Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious to see what kinds of protection you guys use while shooting. Right now I just use a set of cheap plugs but am looking into investing in a nice set of electronic muffs, like game ears or something of that nature. Something that deadens the shot but enhances voices and stuff like that. You know how it goes. Just wanted to get some insight on what you guys use or have heard that works best. Thanks Chris

·
Registered
580 Posts
i use the blaze orange foam plugs. they've worked better than most muffs i've used. i think i get 10 pairs at walmart in one package.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I second the doubleing-up especially on indoor ranges.

When I'm going to be taking them in and out a lot, I use Howard Leight Airsoft, NRR27, long term shooting I use the Max line from Howard Leight.

Afterall, concussion hurts my ears more than decible levels. I can shoot shotguns and 223 all day, break out a little 22 pistol and my ears ring for the next 36 hours :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I work on planes and find myself always out on the ramp with jets and helicopters turning all the time. BEST ADVICE IS DOUBLE UP. Never rely on just one for protection. A set of generic foam plugs that can be purchased in bulk used in conjunction with a decent set of "ears" is the only way to go. People often take their hearing for granted til it's gone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input guys. Never really thought about doublin' up. I'll have to give it a whirl. Hey ample where you abouts in Ironton. I have a lot of family down there. Don't hear of it much. Thanks Chris

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Wilds said:
Don't hear of it much. Thanks Chris
If you shoot a lot and don't double up, you won't hear much of anything after a while :roll:

Take it from one who's paid the price (more from playing rock and roll than shooting, but the end effect is the same).

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find the 32 NRR Leightnings work well for most shooting, except shotguns.

I really hate it though when someone next to me lets off a .357/44/454/500 with no warning. The pressure alone nearly busts my eyeballs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just use foam earplugs I bought in bulk at Home Depot. Works for me, even at the indoor range.

Maybe all the hair that's been sprouting in my ears as I get older provides extra protection! :?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use some 36db plugs and/or a cheap set of electronic muffs I believe are 25db.

Harbor Freight has them for $19.99 + S&H

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46798

definitely not for hunting as it only has one mic, and hey they are only $20, the amplification is not all that natural sounding, but they work great for range time, power tools etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will tell you this..........use the best and most effective hearing protection you can find, even if that means doubling up. I am only 31 and have the hearing of one far beyond my age. It really sucks to be 31 and having to think about an appoinment with Miracle-ear. My **** hearing is due to too many hours around loud farm machinery and shooting various firearms with no protection. Take heed. Once you damage it, you can never really get it back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased the Peltor 6 Tactical Electronic haering protection. The are excellent. You can find them for about $84.99 at CDNN INVESTMENTS. They provide ample hearing protection yet allow me to hear my students perfectly while instructing. Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
manintan said:
I will tell you this..........use the best and most effective hearing protection you can find, even if that means doubling up. I am only 31 and have the hearing of one far beyond my age. It really sucks to be 31 and having to think about an appoinment with Miracle-ear. My **** hearing is due to too many hours around loud farm machinery and shooting various firearms with no protection. Take heed. Once you damage it, you can never really get it back.
Sorry to hear... err... read that. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm with manintan, I'm only 32 and have done my far share of damage to my hearing, mostly from too many live instruments in small places (drums, drums, & yes more drums). I've heard good things about the Pelton 6's mentioned above. I am picking up set at Cabela's as soon as I make it down again. They've got them for about $70 according to the website.

·
Registered
325 Posts
10ring said:
I use some 36db plugs and/or a cheap set of electronic muffs I believe are 25db.

Harbor Freight has them for $19.99 + S&H

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46798

definitely not for hunting as it only has one mic, and hey they are only $20, the amplification is not all that natural sounding, but they work great for range time, power tools etc.
I just took 10rings advise and bought these at Harbor freight. They are $5 more at the store but they will honor the web price if you print it out and bring it in. They are perfect for the range. What a deal for $20. Thanks 10ring. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use the Radians PRO AMP Electronic ears and they work great! I used tham last Saturday at the NHRA Winter Nationals at the Pomona Fairplex and they were outstanding there too. I haven't shot a gun yet that rivals the launch of two top fuel funnycars 30 feet away.... :twisted:

BTW... I ordered mine from www.pistol-gear.com :wink:

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
SB said:
I use the Radians PRO AMP Electronic ears and they work great! I used tham last Saturday at the NHRA Winter Nationals at the Pomona Fairplex and they were outstanding there too. I haven't shot a gun yet that rivals the launch of two top fuel funnycars 30 feet away.... :twisted:

They don't show up on the web site?????

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
SB said:

They don't show up on the web site?????
We have some on order. Once I get a shipment confirmation, I will put them back up. Sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
My former dept. provides the ear muff type. Well, once a year we have to go to the PPC range, Shotgun, trap and Hogans Alley all on the same day for qualification. Even tho I wore the protection as required, I noticed after a few years of this, I would get "tunnel" hearing for 3 days, then my ears would pop and return to normal. When I went to the regular qualifying range every quarter, it would happen for 1 day. I began wearing swimmers in the canal plugs beneath the county protection, but the damage was done.

Years later, when my right ear would pop and hurt for no apparent reason, I went to the ent. A test showed I had the hearing of a 65yr old (I was 51). I now have in the ear canal hearing aids (4% loss of hearing), thankfully at county worker's comp expense (4K). Like was said, once you lose it, you don't get it back.

Use whatever it takes and spend what you are able to, but get something good. :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts