Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Steve from Philadelphia here. I am 21 Jan-7th and I am going to be buying my first handgun and applying for my LTC.

A little history: I have been shooting with pops since I was 13. I have shot at the Philadelphia Police Depatment a few times(my friends dad is a head trainer at there gun range). I am a member of the NRA.

Oo0oK soo, I have been researching for the past year about what gun I want to buy. I have shot the Glock 26, 19, 23, 27, the Para Wart hawg 9, a Para .45 acp 1911, Taurus pt111, a Python 357 mag, ect. . .

I have not shot the XD subcompact, but oddly that is the one I want most! I am going to test it once i am 21. I know I will like it. So as of now I am buying a XD subcompact in 2 weeks.

Questions for you all: I am looking at the 9mm. How is the recoil and feel of the .40cal on this small frame. I know the GLock 27 was a beast.

How is the XD Paddle holster?

Also, can anyone post pics of there XD subcompact (two tone if you have it. Thats what I am looking at), and hold it in there hand, so I can see how it fits. I know its like the glock 26.

Thanks guys a lot!!!! I cant wait to get mine. Any other info you can pass onto me is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey buddy, welcome to LTC/CCW and XD Talk.

I'm on the run right now so I don't have time to take a pic, but I'm sure someone here will post one for you asap.

The .40sc is quite snappy, but not a problem at all as long as you have a good grip. To give you an idea, I think the recoil on my kel tec .380 is much worse because there's no weight to it. I could shoot the .40sc all day. I continue to be impressed with how accurate I am with this gun.

It's a great, rugged choice for ccw. Check out a supertuck holster, they were made for each other.

-Best of luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
I stick w/9mm in my handguns because I can afford more of it and therefore can train more. It is less snappy than .40, of course, so shots two through four will be faster and more tightly grouped. If I were going to go up in caliber, I'd go straight to .45. Also, while I'm not too worried about the end of the world, should things get tough, I suspect 9mm will be easier to find. JMHO.

Just curious, how hard is it to get a license to carry in Philly?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. I hope to get a subcompact 9, too. I already have 2 XD'd and I feel like that just isn't enough :twisted:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the welcomes.

I really like this gun. Its trigger and grip safty, its size, its look, its track record, ect. . . .
I am more or less going to get the 9mm over .40cal.

I have the cash set aside, now i just have to play the waiting game!:(

Anyone from PA near Philly, we should set up a gunrange trip either in philly, chester, or bucks county early next year.
Id like to meet all my fellow XD lovers.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
This is one of my 9mm SCs
Sometimes I have my pinky just on the grip, sometimes curled under the mag. The grip is a bit longer than the glock. I have large hands.
If you get it you will be surprised how accurate they are, everyone else is :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is one of my 9mm SCs
Sometimes I have my pinky just on the grip, sometimes curled under the mag. The grip is a bit longer than the glock. I have large hands.
If you get it you will be surprised how accurate they are, everyone else is :mrgreen:

Exactly what I wanted to see! Thanks A LOT!!

Well my mind is made up. In less than two weeks time, I will be a XD owner:mrgreen:

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
No prob, welcome to the fams :mrgreen:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have never had the XD40sc, But I have owned the XD9sc once. It was a fine shooting pistol and I always used a Ankle Holster with it. There was only one thing I did not like about it. I dont know if they chaged it or not, But it might be worth looking into. Mine was a blued model and after about 4 months the slide started rusting near the front sight. I called Springfield and they said no problem, Ship us the whole upper ( slide assembly and barrel ) and they would refinish it. I asked what kinda of turn around time are we looking at and she said no more than 2 weeks. Well, After 3 MONTHS and I dont know how many calls I finally got it back. I looked good and it was a different finish than the stock bluing but I was so pissed that it took so long, I just sold the gun, Now, Would I ever own another XD9sc??? YES, but I would get it with the stainless slide, Unless they went to using the Melonite in the SC's. I would personally get the 9mm, Just like armed_flyfisher said, Ammo is cheaper and that means MORE time at the range. Welcome and be safe, Dave

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome !!

I just got my 9mm sc this past Thanksgiving week and I have been to the range twice so far with it . it is a great gun I think you will enjoy it.

Badhammer

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been using mine for CCW for about two years now and love it. Welcome.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Welocme from Indiana. As for the 9mm vs .40. I do not find the .40 to be snappy at all, for quick follow up shots. You have to find what best suites you.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
As far as I know all XDs have been Melonite since the 45s came out.

As far as 9mm vs 40 in the SC? The shorter barrel obviously looses some velocity compared to the standard length, I feel the increased energy of the 40S&W compensates, so that the 40 in the SC is probably as effective as the 9mm in the Service barrel. If I had it to do over again I would at least try shooting a 40SC somewhere to check out the snappyness of it over the 9mm, if you don't mind the 40 get it over the 9mm.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Welcome from Oregon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts