Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not trying to be difficult, but generally the last two Springfield Field Armory purchases the pistol was generally in better condition. You can see the half inch hairline scratch on left side of the slide. The barrel has wear marks on it. That's in itself isn't unusual as they test fire at the factory. Its just the amount on this pistol seems it was fired with at least both 15 round mags or more. I don't remember my XDS and XD9 looking like this.

The bore also has crud left in the chamber area. Perhaps Springfield is slipping on QC lately? The seller (FFL) has offered to swap out the pistol (i'll have to eat another $35.00 FFL transfer cost.) or give me extra mags. Maybe I'm just being OCD... thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,861 Posts
The scratch maybe handling after the last owner?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The scratch maybe handling after the last owner?
This is supposed to be a "new pistol" I bought it off a online FFL/seller who also runs a rental range. I'm not saying they took it or a test drive or anything but... Either that or the Croat from HS Produkt took it on a wild test drive.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't think you're being "OCD" on a new handgun. I've never seen that on a Springfield gun before and no one I know has either...

I don't know which online FFL you got it from, but maybe it was a display gun, or someone ordered it, looked at it (by which I mean treated it like a display gun), and refused the transfer. I've bought a display gun (long gun) before because they had nothing in the back and it had scratches on the receiver and the action like that. Doesn't explain the crud though and I've never had an "idiot scratch" on a striker gun... Maybe it slipped through QC, but once again that does not reflect my experience with the XD or Hellcat lines. You could also call Springfield, explain the entire situation, and email them pictures. I've only had one issue on a Springfield (one of the domestic lines, not an HS Produkt import) and they went above and beyond to make it right.

Reactions: shaner and EMT760

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have taken possession of a new XD that had a little carbine left from test firing. It didn't bother me one bit. As far as scratches there probably from handling after it left the factory. It's a tool that will eventually get wear and scratches.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My 10mm had powder flakes in the bbl but the ramp and everything else was clean. Pretty much the same with all the others I’ve gotten. That scratch could have very easily happened at a dealer or set down on a cleaning brush. Although, Kinda odd that its in the low areas and not on top too. Got a Ruger once that I swear they shot jacketed ammo at 8000 fps. Bbl was streaked with copper and a white ash like coating in the bbl and chamber. Was like they ran two mags worth of proof loads through it. I still have it and it’s been a good gun.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree, that doesn't look brand new to me. If it was brand new it would have come bagged in some type of oil. I do agree you must inspect before buying, but buying from an online dealer that listed it as new, I would expect new. They are replacing it, so that is good. Still a pain. I don't think this is a Springfield Armory QC issue. This is a dealer issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the condition of the barrel from when I got it at the FFL. I'm not really sure, what those particles are. The pistol has all the correct accessories, x2 mags, the speed loader. Lock still wrapped in plastic. Paper work neatly folded. It's bizarre...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did it have a target folded up from the factory with a 5(?) shot group, signed by the shooter? My RDP did. Didn't have a fired case, though, like you normally get with a pistol.
Yes, it looks like everything including the target is there, stamped by the inspector. Not sure about the casing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts