Springfield XD Forum banner

Hearing protection questions need input.

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Old4Eyes 
#1 ·
I have manly always used foam plugs. For the past few months I have been using some decent 25 NPR ear muff style protection. It seems to me they are ok, but when shooting my brothers 357 2in, they just dont cut it. Or after a full day on the range I find my ears ring.
Here is my question, What do you guys use? and have any of you guys used the Sensguard or Zems? I am thinking about trying them. I would like to be able to here some stuff, so the electronic is what I am looking at but anything over 30 NPR is real expensive.
I wouldnt mind being able to ware a Boonie hat either. so I am looking at behind the head style, but thats not a deal breaker. my budget is 50$ or so.
Thanks for the input guys.

#2 ·
if you're purely concerned about hearing protection rather than being able to wear the hat then put the foam plugs in and wear the ear muffs. ill do that if im shooting indoors and i never get any ringing or anything like that.

#3 ·
I know budgets are always a consideration but if you are serious about protecting your hearing and you shoot a lot I'd look for the best option for me rather than putting a $50 ceiling on it. I know a lot of older shooters that now have hearing issues many of which admitted that they didn't put a lot of thought into protection early on.

That said, under $50 I highly recommend the Peltor Ultimate 10s. Used them for 4-5 years before I went to an electronic set both indoors, outdoors, pistols, rifles, etc. Lots of folks sell them for under $30. The NRR rating is between 29 and 32 depending on whose advertising them. Almost as good as the 32-33NRR that you get from a pair of good plugs.

Wearing a Boonie shouldn't be a problem. I generally wear one when I shoot rifle matches using a pair of ProEar muffs. If you don't have snaps just fold up the sides under the band.

#6 ·
if you're purely concerned about hearing protection rather than being able to wear the hat then put the foam plugs in and wear the ear muffs. ill do that if im shooting indoors and i never get any ringing or anything like that.
I do wear foam + muffs.The hat is only a like. we do alot of out door shooting in the desert. A hat is a head saver.
foam in conjunction with muffs is about a 5+ npr. I would like to be able to hear others talking and such.
Thanks for the great input guys, keep them coming.I will look into the peltors.
and glad the hear some one uses the sensguard and likes them.

#8 ·
I use some sort of plug, either foam or the rubbery ones. I then put on a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. I shoot all indoors. It seems to be working ok, but the electronic muffs are still being scrutinized.
so you dont like the electronic?

#9 ·
so you dont like the electronic?
It's ok, but not as good as I was hoping. Here's a couple of gripes I have. First, they only have a 22 rating. I wear plugs too, so this isn't too bad. Second, they pick up all sounds. I shoot indoor about 100% of the time and they pick up the fans and vent noise like crazy. It can get annoying.

I do like that when I have the plug and muff combo going, I can hear very well because of the electronics. Conversations are easy to have without shouting. They're also quite comfortable.

#12 ·
I use a 32db plugs, and have never felt the need for anything else. Don't like "phones" on my head. Not condusive to wearing my sombero in the sun.

#13 ·
It's ok, but not as good as I was hoping. Here's a couple of gripes I have. First, they only have a 22 rating. I wear plugs too, so this isn't too bad. Second, they pick up all sounds. I shoot indoor about 100% of the time and they pick up the fans and vent noise like crazy. It can get annoying.

I do like that when I have the plug and muff combo going, I can hear very well because of the electronics. Conversations are easy to have without shouting. They're also quite comfortable.
good info, never thought of over amped sounds..makes sense tho

Check out the Peltor Ultimate 10 from Midway USA. They are not electronic, but they are rated at 30 NRR and cost only $20.
Will do, thanks
The range I use is outdoors, so the sound levels are not as bad. I like my Remington ear muffs when shooting my pistols, but they tend to get in the way of the stock when I shoot my rifles. For shooting rifles, I use Radians Resistor 32 disposable ear plugs.
thanks for the input.

I use a 32db plugs, and have never felt the need for anything else. Don't like "phones" on my head. Not condusive to wearing my sombero in the sun.
I am leaning towards just some real good plugs also, never failed me in the past.
I just thought the electronic would be nice, but I do not need to hear everything, especialy a bunch of over amped crap.

#14 ·
good info, never thought of over amped sounds..makes sense tho

Will do, thanks

thanks for the input.

I am leaning towards just some real good plugs also, never failed me in the past.
I just thought the electronic would be nice, but I do not need to hear everything, especialy a bunch of over amped crap.
I think that's the result of having to turn up the volume because of the earplugs. I tried those same Impacts and agree that they are not enough by themselves (22NRR). The Pro Ears I have are 28NRR. I turn the volume to about 20% and do not get a lot of background noise unless I turn them up. You get a little wind noise if it's blowing good but you will get that with them all.

#15 ·
I bought a set of these: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O"]Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff[/ame]

...and have been very pleased. There is a really informative review of them on Amazon done by a shooter/sound engineer from Hawaii.

What I like about them is that they can actually amplify normal volume sounds around you which helps me a lot when trying to listen to an instructor or rangemaster (my hearing sucks when there's lots of background noise). When louder sounds occur they damp those out automatically. For large bore stuff (like a 50 BMG) I would augment with plugs, but they are just fine for my .308.

You can also pipe in an external audio feed from an iPod or FMRS radio if you need to.

#16 ·
I shoot indoors and outdoors. These work fine for me. Price is right, too.
Champion Traps and Targets Ear Muffs - Electronic - 40974 from Optics Planet.com. I believe they were $28 w/ free shipping. Got good reviews, I like em too.

#19 ·
It really depends on what is being shot, either by me or by the fellow on the next bench. I've had decent (decent, not great) with the cheap Caldwell electronic muffs. But if I am shooting .357 or someone on the next bench is reaching out with a 308, I double up with muffs and plugs. I use the Silencio silicon plugs. When both are in use I can still hear the line firing commands (which are on a PA) but I lose the ability to hear my pistol's trigger reset while slow firing.

I recently took a mandated hearing protection class at work, and for once I learned something useful. The proper way to get the earplugs in is to reach around from the back with the opposite hand (eg left ear plug, use the right hand) and grab the top of the ear and pull up and back while installing the earplug. It opens the canal and gets a better, deeper fit. Works well with my earphones for my MP3 player as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.