Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a .45acp micro compact that will not completely cycle after a shot. it always hangs up putting the next round into the chamber. if i push the slide into battery, there's a little "snick" of the cartridge passing over the hold up but i can't see it or marks indicating where or what it is. i'm using ball ammo exclusively but it makes no diff. what is going on here??
thanks,
greg :confused:

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
Well...first off, it's a micro 1911.

Second--try a different magazine.

If all else fails, send it to Springfield. They'll get it running for you.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My guess is it's a magazine issue. A friend of mine had the exact same issue with an aftermarket mag (can't remember what brand) and when he switched back to factory, it was fine.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Now, why would the extractor or the magazine cause it to hang up going into battery? The round is already out of the mag, basically already in the chamber, it just hangs up short. Sounds to me more like something is snagging the slide, the spring has lost its mojo, or maybe some snot in the chamber, but I'd expect that to clear after a couple.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ok, I could see the magazine lips snagging the slide. How would the extractor tension get tighter than it started? Not challenging, just trying to learn here.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
looking at this, it seems that it always hangs up. If the extractor was tensioned too tight from the factory, it would cause this. With the tension too tight, the case lip won't slide under the extractor hook.

i have a .45acp micro compact that will not completely cycle after a shot. it always hangs up putting the next round into the chamber. if i push the slide into battery, there's a little "snick" of the cartridge passing over the hold up but i can't see it or marks indicating where or what it is. i'm using ball ammo exclusively but it makes no diff. what is going on here??
thanks,
greg :confused:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ahh, ok, I missed out on that part. I defer to your expertise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for your input, gentlemen! i'll check into the situation per your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
It is likely not the tension on the extractor... Rarely have I seen any factory extractor tension being too tight since most often the hook is too long and bearing contact on the case rather than the flat on the extractor itself... making you think there is too much tension.

The hook should have clearance between itself and the case. The last couple of factory guns I worked on had this happening and a few other things as well. Obviously if the extractor hook is not in contact with the case wall and it is still over about 2lbs tension then the tension is the possibly culprit. However, I bet the hook itself is bearing on the case wall when it shouldn't.

If it is happening every time then I bet too long of a link is a major part of the problem. Way more often then not factory links are fitted too long and hold the barrel feet off of the slide stop pin and hence your are riding the link into lock up (rather standing on the link at lock up). Basically your barrel is forced into rising too early and too high of an angle for the bullet nose to make it over when the rim is still in the mag feed lips which causes too much stem bind you get the makings of a 3-point jam every time, until the link is fitted correctly and the barrel ramp is about 35deg and gaped .031 between the frame ramp and your extractor has the 3 necessary angles and proper tension, you will continue to have problems. I have never found the fix being resolved in a magazine swap for a long term solution. Springfield factory mags are like Colt-style mags with the dimple and are excellent.

I bet your extractor looks just like the pistol I fixed for a customer (see photo). Three major things needed fixing to make those two GI models to run well were, New proper link fitting, barrel angle and gap, proper extractor angles and length and tension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts