rembrandt

I will be using the pistol for indoor and outdoor plinking mostly though it will serve as a backup defense gun to my Rem870 until I buy myself a .40 XD or perhaps a different .45ACP. It will not be a carry piece.

Based on my experience trying out different models and slowly weening down the options, I've decided to go with an XD. 9mm is my choice for caliber because a) is capable of being an effective defensive round b) is cheap and available everywhere c) will be easier for my sweetheart to control than the .40/.357/.45GAP.

Now I'm trying to decide between the 5" tactical or 4" service (I have shot both and found very little difference in how they handle). I know the accuracy difference is small over very short ranges and only slightly significant at 25yds. I'm assuming the 5" recoils slightly less because of the weight, which would be a plus for my fiancee, as would the increased confidence at the range with more accuracy. So I'm leaning towards the 5".
MY MAIN QUESTION IS THIS: Does anyone have an opinion on which is more reliable between the 4 and 5 inchers? Most of the problems I've read about regarding XD's have to do with the .40, not the 9mm. So, in 9mm, is the 4 or 5 inch more reliable? The same? Any opinion would be appreciated as I'd like to order one tomorrw or the next day. Thanks for reading this far, and thanks for helping me make my final decision! I can't reallly go wrong either way, just was looking for your input. thanks, nocalkind

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm not aware of any reliablity proplems concerning the length of the XD (4" vs 5").

If it's not for carry, go with the 5". You're right. The increased weight (especially at the front) will help to reduce the recoil compared to the 4".

I have the 4" and the recoil is certainly manageable, expecially with my Don's guide rod and 22# Wolff spring. But I suspect that the 5" would be that much better.

Good luck. You can't make a bad choice either way!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lumberjack. Any other thoughts from other members regarding reliability between 4" and 5" xd-9's?

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's a toss up between the 4" and 5" Models. Either one will serve you well, but if you aren't going to carry it concealed then get the 5".

.40 or 9mm? I love my 357 Sig, but I'm able to get multiple shots on target better with 9mm than .357 Sig or .40.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Get the XD-9 4" service. It is versatile, reliable and a good carry gun. I own a CZ-75B in 9mm and I shoot it better then the XD, but I can get the XD into action faster then the CZ due to shorter barrel. I also got a XD-9 Tactical but only to shoot in competitions or time of war/civil unrest.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Lumberjack98 said:
I'm not aware of any reliablity proplems concerning the length of the XD (4" vs 5").

If it's not for carry, go with the 5". You're right. The increased weight (especially at the front) will help to reduce the recoil compared to the 4".

I have the 4" and the recoil is certainly manageable, expecially with my Don's guide rod and 22# Wolff spring. But I suspect that the 5" would be that much better.

Good luck. You can't make a bad choice either way!!
I find the recoil on the XD-9 5" Tactical to be more pronounced due to the longer slide. It throws the center of gravity off a bit from the original design. I use #20 springs and Don's rod in my XD-9 4" Service, works fine. Just my personall opinion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
manygunner,
Thanks for your responses. As I stated before, I'm not going to be using this gun for carry purposes. I think I know what you mean about the longer and heavier slide slamming back harder than the 4" model, but isn't it still less overall kick than the 4"? It seems like the 5" slide might "push" or "shove" back harder but the 4" model would be more "snappy" and "kick" more up into the air because of the shorter barrel. I'm trying to pick the easier of the two models for my fiancee to handle and common sense says that the 5" model will absorb more recoil than the 4". Am I wrong here? What do others think? thanks again, nocalkind

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
From what I have to base my experience on, I don't see much advantage either way. Theoretically the 5 inch barrel tactical should be more accurate, but because of the superior XD design, I can't tell any difference between the two.

Since my 4 inch is ported, I can't be a good judge in the "recoil" department. I do find the 5 inch Tactical to have a bit more muzzle flip, but not enough to be a big distraction.

I like your caliber choice though. 9mm is just about universal and available everywhere. 4" Service or 5" Tactical, it's a toss up, but either way you can't lose. To confuse you even more, that Sub Compact isn't bad either. :lol:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
My wife has no problem with the recoil in either the 4" or the 5", she just does not like the trigger. I find the recoil quite manageable in either case, I am told I am a rock solid shooter, I would not know, I do not get the chance to watch myself. I think either choice should be fine. My wife shoots a CZ-85 Combat 9mm and that has much more kick to it. It is just a matter of getting used to it. Start slow, 9mm is a good caliber choice, and buildd it up from there with practice. If she does not like it it may be due to personal preference, may need to look for her ideal gun (I know that is a hard road, been there with my wife). Guns are very personal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man. any other takes on the recoil/accuracy/reliability issue? Do others find the 5" to have MORE mussle flip? Which will be better for my lady? buy this is not an easy decision...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 5inch Tactical model in 40S&W. This is my first gun to ever shoot or own (I just turned 21). I also have a fiancee and she also has no problems shooting it either, and she's small (5'1'') Lol. I find it very comforitable as far as recoil/muzzelflip goes.

Congratulations on the fiancee also!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I havn't had any "problems" with it either, if what you are concerned about is the gun jamming (FTF) aka: fault to fire (function) Do not use cheap ammunition at all, not even once, not even because its very very cheap.

good luck! :D

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
OK lemme tell ya my $.02
My first XD was a .40 service. I did the usual limp wristing break- in shots....just because I thought it'd have a gnarly recoil on it. Know what I mean? Kinda bein hesitant and anticipating it way too much. The XD fit so much better than what I was used to that it was easy to get used to.
I bought my first 9mm only a month or so ago in the service model....sure nuf did the same thing. Took it outta the box, aimed and anticipated a "big bang" way too much.....my shots were way off. However.....after only maybe 5 shots....started makin nice small groups(2-3"ish) at say 10-15 yards. Then it was mag full after mag full. RIGHT OUTTA THE BOX!! (I installed a new spring/rod combo though)
Now I shoot my .40 better. I'm not sure why...maybe cuz I've shot twice as many rounds than usual....since the price won't take too much dough.
I'd say 9mm would be a good pick of the bunch...more practice time= better shots........and a lot more time at the range since you can afford to shoot. Which leads to more fun!
BTW....You'll like the XD no matter what platform ya decide!
Git R Done!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys. My order is on the way! 9mm Tactical for $525 out the door (includes tax and $25 CA registration fee). Should be here next week then I get to start the 10 day waiting period. Can't wait...I'll let you know my first impressions after I get it out to shoot in a couple weeks from now. nocalkind

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. I like the looks of the Tactical, but since I was buying mine as a carry piece, I went with the Service model in .40 S&W. My little wife doesn't enjoy shooting it. The .40 has a snappier recoil than she likes. I think if I get another, I'd get a Tactical, either in 45 GAP or 40 S&W.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts