Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you using for hearing protection at the range? May want to do a poll on this later. Just wondering how many use plugs, the electronic stuff, etc.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I asked this earlier but didn't get much of a response. I did a little online research and just ordered myself some Peltor Tactical 7S electronic earmuffs. I'll post a review once I get them and get a chance to try them out.

Can see them here on the MidwayUSA site...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=541841

I found them NIB on eBay for $110 plus S&H.

I had been using the yellow foam things along with non-electronic muffs. I couldn't hear the rangemaster clearly enough and decided to try electronics. My ears have been ringing for over 15 years now and my hearing is steadily getting worse, which is why I was wearing double protection.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I picked up a set of plugs for $5.50 at Sportsmans warehouse, and the range I went to lets its range customers use eyes and ears at no extra, so I used a set of ears from them in addition to the plugs cuz I wasn't completely confident in using the plugs alone...anyway...next time i'm at the range I think i'll just stick with the plugs...they're rated for 25 db so as long as I can practice putting them in correctly so they stay in nice and tight...I think i'll be fine.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
huh?? speak up, can't hear ya

Cheap muffs from harbor freight- db rating of 25 plus foam plugs with a db rating of 27 db.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Foam ear plugs. Bought a pack of 100, I'm good for years!

I mostly shoot pistol, but they do well for shooting my 12 gauge and my friend's .308.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I use ear plugs.. no ear muffs.

The safety guy at my work insists that we use ear plugs. If we use ear muffs, we must use ear plugs with them. Apperently, the sound waves vibrate through the shell of the ear muffs to such a degree that not using ear plugs with them don't give you a significant enough amount of protection.. wheras the ear plugs break up the sound waves at the very opening of your ear canal.

Raymond

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought a pair of Howard Leight "Leightnings" at my range. 30 bucks, 31 decibel attenuation, and comfy to boot. I didn't even realize how good they are until I went without them and used the range rentals. Horrid.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good foam plugs are hard to beat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use earmuffs. They are cheap ones my father had laying around. I plan to purchase high-end non-electronic ones. I heard the plugs don't prevent hearing loss. I've been told some police departments don't allow plugs for this reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts