Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate feedback from those familiar with the night-sights Springfield offers pre-installed on new XDs.

I'm thinking about a new XD9sc (with the sights) for home defense and occasional concealed carry. Already got one without the sights, but want a second gun for the wife.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you want night sights it is cheaper to get them from the factory, then it is to have then instaled later, and that's agood thing :D .
Now this is just my opioin, but I would pick the Trijicon sights over the Heinies. I just like the three dots across better then the two dots stacked one on top of the other.
Springfield offers both.
I have five guns with night sights, 3 with Trijicons, 1 with Novak, 1 Dawson.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't aware of the Heinie configuration (not having actually seen them) and assumed they were just another brand of 3-dot sights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i as well preferr the 3-Dot system, but the Heinie advertises on their site that

"It is a proven fact that the human eye can correct vertical alignment quicker then horizontal alignment."

which is completely true. i guess it all boils down to what your preference is. i myself have been curious about the Heinie Slant Pro's. i would like to see them in person before i make a decision though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a XD9 4 inch model with the factory Heinie night sights. I have experience with the three dot sights and compared to the Heinie, I'd pick the Heinie any day. With the three dot sight, you have to adjust vertical and horizontal in order for the sights to line up perfectly. With the two dot stacked Heinie, you just have to simply make a snow man out of the two dots and your set.

just my $.02

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that does it, Pool and Gun - I'm going shopping for my second XD9sc, only this one will have the Heinie sights. I liked they way they looked at the Heinie website, and the two-dot approach makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got a 40 XD, 4 inch last Thursday. It came with the Heinie's. I wasn't sure about them at first. I have used only the "standard 3-dot" set up. After 250 rounds, I like the Heinie's just fine. They are of a lower profile and seem to work just fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been following this (and other) discussion of night sights with great interest. And, I am intrigued by the Heine concept. Currently, I have 3-dot night sights on my 1911, by just the stock standard sights on my XD-9.

What about the XS 24/7 Big Dot Tritium sights?

http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html#order

There are plenty of folks that use the big dot concept to great advantage in picking up quick target acquisition at "conversation" distances. Adding tritium could make this a winner.

Has anyone here tried these sights and what do you think of them?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought a used XD-9 service with the XS Big Dot sights already installed. I recently moved them to my daily carry XD Sub.

Impressions-

VERY fast sight picture. I mean, basically instant sight picture. It's an awesome sight for rapid, close range shooting. I have never used a pistol sight which works as well for close range defensive shooting.

However, once you get out beyond 15 yards, the huge front dot obscures the target and makes precise shooting very difficult. This was a big problem when trying shooting normal steel targets in IDPA matches as the sight completely obscured the plates at 15+ yards. I totally blew a stage due to this problem. After the match was over, I reshot the plate stage with the wife's conventionally sighted XD-SC and had no problems dropping the plates rapidly.

So now my SC has the Big Dots on it, and the service has fiber optics :)

Long story short :) - I think they are some of the best sights on the market for a defensive carry weapon. Within the magic 21 ft, they are awesome and they are ok for shooting at human sized targets out to 25 yards.

If you want to also do competition shooting or precision target shooting, I suggest looking at a more conventional sighting system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
baa - Thank you for that appraisal. In the short time since I posted my question, I have had several private messages from others with very similar opinions.

I want to like the big dot concept. But, there is something just nagging me that says this wouldn't be the best idea, that it would make my XD-9 so much less versatile that I would regret it.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth, but I had a chance sometime ago to run a LE qualification course with one of our deputy's G-22 with the Heinie's. The difference between a traditional "3-dot" system and the 2-dot stack was striking. There is no doubt in my mind that the Slant-Pro for me would be the way to go. Target acquisition was very fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts