Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is a great forum. I'm new to handguns, but I have experience with rifles and shotguns.
I fell in love with the XD, and I finally got permission to buy one from the wife.
Here's where you're killing me - Just when I'm sure I'll get the .40 S&W, somebody posts a positive thread on the GAP, which is what I really want - a flying manhole cover coming out the muzzle.
I think I'm like everyone else, and am hesitant about the future of the GAP round.
Snake-eater posted a .45 GAP thread that shows other manufacturers coming on board, so I'm going out to get a .45 GAP XD, and I don't care about service, or tactical - whatever is available.
So to sum it up - thanks for killing me on this. I look forward to conversing with you guys in the future!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
RonnieB said:
Here's where you're killing me - Just when I'm sure I'll get the .40 S&W, somebody posts a positive thread on the GAP, which is what I really want - a flying manhole cover coming out the muzzle.
e!
It is not quite that big!
Exspensive to shoot!
You have lots of KNOCK DOWN power eith the .45

·
Registered
657 Posts
I’m pleased with my 40 ill bet you the 40 will stop someone just as good as the 45 GAP and cost a lot less, that being said I’m sure if someone was attacking you and you pulled any kind of a pistol on them they would be hesitant then there are those few that aren’t…

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
BeardXXXd said:
therooster said:
i think the .45 GAP will catch on, and in a few years every manufacturer will have a .45 GAP in production.
ya it will catch on..
all the guys with the littlest penis's will have the "big" bullet..

LOL......maybe so.

But as has been said (I forgot who, maybe Old School, or AJames), this round could possibly be the cure for those who like the 1911 platform but want a more concealable carry weapon in .45

Thanks in large part to Brickboy, when I was considering getting a 1911, (maybe because of my small penis...LOL :lol: ) he had given me quite a list of internet forums and other sources so I could educate myself about the current state of the 1911 .....I had a Colt .45 about 20 years ago and it was incredibly unreliable, so I only kept it a very short time ...I was lucky and had gotten it in a trade with a friend who had no problem taking it back.

What I learned (recently) ....or at least the impression I got was that most of the problems encountered with the 1911s of today are with the smaller guns...the "Commanders", "Officers", "Ultra Compacts", etc...(differerent brands use some different names...but anything smaller than the 5" barrel).

If the GAP round is more reliable in a compact version of the 1911 frame, it could be a major winner in sales for Springfield and anyone else who jumps on the bandwagon.

It seems obvious to me that there are many 1911 enthusiasts who would like to carry such a gun as SA's "Micro Compact" 1911, but don't because they do have questionable reliability. Or at least there is a perception of questionable reliability by the gun buying public.

And of course as a carry gun, reliability means everything. As a range gun...well a hiccup here and there won't be life threatening.

But as a range gun, why not just get a reliable full size "Government" model (5")? I have my SA "Loaded" full size and it's been 100% perfect with every kind of round I've fed into it. But for me, and for most CCW guys, the gun is just too big and heavy to carry and conceal. It is strictly a range gun for me, and always will be.

A light weight and smaller 1911 that was as reliable as any other GAP gun now made (Glock and Springfield) would be very appealing to a lot of CCW permit holders as a carry weapon.

Of course time will tell. But I do see enormous potential for this platform.

Oh, and Beard....I drive a tiny car, so really my "endowment" level is OK as far as I know. I should "balance out"...Big bore pistol, little car....(At least I've never had any complaints). One of my lady friends says "small penis" every time she sees someone driving a Hummer. But she's seen (and even last weekend actually SHOT) my 1911. She made no such comment...(with me, she doesn't have to make any assumptions....). She did like shooting my 8" Ruger .22 caliber. No real surprise there! LOL. (I wonder if she would have liked it as much if it had a tapered barrel rather than the thick bull barrel... :lol: :lol: )

As much as I love my XD Sub, if I could have a "micro compact" size 1911 GAP, I would give serious consideration to such a gun as a carry weapon in lieu of the XD9 Sub....(although I do like shooting that gun a lot, and it sure is less expensive to practice with).

As an aside, I wonder why they make the 1911 in 9mm only in full size? Now that I think about it, I wonder why I don't recall anyone asking this before.... :?: :?: I guess it must have been asked, but I just missed it. Any answers on that? Anyone?

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Para Ordnance is comming out with a 3 inch barreled 1911 in 45 GAP the mag says it was at the Shot Show but I didnt see it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, the .45 Gap will catch on. Just like the .41AE & .41 mag. It'll never catch up to the .45acp, .40S&W, or 9mm. Ammo will probably be available for a long time but you're gonna pay alot for it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
ElrodCod said:
Yeah, the .45 Gap will catch on. Just like the .41AE & .41 mag. It'll never catch up to the .45acp, .40S&W, or 9mm. Ammo will probably be available for a long time but you're gonna pay alot for it.
Strange, I remember this was said about the 40 S&W when it first came out :)
Either way, it's just another .45 caliber round that just so happens to fit inside a smaller .40/9mm frame. Same performance as the .45ACP but in a smaller package. (hmm, almost sounds like the old arguement when 1911's started coming out in compact models too)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I just read the G&A review of the new micro springfield. This may be something interesting...

I like the 1911 frame and function. For someone who is used to the controls, this may be just the ticket for a small compact 1911 that is 100% reliable.

I'll keep my mind open.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ronnie if money is at all a concern I would seriously think about purcasing the 9mm XD over the .45. 9mm ammo is on average half the price of .45 GAP depending on how much you shoot ,you could be looking at a huge price difference in the shooting relatated costs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Para Ordnance is comming out with a 3 inch barreled 1911 in 45 GAP the mag says it was at the Shot Show but I didnt see it.
I got to see it after the show. The slightly smaller grip fit my wife's hand perfectly. A sweet looking package!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. I've been accused of being a big penis before, but never of having a little one (but then again, I'm a real man, and I just don't care...) :twisted:
I've been told to buy the largest round I am comfortable with. I like shooting the .45 GAP round better than the .40 S&W (is that odd??). I also like the kinetic energy that a .45 puts out (K.E. = 1/2mv**2), so being able to go up to 230 grains, with a high fps may mean that even though (God forbid), if I ever have to put my sights on a human, even if I don't hit in a real vital spot, I put a real big hole in it. This gun won't be seeing 65 gajillion rounds go through it: it'll go to the range on as many occassions as I can muster up, it will be a very limited CCW, and for home defense, it will be used by me to fight my way to the shotgun.
I rented a couple Glocks, a Taurus, and a couple S&W models, and I picked the SA XD for a couple reasons:
1)I am an engineer with one of the Big 3, and I'd like my money to go to a company that may employ people who may buy what I design - spend it where I make it.
2) XD feels very nice in my hand. The S&W was uncomfortable length-wise (a 1911 model), the Taurus felt too slippery. I liked the Glocks - alot, but I think it was a model 37 that was too short in the grip, and I just couldn't violate reason #1

I may still go with a .40, as I am not dead set on getting the .45 - until tomorrow that is...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go with your gut. I'm sure that if you ever change your mind you will have no problem finding a new home for it around these parts!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts