Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great site, just came across it while I was researching information on XD's.
Have several long guns and am now purchasing my first handgun. Have already signed up for a carry permit and will be taking a carry/safety course along with range training/shooting this spring.
I do have a question. I see they have the XD-m out now and I am wondering if the features of the XD-M justify the extra cost of the pistol over the standard XD? Having never owned a handgun before do you think they would be beneficial to a new owner?
Finally, I have not decided on a caliber yet and would love to hear thoughts on 9mm vs .40 vs.45
I know that's a lot of questions from the new guy but I would appreciate any info from the people in the know.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota. The regular XD line of combat pistols are outstanding weapons. I carry a XD9 service and love it. The XD-m is a little larger most have said that it still conceals well.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Welcome, from West Des Moines. I grew up on the 'east coast' of Iowa.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. I made my choice on the cost of ammo. I wanted to be able to shoot almost every weekend so I went with the 9mm.

·
Premium Member
127,757 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mike.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Welcome from Des Moines!

Not sure the answer to your question. I love my XD9 but it has had a bit of work done to it by Canyon Creek. I suppose if you don't want to have work done, the XDM would be the way to go.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome to the forum from IL.

When I bought my first handgun (the Sig in my signature), I chose a 9mm primarily because I wanted something I could shoot and practice with cheaply while still being able to use it for defense.. I figured I would shoot more often if I could AFFORD to shoot more often. You can get some good defensive ammo in 9mm. :D

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Nashville

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I saw Iowa once on TV and they lost :rolleyes: although their black uniforms are cool. Where is Iowa again? :razz:
Asking a gun forum about which first gun to buy or ammo suggestions is like asking someone from SC to recommend a church.
I'd suggest a 9mm for your first gun and preferably a compact or sub compact model if you plan to conceal carry daily. Notice I said first gun.
I have the 9mm service model and it's not really an everyday carry gun as the grip is too long. The grip is more relevant than the barrell length for concealment. There is good self defense ammo available to defend yourself if required.
The 9 has a very manageable recoil which will help improve your shooting skills and with 9 ammo being more affordable you can probably spend more time at the range.
Then you have so many options. The XDM or XD45C which is what I have.
Remember it's just my view and others will have theirs w/great reasons.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome from Dallas. 9mm is a good place to start in either the XD or XDM, both are great guns.​

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Welcome from Colo.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Welcome and happy shooting from Chicago burbs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts