Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't own an XD yet, but it's in the works. I love my Springfield 1911 full size, but in wanting something smaller I went to a Taurus PT145. Needless to say, I'm not happy with it. Many folks swear by it, it might just be me-but I can't shoot it worth a you-know-what. It might be the straight eights, it might just be me. I consistantly shoot it low, and after trying to re-teach myself to shoot I have just decided that I'm old school. I need the sight picture I get with my 1911. I'm hoping that the Xd can deliver that. I plan to rent one at the range next week and give her a go. If all works out...I'll get on board. One question though, what's the difference between the xd45 compact and the xd45 service? They both have a 4" barrel correct? I also think they both come with the xd gear package for now right?

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana! Yes they both have a 4" barrel but the compact you can us a high capacity mag with a mag spacer or the low capacity shorter mag for better concealment.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome from CT.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome to the forums from VA

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Yeah Indy's correct The compact and the service have 4" barrels but the compact has a chopped grip the service has a full length grip. That's the difference. I should mention that the compact also has what's called a grip sleeve on a full length mag so you get the best of both worlds a 10 rd. compact grip for concealment and full length 13rd. service mag for more grip.

·
Premium Member
127,080 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
kstarheel, to anser your question the only differance is that the compact grip is 3/4 inch shorter and can use either a 10 round mag or a 13 round man. The shorter grip with the 10 round mag lets it be concealed better. Use the long mag for times when you need the extra firepower,

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Welcome from MI

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do these XD's use a 6 o'clock sight picture, like the 1911? I'm hitting the range tomorrow on a rental, and guess I'll find out for myself. Just curious. I'm not Taurus bashing..but I just can't hit where I want with that thing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome from Topeka! Enjoy the forums.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Hey feller, welcome from Nashville!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome from FL