Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I went to Gander Mnt. tonight and was just browsing around looking at the handguns, looked at a few diff 1911's taurus ,sig,s&w,para and finally the last one i looked at was also one of the most expensive 1911's in the store at nearly 1700.00 a Springfield operator not it looked real nice once i got past the rail but then i held it OUCH that da*n things checkering and hell even the grips were sharp as hell just holding it no way wld i ever pay that much for a gun i'd have to bevel down all the checkering and change the grips just to shoot without ripping my hand to peices.thats just me .. now i know as the name suggests its an operator..i assume geared more towards swat or other tac teams of individuals who most likely wld have gloves on but i hear alot of people buy this gun..why? Now i didnt dislike any other thing about this gun other than the rail it looked great had a tight fit and looked to be very well made.. i dont really know why i posted this maybey a late (3:52am)rant from being tired but cant sleep i dont know.. anyways to any of you out there that own this gun let me know your shooting impressions of this gun i'm curious to see if anyone shoots this beast without gloves without cutting their hands.

rant over

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
"Operator" when used by Springfield merely means that the pistol has the railed dust cover.

So which "Operator" was it? I'm betting it was a TRP.

I have a older model TRP Operator and love the pistol. If your soft girly hands can't handle the positive grip enhancements then you need to do some work and build up some tough skin.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I will say that once you get used to the sharp grips, they really help you keep the gun in line.

I put sandpaper grips on my XD .40 Service because the recoil was kind of snappy and to keep it from slipping in my hand I had to grip it too hard for accuracy. This made a big difference.

At first, however, the grips really rubbed my hands raw in a few spots.
Now the grips have lost some of their initial bite and my hands are a bit tougher.

... soft girly hands... nice one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If your soft girly hands can't handle the positive grip enhancements then you need to do some work and build up some tough skin.

I have a TRP (full rail) and love it. Except I can't handle that rough checkering prior to my violin recitals... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I will say that once you get used to the sharp grips, they really help you keep the gun in line.

I put sandpaper grips on my XD .40 Service because the recoil was kind of snappy and to keep it from slipping in my hand I had to grip it too hard for accuracy. This made a big difference.

At first, however, the grips really rubbed my hands raw in a few spots.
Now the grips have lost some of their initial bite and my hands are a bit tougher.

... soft girly hands... nice one.
i also use grip tape on my xd and i love it. and by some standards i might have soft girly hands but after a little while it isnt a big deal. unless i shoot a LOT in one day and by a lot i mean over 250 rounds

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't know aggressive grips/checkering were a Marine thing; explains a lot!
FWIW, I have relatively soft hands, but they loves them some sandpaper grips!

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
First, not an insult but some constructive feedback...please start using punctuation! Your posts are somewhat hard to understand in the first place, and it makes them even tougher without it.

Secondly, I have a Lightweight Operator and have never had a problem with the grips; but that's me. But understand that the TRP was designed for a very specific purpose and "comfort" was not a high priority, but capability was and this is where this upper-end Springfield 1911 shines. That 20lpi front strap checkering was designed into the weapon for a purpose, and although some joke that it can double as a survival saw; it does what it is suppose to.

So, you have every right to your opinion but don't get upset if people counter it. There are a lot of nice upper-end 1911s out there if the TRP is not to your liking; but also understand that it is a purpose-driven weapon and excels in that purpose. In the hands of a skilled operator, the TRP is capable of very tight groupings at quite the distance. It is pretty much the pinnacle of Springfield's production 1911s, but not for everyone. I only wish I could afford it (well, I could; but I decided on a LW Operator and a black stainless Loaded Target for a little more than the price of one TRP).

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First, not an insult but some constructive feedback...please start using punctuation! Your posts are somewhat hard to understand in the first place, and it makes them even tougher without it.

Secondly, I have a Lightweight Operator and have never had a problem with the grips; but that's me. But understand that the TRP was designed for a very specific purpose and "comfort" was not a high priority, but capability was and this is where this upper-end Springfield 1911 shines. That 20lpi front strap checkering was designed into the weapon for a purpose, and although some joke that it can double as a survival saw; it does what it is suppose to.

So, you have every right to your opinion but don't get upset if people counter it. There are a lot of nice upper-end 1911s out there if the TRP is not to your liking; but also understand that it is a purpose-driven weapon and excels in that purpose. In the hands of a skilled operator, the TRP is capable of very tight groupings at quite the distance. It is pretty much the pinnacle of Springfield's production 1911s, but not for everyone. I only wish I could afford it (well, I could; but I decided on a LW Operator and a black stainless Loaded Target for a little more than the price of one TRP).

Cheers! M2
I don't mind constructive feedback. What I do mind is being insulted. If Cannibul had said it's for a very secure grip.Try using some sand paper grip or skate tape on your grips and after awhile your hands will not notice the sharper edges of the TRP's grip and checkering. Then there would not have been an issue,instead he chose to insult me. That is what I had the problem with and he does that to alot of people here on this forum.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh how original a charlie brown reference

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks, I just kinda grabbed it in hurry, I have a whole internet full of pics I'm sure I could've found one better given the time...

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol I'm sure

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I have shot one of them before, the grips provide a real positive feel i loved it

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
like I said the sharp checkering and grips were My only qualm about an otherwise great 1911. I just wanted to know for all of us out there without stone hands if this thing tears your hands up when shooting it.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
yes it was the TRP model. that being sd ya know I sit back and think it's just your sense of humor when you insult people so I'm not going to start slingin em back but just to clear something up Im sorry We're all not big bad marines with the ego to match but I will say I did sign up I went to meps in Dec of 2001 I wanted nothing more than to serve My country and the only reason I was not able to go was not low test scores I had a near 60 on test It was not the physical part I was in great shape it was my bad eye sight and only my bad eyesight that disqualified me from serving. now I know and have known alot of Marines in my time and they all have a wicked sense of humor but most dont go so far as to generally insult anybody and everybody they talk to even us "civilian's" so I ask what the hell happened to you that made you so jaded and speak down to everybody? just wondering because I'm willing to bet you probably be a really good guy with lots of knowledge and experience to draw on if you wern't so damned wrapped up on yourself. i guess what I'm trying to say is get over yourself and learn to be a little more tactful

Ohh.... did I hurt your feelings? Here's a timeout card. Now go sit in the corner and cry your eyes out. Come out when the card turns into a Man Card.

Your report on the weapon is nothing more than a thinly veiled whine. If you did not like it that's fine. But why you would come here and write about it baffles me.

The TRP is designed to give a very positive grip under adverse circumstances. If you want a range queen then buy one. If you want a tactical weapon then you are going to have to live with the idea that it may very well hurt to fire it till you toughen up. I work with my hands. I also work outside. My hands are not the hands of someone who has done a lifetime of hard labor. But I find the checkering and the grips on my TRP Operator to give a very positive hold. The most rounds down range in a single session so far has been about 200. The damage done to my hands was a impression of the grips and front strap checkering that lasted for about ½ an hour. That mainly comes from having a firm grip on the weapon. The TRP was my first experience with aggressive grips and front strap checkering. I have converted all my 1911 grips over to aggressive type grips. Some of them are even more aggressive than the grips that came on my TRP. If I could afford it I would have all my front straps checkered with 20 lpi checkering.

Also you should head down to the local Community College and take a couple of writing classes. Unless you like coming off as the successful result of seven generations of vertical inbreeding.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Guy's Please,

Let's take it down a notch or two... I didn't take the hand comment as anything but a bunch of guys being just that. Cannibul you have to be careful of what you say to some people. Everyone has a different since of humor. However is their a need to act like seventh graders? Why stir the pot, is there not enough gun stuff going around to talk about? Charlie if you didn't appreciate what Cannibul said then send him a PM and tell him that. When you call people out in public this thing called pride kicks in. Then people have the urge to get in the last word and crack. Every one has guns for there own reason. Like me I love to shoot and carry a gun for work. To me though A 1911 is just not my style. I don't want to spend all that money on a 1911 when I could buy another XD plus a bunch of .223 and be just as happy. However others love the detail and function of a 1911. Just not me, does that make me less of a "gun nut"? Am I a pussy since I do not like 1911's? Is Charlie a pushy because he doesn't like the way the grip feels? Most likely not.

We need to remember that we as gun owners need to stick together. The liberals like Obama love it when we fight each other, it saves them the work. Also guys do we really need the "grammar and spelling police"? It is a message board not a term paper. On the flip side how hard is it to copy into Word spell check it and paste it back to the board?

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
We need to remember that we as gun owners need to stick together. The liberals like Obama love it when we fight each other, it saves them the work. Also guys do we really need the "grammar and spelling police"? It is a message board not a term paper. On the flip side how hard is it to copy into Word spell check it and paste it back to the board?

That makes it even worse.

Word adds all kinds of hidden formatting codes that really really cause problems when you cut and paste into the forum.

Seeing as how every modern web browser either has Spell Check built in or has it available as a plug-in you should not need to jump through hoops. Please note that Google Chrome has spell check but it doesn't yet offer the correct spelling.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Charlie, if you find the grips that come with the gun uncomfortable, why not swap them out? There are many many types of grips for the 1911. I'm sure one of them will work out for you and then you'll have a great gun with a grip you like.

Check this site for a bunch of very nice options: 1911 Grips | 1911 Pistol Grips and Accessories

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.