Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local radio DJ recently commented that you were about 9000 times as likely to die from medical malpractice than an accidental shooting.
Any comments on the validity of this statistic? Seems kinda exaggerated to me, but who knows? At least it wasn't the other way around :)

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
WHat he is saying is medical malpractice deaths cause a good majority of the deaths in this country (whether the family knows it or not) Using that statistic vs accidental firearms deaths, it is not out of the realm of possibilities

·
Registered
182 Posts
I copied this from someone's thread sometime:

Doctors:
A The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
B. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000.
C. Accidental deaths per physician is just over 17% - Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.

Now Guns:
A. The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, 80 Million.)
B. The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
C. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .00188% - Statistics courtesy of F.B.I.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR!

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat immediately. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

-hype

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
xHypex said:
I copied this from someone's thread sometime:

Doctors:
A The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
B. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000.
C. Accidental deaths per physician is just over 17% - Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.

Now Guns:
A. The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, 80 Million.)
B. The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
C. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .00188% - Statistics courtesy of F.B.I.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR!

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat immediately. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

-hype

Is this For real?
I find it hard to believe!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Statistics can be whatever you want them to be really......
I wouldn't be surprised at the "Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year".

I would be suspect of the "accidental deaths per gun owner" number though.

How you define "accidental" probably makes a big difference in the numbers represented.

That post is verbatim on here elsewhere if you want to search for it, but I don't think the sources were linked.
-hype

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you go to the NRA site they have all the stat's you'll ever want to see. You might have to hunt around a little to find it, but they have all that stuff there.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
as much as I love the NRA, stats can be worked to say whatever you want them to say. Anyone remember the phrase "Even the Devil can quote scripture to serve his cause"

root around on the fbi website. Use the stats from there. draw your own conclusions. Remember, the only thing more dangerous to an oppressive gov't. than a man w/ a gun is a man w/ a mind AND a gun.

·
Registered
245 Posts
aiformula said:
stats can be worked to say whatever you want them to say
True - to a point. It's my perspective that they can only be twisted so far. The difference in the stats in this case (9141 to 1) cannot be bent so much as to make gun-related deaths even close to deaths caused by doctors.

The difference is so huge, you could probably throw in lots of other gun-related "whatever kind of problem", and it would still be difficult to catch up to the doctors' stats.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wonder what the statistic is for the number of lives saved per year by firearms? (accidental or otherwise)

My firearm's cause is to protect and reinforce the sanctity of life.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The national vital statistics report for 2002 shows a total of 97,900 accidental deaths in the U.S. for that year. That total includes 3,059 deaths due to complications of medical/surgical care and 776 accidental discharge of firearms. As an example of using statistics to lean your way, gunowners.org uses the same accidental firearms number above but uses data from a 1990 harvard study (98,000) for its medical comparison. :roll:

I hate bad data no matter what cause it does or does not support

The truth is out there.

·
Premium Member
28,484 Posts
Dotagious said:
85% of statistics are made up.
LOL :lol: :lol:

Krackels

·
Registered
182 Posts
jeep2919 said:
I hate bad data no matter what cause it does or does not support

The truth is out there.
Agreed. When in doubt use statistics that are conservative to supporting your own cause, and mention that you have done so.
-hype

1 - 14 of 14 Posts