Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had originally put this topic in the wrong area:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20198

NExd was kind enough to point out the error of my ways. I wanted to bump it with an update but I thought I would just start a new thread here.

To recap I found a local east side of Cleveland OH ammunition manufacture. http://www.nationalbullet.com They remanufacture ammunition and it has turned out to be a great deal and pretty good ammunition. I have fired 800 rounds of there remanufactured 180 grain FMJ 40 S&W through my two XD-40s (Service and Tactical) and not one failure of any kind. It every bit as accurate as most of the other ammunition I have tried. Although I have not chronographed it yet it should easily make Major for USPSA as it list on the web site at 1006fps. So even if it shot by 50-75fps you still make major.

The first two batches of 500 rounds I bought I paid $77.82 after taxes for the 500 rounds. That $7.78 a box. Well this time I saved up 1000 empties and this morning I picked up 1000 rounds at $122.76 after taxes. That's only $6.14 a box! That’s cheaper than WWB 9mm at Gander Mountain. That's almost competitive with reloading unless you’re casting your own bullets and if you factor in your time pulling the lever it might be a better deal. Now tonight I will have to start loading magazines for this weekend USPSA match. FUN FUN FUN. Two of the stages are going to have 30+ rounds.

Later
mcb

·
Registered
11 Posts
have friends here in ne ohio that buy by the case,and use their loads for idpa competition.i've gone thru 1000's total with several different calibers.and many hundreds of their cast bullets(copperclad) used in reloading .44 spec and magnums.good stuff/people. steve

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately for me their 40 S&W does not make major. I have talked to them about it but they did not seem to want to do to much for me. I measured the velocity with two different Chronographs so I sure it was not the chrono. So I have not purchased anymore. I love the ammo for the price and is shoot really well in my guns but it only makes a PF of about 154 in my tactical and even worst in my service. Its not low enough to use for minor and not enough for major. I am probably going to start reloading soon.

mcb

·
Registered
11 Posts
don't know anyone shooting uspsa matches.is it fun ? bad guys seldom if ever ask if you are using "major" or "minor" loads ! in idpa at least,with plain brown targets,have noticed 9mm hits hard to see,.40's easier.if range officer says to "nutralize before moving on,can more readily see/know when to move onto next target.without using up mag. capacity with just incase shots. steve

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
USPSA is a lot of fun. I have been shooting down at Crooked Creek Conservation Club with the Crooked Creek Pistol League. Check there web site out in the link above. They have pictures of many of the stage layouts that we have shot this season. If you check the link to my web site in my signiture out. There is some video of my shooting two of the stages.

Where are you shooting IDPA in NE Ohio?

mcb

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You're saying their 40 doesn't make major? I'm curious now, assuming a 180gr bullet, its only got to go 916fps, or 1000fps if using a 165gr.

Are you certain the chrono isn't fubared?
Their site is listing 1006fps for a 180 which is well above major.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to consult my log book at home but out of both of my XD-40's I was getting low to mid 800's. I'm pretty sure the tactical was ~850fps and the Service was ~820fps. I will confirm that this evening when I get home.

It was after a match and one of the range officers got his chronograph out and was testing some new loads he was working on. I asked him to shoot some of mine through his chrono; I was just curious at the time I really did not expect the loads to be below major. As pointed out they advertise 1006 fps with 180 grain bullet that is a PF of 181 so I figured making Major, a PF of 165, would be no problem. The RO's chrono was a real nice three gate chrono. I did not get the brand name. It had a nice calculator built in that would let you enter bullet weight and it would calculate PF for you right on the screen.

Needless to say I was disappointed as I had about 600 round of it left when I discover this. I hoped that it was his chrono, I thought the fact that we had tested late in the afternoon on a cloudless day might have messed with his chrono. I have read that direct sun especially coming from a low angle can sometime cause problems with light gates on chronos. So my next trip to the indoor range I got out my own Chrony Alpha and the indoor lights out and tested again. I got the same number within the accuracy you would expect.

I called National and asked them about this and they said that some one had tested the load for them (IIRC a local police force) and they had not personally test that load. He was kind enough to go check that the loader was using the correct amount of powder, but was unwilling to change anything, off of just my data. I think if a few more people showed them that their load was not making their publish data they should at least change there data if they are unwilling to change their load.

Great guys, very functional remanufactured ammo but it simple does not perform as advertised. A bummer to be sure.

mcb

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s the chrono Ampleworks. I could have sworn it had three gates but maybe I remembered wrong.

I have not yet shot down at Circleville. So far the only place I have shot is over at Crooked Creek Conservation Club. Unfortunately Circleville is about a 3.5 hour drive for me up here on the east side of Cleveland. The next closest USPSA group is over in area 8 in Erie PA. One of these times my Wife will be headed down in the Columbus area for and Archery tournament maybe it will fall on a weekend your guys are shooting and I will join you.

mcb

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Thats a shame about that ammo not making major! Hey if yu get a chance to shoot at circleville, do it! Great place to shoot, they always run a good match and you will most likely find Steve Anderson shooting there, hes a Master shooting with the XD in production and also the sponsored XD shooter of Pistol-gear.com.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just look up my note from that chrono session at the indoor range.

1) XD-40 Service
9rds
Low:792fps
High:849fps
Average:821.6fps
Std. Dev. 19.28
PF=147.9

2) XD-40 Service
10rds
Low:799fps
High:856fps
Average:824.9fps
Std. Dev. 15.93
PF=148.5

3) XD-40 Tactical
9rds
Low:826fps
High:872fps
Average:846.9fps
Std. Dev. -
PF=152.4

2) XD-40 Tactical
10rds
Low:838fps
High:891fps
Average:868.8fps
Std. Dev. 19.41
PF=156.4

The two 9rd groups are because I managed to miss one of the gates somewhere in firing ten rounds. The XD-40 Tactical had a bit less than 1500 round through it at the time of this test. The XD-40 Service has a bit over 2000 rounds through it.

Oh well.
mcb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts