Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For some time now I've wanted to try a red dot on a pistol. Finally made it happen.
It took forever to get the mounting plate, they must be made out of meteorites or something.

Here are some pictures:
IMG_20210131_210941_135.jpg IMG_20210131_210941_349.jpg IMG_20210131_210941_376.jpg IMG_20210131_210941_398.jpg

As you can tell in the last photo, it doesn't co-witness with the factory sights. (not even a little) I don't think it would even be possible with suppressor height sights.
Having said that, it is Trijicon so it's rugged and dependable.

Holster is a Bravo Concealment OWB. I needed to remove a tiny bit of material right in front of the optic so it would snap in properly.

I haven't shot it with live ammo yet, but I have been dry-fire training for days now to get the muscle memory so the dot appears in the window every time.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Nice set up

·
Registered
194 Posts
For some time now I've wanted to try a red dot on a pistol. Finally made it happen.
It took forever to get the mounting plate, they must be made out of meteorites or something.

Here are some pictures:
View attachment 832028 View attachment 832029 View attachment 832030 View attachment 832031

As you can tell in the last photo, it doesn't co-witness with the factory sights. (not even a little) I don't think it would even be possible with suppressor height sights.
Having said that, it is Trijicon so it's rugged and dependable.

Holster is a Bravo Concealment OWB. I needed to remove a tiny bit of material right in front of the optic so it would snap in properly.

I haven't shot it with live ammo yet, but I have been dry-fire training for days now to get the muscle memory so the dot appears in the window every time.
Nice set up can you co witness the factory sights ? You can with the shield . I strongly recommend the Hogue Handall Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve & the Federal HST 124 grain +P hollow Point Ammo for Defensive carry. The Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve helps tame the stout recoil of the Hell Cat 9mm & LCP II .380 well worth the $12.00 .

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Nice set up can you co witness the factory sights ? You can with the shield . I strongly recommend the Hogue Handall Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve & the Federal HST 124 grain +P hollow Point Ammo for Defensive carry. The Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve helps tame the stout recoil of the Hell Cat 9mm & LCP II .380 well worth the $12.00 .

My god, the post you quoted CLEARLY SAYS
As you can tell in the last photo, it doesn't co-witness with the factory sights.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a lot of research on different red dot sights before pulling the trigger. I knew which ones co-witnessed on the Hellcat and which ones didn't. I've seen reviews from folks saying they love co-witness and others who feel it makes an already tiny window smaller and more cluttered. I've also seen reports of some pistol red dot sights that have cracked and scratched.

This is my everyday carry gun and it will take a beating. The XDs that my Hellcat replaced has a beautiful patina of holster wear and character picked up over the years.

I looked at every optic that fits the Hellcat, and then I saw this:
Personal Defence World said:
Another concern I had was durability. We put that to rest when we racked our pistols on the posts we shot around. In fact, the reps from Trijicon asked us to set up malfunctions and clear them by racking the gun hard on the posts. I took this to heart and thought, “It’s not mine,” before going to town on the post. I had multiple deep gouges in the post from manipulations and each time I would raise the gun back up, the optic was still running and holding zero. This was capped off when we were encouraged to unload and actually bang the optic on the post.
Once I saw that photo, I couldn't get it out of my head. Sometimes the real value is spending a little more on a product that will last a lifetime.

As for co-witness. The RMRcc is slightly wider than the Hellcat slide and I do not know if milling is an option because of how far apart the mounting screws are.
I'm happy with my current setup and I'll get in enough dry-fire repetitions to ensure that the dot appears every time without having to hunt for it.

Like anything in life, what you get out of it is tied to what you put into it.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I've had red dots on a couple of my CZs for 7 or 8 years now. Awesome idea, awesome to use.

I hear/read all that stuff about window size, dot size, back up sight placement, clutter, etc., etc., etc.

People need to stop complaining and start practicing. Even just dry fire practice at home. Put a dot (tape a piece of paper up there) on the wall and practice drawing/dry firing. Practice.

My two CZ's have the big (8 or 9 MOA) dots in the RMRs. I bought the DI RMRs. FO for lighted conditions and tritium for no light. Not perfect, but the back up sights are always there if conditions wash out the RMR dot). At the time the RMRs were going through the battery/switch/whatever issues and I didn't want "issues." I wanted something that works all the time.

I don't notice the window size. I notice the dot on the target.
I don't notice the back up sights. I notice the dot on the target.
I don't notice the color of the window/lens (another complaint some people have). I notice the dot on the target.

The big dot is not an issue with shooting small groups up close. Not for me.

If you want sights that are quick, work in any conditions and reliable in rough use, get an RMR or a Holoson. I just recently put a Holoson on another P07 and it's been good so far. Look of the torture testing done on the Holoson pistol sights. Amazing what they can take and keep working.

I had plans (got sidetracked) to have one put on my big XD .45 Tactical. May revisit that at some point.

Why did I go "red dot"? If I lose my glasses the front sight is just gone for me. I can't even see a blur of a front sight. If I lose my glasses I can still see a blurry dot. Not hard at all to put a blurry dot on the target.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts