Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have much experience with these?

I have read that alot of people like the Mepro's, and people have said that the "Big Dot" sites are great up close but obscure the target at greater distances.

Looking for a good high quality sight for home protection and eventually CCW and would prefer one with a lower profile like the Heine..but am open to whatever is suggested..

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I was concerned about the accuracy with the big dots, too. Turns out they have XS 24/7 sights in the regular-size dot configuration. James or old school can probably get a hold of them. If not, you can always pay the Brownell's premium...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I like the idea of the 2 vertical dots on the "straight 8s" but not if they arent really contrasting/visible.

I PMd Old School and he recomended the Dawsons, among others, but after looking at their price compared to others, I would rather save the money for a trigger job.

I will look for the XS sights (non big-dot) among others that were suggested through PM,

thanks again.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Mine came with the Heinie's because that's the way the LAPD store orders them, there is no choice. I had no problem with that, since I was saving over a $100 on the gun with the sights compared to one with the stock ones at a regular gun store.

Well, at 55, with bifocals, my eyesite isn't what it used to be (20/5), so I have a difficult time in the daytime (especially outside) in seeing them. I have never used them at night, tho they do show up great when I've looked at them in my room.

I actually had to put some real bright orange nail polish on them (not touching the actual sight) so I can see the sights.

If I had to do over, I would get different ones. Not sure which ones tho.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
retired said:
If I had to do over, I would get different ones. Not sure which ones tho.
Thanks very much, guys. I will keep searching around as I am in no hurry to order them and have them installed. (might have it done with a duracoat job by ajames..)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, R.E., here's a different point of view. I just had the Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8's with tritium installed on my XD-9. I find them very fast to pick up, as do my friends that recommended them. The rear tritium is smaller in diameter than the front site, so, for me, it's easy to line them up. I have yet to shoot the pistol extensively with the new sights, but I am excited to have them.

BTW, James did the installation, as well as a DuroCoat finish at the same time. Great service!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey,
I just had the Mepro's installed on my Xd Sub, and the sight aquisition is outstanding in daylight, dimlight and complete darkness. This is my everyday carry. My buddy just had some Trijicons installed on his Springfield 1911 but the dots are a bit smaller and not as bright on the Trijicons. The Mepro's are super bright and very visable, just my 2c's

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd go with the Trijicons myself. I put a set on about a year ago and they are working awesome, and are easily picked up in bright, as well as no light conditions.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those pics are great, especially the Trijicon Night Sights. (great nighttime illumination)

I too like the idea of the Straight 8s because of their quick pickup (someone referenced a study in another thread in which it was proven the eye is better able to pickup the sights in a vertical line, as opposed to a horizontal).

I guess its up between the Mepros, Trijicon, and Heine.

Thanks again for the phots, and all comments are welcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8's on my .40 service model and love them. The wifes 9mm SC has the standard 3 dots. I find myself concentrating harder on the whole 3 dot thing than I am focusing on the front sight post and maintain good sight picture / sight alingment

1 - 12 of 12 Posts