Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick hello from a Canadian newbie! I dont own anything from Springfield yet,hoping to purchase a new XDm40 bitone,whenever they decide to produce 10rd magazines!

Take care

·
Premium Member
127,080 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Welcome from NC!

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum. At some point, post a new thread explaining your gun laws there. They may turn out to better than ours...

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Welcome neighbor!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Hey Mate! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum. At some point, post a new thread explaining your gun laws there. They may turn out to better than ours...
Well I'm new to handguns,so I can give you a overview of what is required to get started.
The first thing that we are all required to do is to take a general firearms safety course called a P.A.L, this covers long guns 420mm or over,this took 3 evenings and included a written and practical tests,the fee for this course was $120.00.
Once you pass your PAL your are required to take a RPAL safety course that covers handuns,this course is 2 evenings and had 2 tests also,the fee was $80.00.Handguns are classified as restricted firearms and you can ONLY possess them for sport target shooting or as a collector! We cannot not carry or use for self defence generally.There is a great deal of paperwork and a very thorough background check once you have passed all the courses ,this takes about 45 days as there is a waiting period.
Ok so now you have your licences,you can now make a purchase,but you then need another permit to transfer the handgun from the seller to your dwelling,this can take a day to about 3 weeks for that permit,now you take it home and lock it up!
Next we have to apply to a approved gun range,this involves more paper work,and a range safety course followed by a written and practical test,once you pass,you are reviewed by a commitee,my club required a 3 month probationary period.Once that period is up,the club then applies for your transfer permit,this can take about 30days to get,and only allows us to take the firearm to any approved range and back home,nothing else, you require another temporary permit if you want to take your gun anyhwere else like a gunsmith! The clubs requires us to get 10 signatures over the year to proove that we did use the firearm for the intended purpose,they then submit that info to the government! We cannot shoot a restricted firearm ANYWHERE but at a approved range.
New licence holders can ownly own handguns with a barrel length of 106mm or greater,and they can only have 10 round mags,no full autos.We can instantly loose all firearms if we are convicted of any crime,family issues,any reported act of violence or misuse.
Firearms are fairly expensive here,I'm looking at a new XDm40,this will likely end up costing me about $1050.00 with tax!
There is much more I could share if time allowed! These guidlines apply to Onatrio Canada,and may slightly vary in other provinces.We have a constant battle with our Liberal sector of government,they want to ban handguns totally along with ALL semiauto firearms.The city of Toronto has alot of gun related crimes,this Liberal party is blinded and seems to think these gun crimes are commited with legally registered guns,they seem to overlook that criminals will not bother with all the required steps to legally acquire firearms when in reality the guys are stealing or smuggling firearms!
Ok lastly,all firearms must be registered with the goverment any time they change hands!

So,I'm doubting are laws are better in any way!

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Holy smokes MET.. have you considered moving to the US?.. good grief.. little did I know..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy smokes MET.. have you considered moving to the US?.. good grief.. little did I know..
Sure have,but we are spoiled by our healthcare, Are the stories really true,and how much is the insurance down there?

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Wow....Canadians have to put up with alot to own firearms. I never knew! Anywho, welcome to the forum from Music City, U.S.A.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!