Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello XD owners. Ive been reading your forum for some time now, and figured that I better register and get some responses from you.

Im looking to buy a firearm for future concealed carry. My choice is down to two models. One is the XD9-SC, and the other is a Glock 26. I understand that the Tenifer finish is a plus for Glock. And that parts for XD isnt as easy to get. Nor such things as trigger modifications.

I dont really mind not being able to easily swap out to a better trigger action. And Ive never really suffered with rust on my past ownership of various revolvers. Nor have I owned any firearms that needed replacement of parts after I fired them 1000s of times.

as far as point of aim is conserned. Ive carried revolvers all my life. Like my S&W 686 2 1/2". So when Ive handled both models at my local gunshop...Both seemed to point natural to me.

Ive got fairly small hands for a man. I do notice that the G-26,(even tho I have small hands)only allows for my middle and ring finger...the pinky hangs useless underneath. And on the XD all fit quite well with the standard 12 rd. mag.

This brings me to the choice of magazines. Im wanting to keep them as small in size as possible. So a +0 mag extension isnt an option since it does increase the length of the grip. The G-26 comes with 10 rd. mags. And the XC9-SC comes with 12 rd. mags.

So in short, if you were my salesman...Yes, my salesman just said both are very good, reliable and high sellers. But that was all they had to say. What could you say to pursuade me to become the proud owner of an XD9-SC over a G-26?

I dont plan on reloading at this time...If and when I do. It will be like when I reloaded for my S&W 686. One round at a time. When I reloaded, it was the enjoyment of producing a quality round patiently...not a 1000 to save on the checkbook. So to me, the reloading side is more of a hobby, like tieing flies or making models.

I also plan on painting the firearm myself using dura coat. Maybe a desert sand colored frame and black slide. This will be later on of course. But a future plan Ive been thinking about.

Most of you seem quite pleasent in your responses. Im new to XD/Glock. Only shot one Glock in my life, and that was back in 1997. And it was a G-26. I liked it, but Im willing to try the younger "dawg" out.

Ive bought and read many times over The gun digest book of the Glock by Patrick Sweeney. And its helped on questions of the Glock. Wished I could say the same for XD, but its just too new to have someone publish an honest book on said firearms. And magazines seem like they care too much about profit to print honestly....this is why i come to you. The users of both types of firearms in question.

Im thinking of making a post on a Glock forum to see their response also. So please try to show me your sales skills to a interested future buyer.

Thankyou for you time.

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been here for a while asking questions myself. Getting lots of help from these guys. I myself handled the sub compact at a gun shop last week. I really liked it, but the more I thought about I decided to go with a 4" Service model possibly in bi-tone. The reason being is the grip issue. I have pretty small hands myself and my pinky wouldn't fit on the grip of the SC. I would have to use one of those mag extender-thingies and that would make it as tall as a service model - nullifying any size advantage. Sure the barrell is shorter but the extra inch will help with accuracy. Don't get me wrong I think the SC is ultra-cool. I'll handle them more and more until my gun permit comes in during December - yeah, NJ is a real beyatch - so my final decision is a ways off....

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But you see....with me, the grip of the XD9-SC fits pertect. Ive got plenty of space for all fingers on it, with the original factory 12 rd. mags. Its the G-26 that is on the small size for the grip. :wink: Glad to see yer reply to this tho. Was gettin worried no one would drop in and say "Hi", heh.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I don't know about Glocks warranty but the one thing I will say that SA guns have for them is the LIFETIME warranty. . . which is pretty nice especially if you buy it used.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I worked my way through college as a salesperson, and they way we were taught to sell things to customers, and they way you should look at it is this is ...
Don't think about the features of each gun, think about the BENEFITS. That is to say this...

The xd has a grip safety, the benefit of this is that there is an extra layer of safety to prevent accidental discharges.

The xd has a 12 rd mag, the benefit of this is that I have more ammo to fire with out reloading, and in some certain situations this is good :)

The glock as a better finish on it, the benefit is that it will not (should not?) rust.

I never tried to convince a customer what to get, because everyone is different. I would just try to point out the positives and negatives and let them make up their mind!

On a personal note, I think the Glocks are fine firearms, but they never seem to fit my hand very well. That's why I chose the XD, and I'm glad I did.

Aaron

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
My first pistol was a XD-9SC and I really liked it. I have a short fat hand so I had to put the Pearce grip extender on it. It felt great in my hand after that.

I chose to change to a XD-40 Service because concealability wasn't as big a factor as I thought it might be and I wanted the extra punch of the .40 cal round.

As far as the finish goes, I have only noticed one small patch of rust ever and that was after a 2 week break from shooting. I cleaned it off with nothing more than Break-Free and a rag and haven't had any more problems.

If the finish is your main concern, go with a bi-tone.

For XDs in general though, I love them. They are dependable, accurate (more than I am), feel great in the hand and are as safe as can be without unloading it and locking it in a safe.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You said you had shot the Glock before, but have you shot a XD? I know at the ranges around here it's almost impossible to find a SC to rent, but you should at least try to find a service to try before making your decision. If possible, try shooting a XD and a Glock side by side. One of the main selling points for me was the grip. I also have small hands and the XD just pointed better, fit my hand better and felt more controllable than the Glock. It field strips just as quickly and easily as my friend's Sig. I also like having the 2 safeties. The XD has a fully supported chamber, the Glock does not. Also, I agree with GSH341, if finish is a concern at all, get the bitone. I have the bitone .40 service and have never had a problem with it. Both are good, reliable weapons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies...Im not really worried about rust. If I dont have worries with my garrand or 30-40 kraig, I doubt ill ever have worries about it on a sidearm. But I do plan on dura coating whichever I buy in the future anyways. Just to add some uniqueness to it. So Id end up just buying the standard finish in whatever I bought.

Id test an XD out, but here in Enid, Ok...its just not available to do. I could drive a few hours outta my way to try, but Im betting that it wouldnt matter much. In the service, I wasnt fond of Berrettas. But I adjusted quite well.

The more and more that I think about it. The more I feel Ill end up with an XD. I forgot to put down the grip safety and fully supported chambers in my positive list for XD's. *jots it down on list* :wink: And it sounds like the shops that you send your "babies" to....Treats them quite well and gets them returned to you in remarkable times.

I was going to post the same to a glock forum....changed my mind when I noticed the responces someone else got for just the same thing. So it seems that too many of them there had "Glock Perfection" on the brain while they posted.

Dont get me wrong, The G-26 I shot in 1997 was my brothers. And he carries it daily, without any problems as of yet.

The price also has me leaning towards XD. At my local shop, I can get an XD9-SC with the holster(which I wont be using), 2 12-rd. mags, 2 15-rd. mags for about 480 dollars. Compared to a G-26 with 2 10-rd. mags and thats it....for around 600. The same G-26 in 1997 my bro. bought for 420 clams!!!

Anyways, thanks again for yer input.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi ganesh,

You'll love the XD-SC. Here's a link to Gilbert's Guns - I bought my SC from them earlier this year. They have great service, and I see that they're running a super deal on the SC with Tac-light, holster, extended mag and 2 standard mags.

https://www.gilbertsguns.com/store/products/category8/index.html

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I've never had an issue with rust on my Service model, or my SC for that matter... just stick to the basics with a good wipe down and light coat of oil after use. I typically use Blazer Brass in both guns, or CCI Blazer, and never have I had an FTE or FTF.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ganesh, just so you know, H&H gun range here in the city has XD's for rent, 9, 40 & 357 service, but no SC's. Just in case you can get up this way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The one thing the XD has over the Glock is the grip safety. People have had NDs going into their legs when holstering a Glock because the trigger caught on something. Grip safeties, if released when holstered, prevent this.

As far as magazines go; If I were to CCW the SC I would load it with a 12 round mag and keep 2 16 round mags on my belt. That way the gun is still concealable and if you need it there will be extended mags ready for use.

XDs have lifetime warrentees. Mine was having FTEs and had a scratch on the slide so I sent it in and they tweaked the ejector and refinished the slide for free. Gotta love that.

I’ve shot both guns you’re looking at and have come to the conclusion that I would choose the XD SC because of the grip safety.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The XD SC can also be easily modified with the Pearce grip extension which fits on the magazine baseplate for a more full sized grip...On the other hand, I believe American Arms makes an excellent .22 LR conversion for the Glock, including their baby Glocks as I recall. I shot one at the range, and it was very cool. Unfortunately, there is no .22 conversion for the XD todate.

The Glock and XD compacts are very reliable (I have the XD9 SC) so you will be in good shape no matter which you get. I am concerned, however, about the accidental discharges with the Glocks, especially with trying to reholster the weapon. The grip safety on the XD will reduce the likely hood of this happening.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh I just noticed that "Gun Tests" a subscription only magazine has a anual buying guide for 2005; they in fact ran a head to head comparison between the XD9 SC and the Glock 26 (and the Kahr P9). The Glock has a .40 inch longer barrel and longer dimensions and consistently had a higher resulting velocity (about 50 ft/sec depending on the ammo). They thought the XD was faster handling and had better proportions than the Glock, but the XD is heavier by 5 ounces so the Glock may be a better carry weapon for that reason only. They Kahr was downrated due to the heavy trigger and difficult to change magazines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good info. And pat3332, I may have to drive on down to OKC to test one out. Only about 90 or so miles to OKC from here. Also, I dont think the little extra weight will be much of a factor. My S&W 686 2 1/2" had to be at least twice the weight of a XD-9SC, and it never bothered me to carry it. :wink: Of course it always seemed hefty enough that if I couldnt shoot it,..... throwing it at my assailant would have been the next best option. :p

·
Registered
208 Posts
The XD's in my area are 100 dollars cheaper then glocks. The grip is comparable to a 1911 (the most famed gun in the American Market), it has added safety features. The XD doesnt Kaboom in .40. The bad finishes are maybe 10% of all weapons, and is easily fixed with just normal maitenence. Mine had numerous scratches and no rust. You get the lifetime warrenty. You can interchange the barrels anytime you like.

Not to mention you noticed the apparent 'glock perfection' on the glock forums. Glock is a nice gun, however owners of them in my opinion believe it to be the end all not realizing the gun isnt for everyone. There are many Glock vs XD reviews on the web. What is boils down to is reliablilty and comfort. Most shooters, in my experience find the XD to be more comfortable. The reliablitliy is still going since the glock has been around longer then the XD. However, I carry an XD for CCW, not a glock, S&W, or anything else. That is the true testiment of confidence in a gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts