Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a new Hellcat OSP which will not lock back after the last round is fired.

I have about 75-80 rounds through it. Three different types of ammo. When I am at the range, I usually load and fire 5 rounds at a time to practice loading and reloading at the same time.

It has fed everything fine with no malfunctions, great sights, accurate, but it will not lock back the slide on the last round.

I know that can be the result of a poor grip and a snappy small barrel pistol, but I don't recall having a similar issue with my .45 XDS. As far as the grip, I didn't have any trouble shooting my HK 45CT the same day.

I have tried both factory magazines as well. Same issue with both.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or any ideas on how to correct it?

Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's most likely your grip. Your XDS is a .45 so your group won't effect it as much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
Shoot it left handed like mentioned above or make an effort to keep thumb away for a couple of mags to see if it's grip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect you guys are right.

I probably won't get to the range for a few days to try the tests that were recommended.

I have been trying to use a thumbs forward grip which I hadn't used before. I think that I might have some carpal tunnel/repetitive stress issues as well.

If it is the grip, do you guys have any suggestions for improving ones grip?

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
I suspect you guys are right.

I probably won't get to the range for a few days to try the tests that were recommended.

I have been trying to use a thumbs forward grip which I hadn't used before. I think that I might have some carpal tunnel/repetitive stress issues as well.

If it is the grip, do you guys have any suggestions for improving ones grip?
It's a common issue with modern, striker-fired, poly framed hand guns.
What makes them different?
The absence of a manual safety.
On older guns (except Berettas) you can "ride the safety" without consequence, down is off.
Train to keep your strong-side thumb away from the gun... wrap it over your support hand, point it straight out, doesn't matter. Just keep it offa the slide stop.
I'm not personally a fan of the radical "thumbs forward" grip, knowing full-well that some of the best shooters in the world use it... it's unnatural, uncomfortable and therefore requires you to think about it. Fine if you have endless hours of (sponsored) range-time and ammo. A potential game-ender in a SD situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One possibly is that weak ammo isn't driving the slide all the way back for the slide stop to catch it. If id opens consistantly when you manually rack the slide, it may well be the ammo.

If so, using NATO spec ammo should help untill the spring braeks in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
On older guns (except Berettas) you can "ride the safety" without consequence, down is off.
Train to keep your strong-side thumb away from the gun... wrap it over your support hand, point it straight out, doesn't matter. Just keep it offa the slide stop.
I'm not personally a fan of the radical "thumbs forward" grip, knowing full-well that some of the best shooters in the world use it... it's unnatural, uncomfortable and therefore requires you to think about it. Fine if you have endless hours of (sponsored) range-time and ammo. A potential game-ender in a SD situation.

I, too, am not a fan of the “thumbs forward” grip for the same reasons.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I'm transitioning from a G26 to a Hellcat for edc. My normal grip is that my left hand thumb is locked over my other thumb. No failures, so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts