Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend had a small accident today...
7mm 08 loaded with Titegroup not Varget...NEVER have 2 powders on your bench at the same time!!!!!!

The gun...Savage 16/116 FLCSS 7mm-08 stainless

His hand....

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Ouch...

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
This could've been much worse. I hope the damage to his finger isn't permanent, but his pride's going to suffer a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Holy cow!

I wish your friend a speedy recovery!

I am no expert, but I don't see any salvageable parts in that pic.

I do not reload, and I will not reload until I learn enough to be confident in what I am doing

Best wishes!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Not sure id call that a "small" failure. a small failure is putting a primer in backwards or something to that nature (it happens). That looks more along the lines of catastrophic failure. Glad he is for the most part in one piece. The rifle on the other hand looks like a total loss.

If the the gun isnt a total loss . I might be interested in a few parts.. ie trigger, floor plate and housing along with the bolt handle.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the issue is TG is a hot, fast light-loading pistol powder...not exactly what you want to put in a rifle and certainly not in large quantities.
A load in varget might be 45 grains...a typical 9mm load of TG is 4gr...

All the books rec keeping your powders on a far wall or such so you have to really work at having the right one on the bench.

Talked to a guy that blew up an XDm, double charge. Didn't toss metal anyplace but the slide was twice as wide as it should be.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Sorry, this is beyond stupid. Varget, stick powder, looks nothing like TG, ball powder, nothing, not even close. Sorry he got hurt & lost a rifle, but this is just lack of knowledge & attention. I run three presses on my bench, often have more than one powder out. Reloading is not rocket science, but you really do have to check & double check, pay attention.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Small mishap = little to no damage... recoverable. Disaster = Heavy damage but recoverable. Catastrophe = Heavy damage, non recoverable. I would not call this a small accident. Hopefully his hand becomes fully functional again, but the rifle is toast!

We all know this can happen if you put pistol powder in a rifle cartridge to rifle powder capacities. Pistol powder, for those of you who may be new to this, is many times faster than rifle powder and in a "closed bomb test" such as this, will result in much more pressure per volume than rifle powder. So... remember these pictures and READ THE LABEL! And as Fred said... know your powder, what it looks like, and pay attention.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Holy cow! Threads like this scare the crap out of me. Point taken.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I just showed this to my fiancé and drove the point home that this is why I don't let her mess around with me while I reload.

I've explained it many times before, but she always kind of took it as a minor issue. She finally understands the seriousness of the situation. Thanks Prof.

Hope your friend gets to keep full use of his hand. Looks like all flesh wound, but I've seen shallower cuts affect tendons....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Hope he heals completely. I know reloading can be dangerous if you don't go about it properly, point proven.

Glad he's ok.

sent from the german sheperd next to me

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hope he recovers completely. As a new reloader, that pic is sobering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Can't be too careful when reloading. This is why I lock the door behind me in the reloading room.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Can't be too careful when reloading. This is why I lock the door behind me in the reloading room.
Exactly. Even a conversation is distracting enough to cause a problem. When my wife "interrupts", I stop what I'm doing. When finished with whatever, I double-check everything prior to the interruption, then go on from there.

Reactions: Wat_Tyler

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Sorry, this is beyond stupid. Varget, stick powder, looks nothing like TG, flake powder, nothing, not even close. Sorry he got hurt & lost a rifle, but this is just lack of knowledge & attention. I run three presses on my bench, often have more than one powder out. Reloading is not rocket science, but you really do have to check & double check, pay attention.
FIFY

I have to agree with you Fred though. This is a lack of attention. He's lucky that he doesn't have a finger laying on the gauze instead of just some blood and skin. Here's a shot of both powders - TG on the left, Varget on the right.

Really two very separate powders.

Small mishap = little to no damage... recoverable. Disaster = Heavy damage but recoverable. Catastrophe = Heavy damage, non recoverable. I would not call this a small accident. Hopefully his hand becomes fully functional again, but the rifle is toast!.
This is a catastrophic accident - OP, don't let your buddy kid himself. He really screwed up, and he'll have scars and pain to remind him the rest of his life. Unfortunate for him but now he (and others seeing this) know the gravity of a reloading error.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
^^Exactly!^^ this type of mistake is almost always done by a Newb reloader that just doesn't understand the dangers involved. I had a Coworker blow up a ruger super BH loading red dot instead of blue dot. Ya gotta pay attention, understand what you are working with, powders & bullets.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts